Author Topic: James May and Richard Hammond may leave Top Gear  (Read 19794 times)

von_khan

Re: James May and Richard Hammond may leave Top Gear
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 11:10:32 am »
I agree with 'Cortina', Top Gear was far far better in the early days.

May & Hammond might be holding out for more cash... they might even value them selves so highly as to stick to the "we want the same pay as Clarkson" principles and quit the show. 

If they do leave, the only UK terrestrial channel they can goto is ITV or Channel 4 - those channel's don't have a decent motoring program so might possibly be interested in the 2 of them - but with those two I envisage a copycat version of Top Gear, with slightly less denim & hair products.

I reckon Top Gear needs a massive shake-up... it needs to be about the cars again, not about the bloke'ish bravado of the ego-centric presenters and their lame, poorly scripted, unconvincing jokes, and the oh so poor 'lets see how far we can fire a caravan' bollocks.

May and Hammond should go, as should Clarkson... lets all cross our fingers and pray for the rebirth, born again, Top Gear 2.0 AC (After Clarkson), and focus on what the program should be about - cars.

M.

The banter is why I enjoy watching it... otherwise it'd be a giant yawner.  ;D

Greg B.

Re: James May and Richard Hammond may leave Top Gear
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »
I enjoy it, but at times their stunts get more than a bit ridiculous and those parts seem to be getting tiresome for me. The amphibious car stunt was funny the first time they did it but just stupid the second time around. The celebrity in a low-priced car track segment and interview is always a snooze. I do enjoy the car versus alternate mode of transportation races they have done. But it always comes down to the reviews.

Clarkson is good even though his ego is obviously huge. I like Hammond and hope he stays. May does nothing for me and I seldom find him amusing.