Author Topic: Traffic Circles  (Read 5763 times)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic Circles
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2008, 04:54:48 pm »
This will be a very interesting weekend at that intersection, a lot of people will tow RVs and boats going thru it, and they are seeing a traffic circle for the very first time. Lotsa runabouts I am sure. Some people are clueless when it was a 4-way stop.

Sounds like it might be worthwhile to get bag of popcorn and camcorder and station yourself there for a couple of hours.  :)

xviper

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »
Oooh ...................... "As the Circle Turns".  Should make for a good weekly series.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 06:10:07 pm »
I was "brought up" with roundabouts.   I only indicate just before my exit... just to let people at that same entrance know that they now have a gap to accelerate onto the roundabout.

On a multi-lane conventional roundabout i would tend to stay in the outside lane.  If the roundabout is empty of traffic and I am going straight across I'd usually take the shortest path through tho', using all the road.

I am not sure I'd dare to do that in Canada as the populace is just not used to roundabouts. In the UK, France and Spain it works well and one can get through them quite fast with some care and anticipation as one approaches the entry point.

:iagree: They are just second nature to me, but I remember thinking as a learner, how can you use mirrors, indicators, clutch, accelerator, steering wheel, and look where you're going all at the same time!  I think 3 lane roundabouts are scary as a learner, because you don't have much space to make your decision and move.

Now my commute involves 3 x 3 lane roundabouts, it's easy, left lane for turning left, middle lane for straight ahead, right lane for turning right, and filter across lanes toward the edge as you go round.  :drive2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...