Author Topic: Child abuse?  (Read 4920 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Child abuse?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 04:26:42 pm »
People are produced in large numbers by unskilled labour.... doesn't matter if we lose a few in the process.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:15 pm »
People are produced in large numbers by unskilled labour.... doesn't matter if we lose a few in the process.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: There are a few on my street.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 06:35:08 pm »
...Aaawww can't we just makeup a few more  whilst trying to get our PAPERS...............I've almost got tha hang of it.........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Mitlov

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 12:03:10 am »
We've been through this before.  I am not joking in the least.  Helmets = message that biking is dangerous -> over-use of cars.

Really?  I don't remember this very memorable theory.  Maybe memory loss caused by an overly-tight motorcycle helmet? ;)

In all seriousness, if your theory had ANY validity, people would have abandoned cars long ago for busses and subways.  Cars are absolutely chock-full of scary, intimidating safety features, from seat belts to airbags to active head restraints to stability control.  It's a whole hell of a lot more than subways and busses have (overhead grabrails and...well...that's about it).  It's also a whole lot more than a $30 bicycle helmet, for the record.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 01:49:57 am »
I always find it rather amusing that they have a whole isle of chips at the grocery stores. I might buy one bag a year. I've never understood where somewhere people get the desire to eat these things so much.

I have had this conversation of addiction vs choice, responsibility vs disease and so on with a friend who is now convinced that at some point, the problem becomes pathological and biochemical in nature.

In the meantime, here a humourous explanation courtesy of the satirical online newspaper, "The Onion:rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 08:45:30 am »
Good!  Helmets stigmatize bicycles as dangerous and promote car culture.

Okay, I'm 99% sure you're joking, but could you please just confirm for me that this post wasn't serious?

We've been through this before.  I am not joking in the least.  Helmets = message that biking is dangerous -> over-use of cars.

And that's why kids don't play hockey any more, they have to wear helmets, and that makes them think it's dangerous.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

wannabe4x4ing

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

LOL!!!  :rofl:  :rofl:

My Riley is constantly covered in bruises and scrapes. He is a 3 1/2 year old little boy who loves playing outside and favors activities where danger is involved. He falls down, gets back up. He only comes to me when something is bleeding - after which, he gets a bandaid and goes right back at it.

If he's playing on his bike on the driveway I don't make him wear a helmet. If we're going to a bike ride about town, I do. Only because there are a lot of idiots out there and I would be devastated if anything happened. I also wear a helmet, and I found a little helmet for Devon when he rides in the bike trailer behind us (damn thing cost me nearly $90.00 in a specialty shop!!).

He has a trampoline. Guess what? It doesn't have a net.

I don't have those snaps for the stove or the fridge or the toilet bowl. I don't have those plastic knobs for the doors, or clips for the cupboards (Riley's over it now, but I fully expect to be picking up tupperware and pans that Devon has pulled out and used as drums on the floor).

I firmly believe that those snaps, those plastic knobs, safety nets and plastic clips have only bred laziness into our parents. Much like the arguments that too many safety features on a car has lead to careless and unskilled drivers, I think that we have obviously continued to thrive for centuries without safety nets and plastic devices and it is my responsibility, as their parent, to keep them out of harms way and, when they're old enough, teach them to keep themselves safe.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:39:56 pm by wannabe4x4ing »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 04:35:36 pm »
..WHO iz dis HELMUT!!!....vy ish he kishing U.....can we see Za Trampoline Pics on U -TOOB ???...... ;D :stick: :lick:....

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 07:39:29 pm »
I insist my kids wear their helmets.  If they suffered a disabling brain injury from a serious crash, guess who has to take care of them for the rest of their lives?   I do not want to go back to spoon feeding them and wiping their butts. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 07:47:19 pm »
I insist my kids wear their helmets.  If they suffered a disabling brain injury from a serious crash, guess who has to take care of them for the rest of their lives?   I do not want to go back to spoon feeding them and wiping their butts. 

Good idea.  However most parents don't even realize that a fall from even a standing position is sufficient to cause brain damage or even death.  How any parent can allow their kids to ride a bicycle of skate with no head protection is beyond me..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 08:02:04 pm »

Good idea.  However most parents don't even realize that a fall from even a standing position is sufficient to cause brain damage or even death.  How any parent can allow their kids to ride a bicycle of skate with no head protection is beyond me..

So true. Even the parents that don't wear a helmet themselves. Who will take care of the children if something happens to them.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 09:58:15 am »
As we are discussing bicycle safety. Interesting article here.
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/445155

Dangers of cycling Toronto streets reduced by training, bike officer says

CYCLING RULES TO LIVE BY

Some safety tips for cyclists from Const. Hugh Smith, head of bike training for Toronto police:

Ride with the flow of traffic, but within your limits. Experienced cyclists can manage busy streets, but recreational riders should walk their bike on the sidewalk when they feel unsafe on a road.

Always follow the regular rules of the road. Don't make your own up.

Be visible. Put a light on the front and blinking reflector on the back of your bike. Wear a white or yellow shirt and put reflective tape on your backpack to ensure drivers can see you.

Always wear a helmet, regardless of age or experience.

If passing a car on the right, you should do so at almost a walking speed and watch for turning signals at intersections.

Safely opening a door is the responsibility of those inside a parked vehicle, but you must always be cautious and try to stay about a metre out from the cars, and use a horn to signal your approach.

Police cracking down this week on abuses by two road adversaries: drivers and cyclists
Jun 18, 2008 04:30 AM
Dan Robson
staff reporter

Sgt. Jeff Zammit knows how dangerous biking on Toronto streets can be – it's literally his day job.

The 22-year police veteran is in charge of the 40-officer community response unit doing bicycle patrols in west-end 14 Division.

Zammit says cycles are an essential tool of urban law enforcement. Crimes have a nasty habit of occurring in parks and off-road areas that officers on bikes can access and cruisers often can't.

Lawbreakers can't hear wheeled officers coming up behind them, and in heavy traffic, cycling cops can often get to a scene first.

But along with the advantages, come dangers.

Zammit can name the risks a city cyclist faces – car doors opened blindly, trucks barrelling by, endless canals of streetcar tracks. While sympathetic, he also urges riders to take proactive measures to protect themselves.

Many seem to think the road rules for cyclists are different than for cars "when in fact they're not," he says, adding he often sees people pedalling through red lights and along sidewalks – practices that infuriate others.

The ongoing struggle between cycles and sedans on Toronto's crowded streets has been a topic during June bike month.

Last Sunday a gathering paid tribute to Alan Tamane, a 47-year-old father of four who was killed when he collided with a garbage truck on a converging lane of Bayview Ave. while he was cycling to work a year ago.

And just last month, a 57-year-old cyclist died when he was thrown into traffic on Eglinton Ave. W. after striking a car door opened in his path.

The latest tragedy once again brought the safety of Toronto's streets into question.

Two weeks ago cycling advocates and merchants bickered over a proposal to chop a lane of traffic to make room for bike lanes along Annette St. in the west end.

A week earlier 200 peddling protestors invaded the Gardiner Expressway, shutting down traffic.

On Monday, Toronto police began a week-long campaign to corral motorists and cyclists endangering others.

The blitz is focusing on drivers who make unsafe turns, open car doors without looking or steer into bike lanes. Unruly cyclists are also being held to account.

The hope, police say, is to educate users of Range Rovers and Raleighs alike to "share the responsibility" to make roads safer.

Sgt. Zammit is prepared to lead by example.

All officers in his unit are trained in a two-day version of Can Bike, a safety program offered to the public through the Ontario Cycling Association.

He credits the training for his unit's low number of road injuries.

"You think you know how to ride a bike until you actually take the course – it's well worth your while," he says.

According to Const. Hugh Smith, who oversees bike training of Toronto police officers, over 1,400 have taken a version of the Can-Bike course over the years, with many completing advanced courses for special dismounts and high speed chases.

Cycling on the job since 1994, Smith says he's never seen an officer get seriously hurt on a bike.

But he says members of public on wheels run a greater risk because they're unlikely to have had any training.

Zammit would like to see that change.

He says though his unit is cycling day and night, summer through winter, officers are constantly doing drills to ensure they're ready for obstacles they face.

By taking the time for proper training, he says, cyclists young and old can better protect themselves from the dangers of Toronto's increasingly busy streets.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 02:05:21 pm »
 ::)"Huge Smiths Unit is cycling day @ night".......wotta wanker :P