Author Topic: Any watch collectors here?  (Read 22336 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Any watch collectors here?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 02:51:41 am »
Zoo: Dang, z
That's some serious restoration project.
I can almost feel the excitement involved in DIY projects like that...

Well, I fixed my Oakley today.  It turns out, the electrical connection insides were temporarily lost due to moisture..   stupid jeweler.. 

For DIY, i guess i will be replacing ignition coils and related stuff on my little bro's car this weekend, and that will keep me busy... that and going to driving range for stress relief, eh. ;)

anyway..  wonderful watches..  nice nice. :) 

Re: RADOs .. they are wonderful for sure but a little too $ for me now. :)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 10:59:21 pm »
Hey Aqua!

Not matter what make sure you have your caseback and crown gaskets replaced every five years (or every battery change; whatever comes first). The rubber gaskets dry out and the best watch in the world will leak at this point. Most jewellers/watch battery places don't do this.

I buy the gaskets on the internet for pennies a piece and replace them myself and also use the proper silicone. While I don't presently have a pressure tester some watchmakers do. If you have a serious dive watch and plan to do more than swim with it ensure that you get your gaskets replaced at every battery change or movement service (in the case of automatics) and then have it pressure tested.

All my serviced watches have been pressure tested and passed. I took my 1976 6105-8110 Seiko diver SCUBA diving last month with no problems. It raised a few eyebrows on the boat! :o FYI, this is the same watch Nick Nolte wore in The Deep.

Here is the watch pre-resto. Notice the missing lume on the hands:

And after some fix-ups...

[

This is the watch I sometimes like to wear when driving the Chevelle. It is a restored 1969 6105-8000 Seiko diver. It is an earlier version of the above watch with some different features. BTW, like my Chevelle this was a one owner job. I am the second wner of this watch...
Pre-resto:

Post Resto:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:02:50 pm by Zoo »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 11:02:07 pm »
I HAD an older Hamilton Driver's watch.  A true driver's watch..the kind that sits on the side of your wrist not the top.  That way, you didn't have to rotate your wrist to see the dial.  Cool.  Wish I still had it.  So MFer stole it though.....:(

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

barrie1

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 12:08:59 am »
I have given away my Railroad Bulava wristwatch which is the 1st accutron wristwatch that the Railroads ever allowed. I paid near $200. for it in 1963 and my son wears it now. I hear the value is in excess of $2000. in good shape which it is. I also had a Seiko world timer wristwatch which I gave to my eldest son-in-law about 12 years ago when the kids married. I use pocket watchs only now which a Bulova being the star of the fleet of 3 that I own. I keep looking for a real old one with a cover as I don't like them without. My Bulova has a Tag -Haur movement in it which is quite expensive to replace. I was going thru a Flea Market in Aylmer a no. of years back when I found a ladies Rolex from the 30's. My eldest daughter was about to graduate grade 13 at the time so I bought it and had it done up by a jewler friend of mine who put the best parts back in at a reasonable price. Saved me a pile of money and its actually worth so much more then the cost of the new Rolex's now are. It was in a box full of junk  and I ended up paying around $100. for it at the time. Sometimes its good to go thru a few things on occasion at places like this.  :)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 07:41:12 am »
My Wife bought me this for my Birthday this year.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 11:17:40 am »
..LUVERLEY.....wot's tha Tachometer fer..........................the date?...Do U have the time Railton....????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 11:26:55 am »
..LUVERLEY.....wot's tha Tachometer fer..........................the date?...Do U have the time Railton....????
Luverley it is and she shouldn't have...
The Tachymeter is for calculating velocity.
The date is read off the two small hands. The one of the left for dates 10 and above in conguction with the second on the right hand side. What is showing in the picture is the 6 on the right hand dial which is yesterdays date when I took the picture.
The interactive 3d how to work instructions are here. http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collection/link/men/calibre-s-chronograph/index.lbl?w=CJF7110.BA0587
Railton

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 11:40:50 am »
..so another Rotary fer the lucky BOY.....I hate being DIGITALLY challenged..... :thumbup:..isn't it past yer bed TIME!!! :shuffle:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 12:31:01 pm »
Nope, far from bed time. Removing backsplash tiles from the kitchen walls today. Messy job...
BTW, notice the big crack in the crystal? Somehow I managed to do that while in Cuba last week. Phoned Birks today about covering it being only a few months since purchased and they wouldn't. New crystal cha-ching. :(
Railton

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 12:45:26 pm »
Too much sun tan on the watch ... or too much beer exercise movement?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 10:56:14 am »
Blame the lil CUCKOO inside.................. :P...Oooh he's gonna CLOCK me fer that one.... :P..just cover it wif onna yer MonteCrystal cigars.......puff pufff..I'm outta breath just did a 4 minute egg..........
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:58:28 am by safristi »

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 12:33:08 pm »
Nope, far from bed time. Removing backsplash tiles from the kitchen walls today. Messy job...
BTW, notice the big crack in the crystal? Somehow I managed to do that while in Cuba last week. Phoned Birks today about covering it being only a few months since purchased and they wouldn't. New crystal cha-ching. :(
Railton

A new crystal shouldn't be that bad. Some of mine cost anywhere from $5-$3r depending on the watch. New gaskets is pennies in cost. Make sure they install a new crystal gasket and pressure test the watch for you.

Get a quote for sending it to the manufacturer and check some watchmakers in your town. This is not a big job to do and it shoud be back to you in no time. :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 07:17:44 pm »
.....Watcha collecting THIS WEEK ??? ::) :P....@ tha BEEP it will be almost 1 second after the BEEP......... 8)

barrie1

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 09:42:34 pm »
I gave my son-in-law my older Seiko which he cannot wear at this time as the pins for the band have worn out. Everywhere he took it in Portland he couldn't find the correct size as its a model no longer produced. Apparently its a odd size or something and no-one seems to be able to get them. Anyone have any suggestions on hard to get parts for Seiko?  :)

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 07:07:42 pm »
Hi Barrie,

Are you talking about spring bars?

I have lots of spare watch parts as this is a hobby of mine:

I have spring bars from 12mm up to 24mm and I also have "fat" spring bars in the 20mm and 22mm sizes for Seiko divers. Take a pic of what you are looking for and use calipers to measure the distance between the lugs.

If I have what you are looking for I will send you some free of charge.