Author Topic: Sellers Ratings on Ebay  (Read 1235 times)

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
Sellers Ratings on Ebay
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:41:06 pm »
I am fully aware of 'Caveat Emptor', but in general, how much minimum feedback do you consider before purchasing from a seller on ebay?  Yes, it depends on the amount (buying a $5.00 item isn't the same as a $500.00 item) but in general what are people's thoughts?

I've bought many small ticket items ($25.00 or less), but I'm thinking of a big ticket item soon and I want to be comfortable with the purchase.

Thanks. 

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
Re: Sellers Ratings on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:54:39 am »
Look over his feedback and see if he has sold a similar item before. Then e-mail the buyer for their thoughts. I have done this several times and it has come in handy.

I have been scammed by sellers with feedback over 1000 with 99.5% positive ratings. Thanks goodness for Paypal as I was able to recoup some of my costs.

Use Paypal and do not send a cheque in the mail. That's how I got scammed a few years ago. Sure they got kicked off of e-bay but big deal as they got hundreds of dollars this way. >:(

xviper

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:25:10 am »
Link a credit card to your Paypal.  Double protection.  Sellers have to start somewhere.  A new one won't have much feedback.  Nevertheless, I try to find a seller that sells the same thing but has more history.  Unfair, I know, but gotta look after No. 1

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:40:36 am »
make sure they have recent history of similarly priced items too.

dorin

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:02:32 pm »
If in doubt I always ask for a phone number and address before sending money and I call the seller.  I can then chat with them for a couple of minutes and see if I feel comfortable sending the money.  I also look up the phone number to see if it corresponds to the address (or at least if it's the right area code).  In the one or two cases when it felt wrong I apoliogized and offered to cover all their eBay fees.