Author Topic: Honda Civic  (Read 4676 times)

silver

Honda Civic
« on: May 25, 2008, 12:41:03 pm »
I have pretty much decided on purchasing a 2008  civic. The LX and DX-G seem pretty much the same except for wheel size. What difference does 15" versus 16" wheels make. Am i missing something?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Honda Civic
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 02:11:35 pm »
16" should handle better and look better (the 15" are steel right?)

Its a pretty marginal difference in handling. Aesthetics probably a bigger factor.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:42:10 pm »
Other most notable features that an LX has over a DX-G: cruise control, power windows, keyless entry, outside temperature display, variable intermittent wipers, and 60/40 split rear seats.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:54:26 pm »
Factor in tire replacement costs if you plan to own it for a long time.  16" tends to cost a bit more than 15".   

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:21:18 pm »
DX-G has 15" alloy wheels, LX has 16" wheels.

Both have cruise control.

LX adds..

Body coloured door handles
Body coloured heated mirrors
Outside Temp Gauge
Map Lights
Auto up/down for driver's power window (DX-G has PW, no auto)
Rear cupholders
DX-G has keyless, but no trunk release, LX adds trunk release
Variable intermittent wipers
60/40 folding rear seat

So, lots of stuff actually.  This is where the 09 Corolla really won out.  Our CE-"C" has all of the equipment of the LX Civic save for the 16" alloy wheels and variable wipers.  But, the DX-G is $23,238 including GST (AB with block heater, per dealer print out) and the LX is $24,813 with GST in AB, as per dealer print out.

The Corolla was $20,720 including GST, $2518 less than DX-G and $4093 less than the Civic LX.

I liked the Civic, the missus didn't, both of us found the seats uncomfortable, she hated the 2-layer dash.  Then the pricing took it right out.  $2500-4000 premium?  Nope.  Didn't see where the extra dough was going.  Oh, yah, I did.  To everyone financing.  Great, I get to pay for the cheaper payment of those financing?  No thanks.  Drop the MSRP...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:06:07 am »

LX adds..

Outside Temp Gauge
Map Lights
Rear cupholders
60/40 folding rear seat

So, lots of stuff actually. 

How much is the LX over the DX-G.  Not one of those items comes close to an essential, and personally I can't see why anyone would pay the premium over the DX-G for this list.  Body coloured door handles?  Rear cupholders?  Those aren't features...

DX-G is great value.  IIRC, the EX adds a sunroof and other pluses.  But the only thing you gain going from DX-G to LX in my book is bigger wheels, and I'd rather spend the dough on aftermarket alloys for the summer and put the winters on the stock wheels.  Silly Honda...

I do agree, though, the Toyota lineup is very nicely priced.  I looked at a Yaris recently, and the pricing was excellent.  Matrix started very cheap, too...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:32:55 am »
Everything on the LX list above the DX-G I could live without easily, EXCEPT for the folding rear seat.  Even though we have the Scoob wago-on, we could not own a compact sedan without a folding rear seat, and it MUST be split so that my munchkin can ride in the back with the skis.

hoodlum

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:16:46 am »
DX-G is great value.  IIRC, the EX adds a sunroof and other pluses. 

You can also get an optional sunroof and rear disc brakes with the LX.  No need to go to the EX unless you want leather.

silver

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:43:41 pm »
The price difference was about $1000 - so probably not worth it.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:26:30 pm »
Is my imagination or are they putting the "Hybrid" wheels on regular Civics?

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:48:12 pm »

Not your imagination!  >:(  They're putting the hybrid-style wheels on the DX-G.  I was on the Honda lot not long ago and thought, "hey, a hybrid...  nope.  Maybe this one...  nope."  And those wheels are ugly as sin.  If I were buying a new DX-G, I'd be sure to tell them I want the real alloys, or about $2000 off list because the wheels are so hideous...

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Not your imagination!  >:(  They're putting the hybrid-style wheels on the DX-G.  I was on the Honda lot not long ago and thought, "hey, a hybrid...  nope.  Maybe this one...  nope."  And those wheels are ugly as sin.  If I were buying a new DX-G, I'd be sure to tell them I want the real alloys, or about $2000 off list because the wheels are so hideous...

I got fooled too when a coworker showed up with a loaner Civic.  I asked him what it was like to drive a Hybrid, he told me it was just a normal Civic.  Since then,  I have noticed a lot these about.  I agree, I would rather have steelies with caps than those wheels.

SkiBunny

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 06:04:39 am »

LX adds..

Outside Temp Gauge
Map Lights
Rear cupholders
60/40 folding rear seat

So, lots of stuff actually.  This is where the 09 Corolla really won out.  Our CE-"C" has all of the equipment of the LX Civic save for the 16" alloy wheels and variable wipers.  But, the DX-G is $23,238 including GST (AB with block heater, per dealer print out) and the LX is $24,813 with GST in AB, as per dealer print out.

The Corolla was $20,720 including GST, $2518 less than DX-G and $4093 less than the Civic LX.

I liked the Civic, the missus didn't, both of us found the seats uncomfortable, she hated the 2-layer dash.  Then the pricing took it right out.  $2500-4000 premium?  Nope.  Didn't see where the extra dough was going.  Oh, yah, I did.  To everyone financing.  Great, I get to pay for the cheaper payment of those financing?  No thanks.  Drop the MSRP...
Very informative post.  What about the difference of the fabrics and interior refinement?  (I've read posts on some boards stating that the 09 Corolla CE is poor in this regard.)

As for alloy wheels, I hate em.  After a few years they can corrode from road salt, then they begin to look shabby and they don't properly bond with tire beads so the tires slowly leak around the rims.  Gotta love reflating the tires in winter every few weeks, brrrr.

Offline vaff3

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Accord, 2001 Acura MDX
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 11:01:50 am »
I bought the LX over the DX-G for two reasons:  first, the DX-G wheels were u-g-l-y; second, the variable intermittent wipers, which my other car doesn't have.  Minor, petty, cosmetic? Yes.  But if I'm buying a car, I want to be able to enjoy it, not just endure it.

The Civic is a great car, so find the balance between what you want and what you can afford and go for it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 12:02:06 pm »
Local dealer has sign on a Civic 80 km/gallon  ::)

SkiBunny

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 01:18:07 pm »
Local dealer has sign on a Civic 80 km/gallon  ::)
That's close to 50 mpg.  That's about right for hwy mileage according to the Government of Canada's publication EnerGuide Fuel Consumption Guide.  Bear in mind that it's an imperial gallon, not a US gallon.

Back to my question, is the fabric in the Corlla CE and LE poor compared to the fabric in the Civic DX-G or LX ??  Is the civic much more "refined" inside?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:20:02 pm by SkiBunny »

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »
Granted most of my time was spent looking at the S and XRS models but interior wise the Civic versus Corolla are similar.  The Corolla is more traditionally designed and looks more conservative.  The buttons are not quite as solid as the Honda button but then almost nobody does dashes as solid as Honda in my opinion.  The Civic is sleeker and the interior feels solid and it may be a bit nicer than the 09 Corolla but I wouldn't say its a huge difference.

Versus the old Corollas I have no idea.

SkiBunny

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:52 pm »
Thank you.  I see on the specs that the Corolla S and XRS have "sport fabric", which I guess is better than the fabric on the Corolla C and LE.

As for the more solid dash in the civic, I think what stands out more is whether one likes that weird 2-level dash.  On the road, I can read the digital speedometer of civics beside me.  I had a digital dash on a 300ZX over 20 years ago, which was a $500 option LOL, and the car magazines of the day dissed the Z's digital dash as gimmicky.  Purists preferred analog guages, but I got used to the digital dash fine.