Author Topic: New-shape Audi S4 super charged V6...  (Read 5292 times)

loser40

New-shape Audi S4 super charged V6...
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:29:47 pm »
Hi...

Just read this on the UK website www.carmagazine.co.uk .

Audi will unveil its hot S4 saloon in autumn 2008 - and it's losing the V8 engine of old in favour of a new supercharged V6 petrol engine producing around 350bhp.

"CAR Online has unearthed some concrete details on the S4 at today's launch of the twin-clutch S5; the S4 will share this S-tronic transmission and its lightning-fast 200ms gearchanges. The S-tronic gearbox weighs 142kg - around 40 kilos more than the six-speed manual. However, performance is actually faster with the twin-clutch 'box and emissions are lower, too.

Powering the S4 is a new 3.0-litre supercharged V6, which will send its power to all four wheels through Audi's Quattro drivetrain. Top speed will again be limited to 155mph while the 0-60mph sprint is forecast to be just under six seconds.

Expect to see the new S4 at the Paris motor show this autumn before UK sales kick off in early 2009. Saloon, Avant estate and convertible bodystyles will again be offered, with styling inspiration taken from the S-line A4 models (pictured).

When will the next RS models be offered? The RS4 won't be seen before 2009. Michael Schoffmann, Audi's transmission boss, told CAR Online: 'With RS models we can make the gearchanges on S tronic even faster; regular models take 200ms, but on RS models we can trim that to 140-150ms.

'You'll have to wait until 2009 to see something, though!' "

Put me down for an RS4 Avant with S-Tronic please Santa.

M.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:33:17 pm by loser40 »

vdk

Re: New-shape Audi S4 super charged V6...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 05:45:20 pm »
A supercharged Audi just doesn't seem right...  :'(

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:47:22 pm »
:iagree: Needs a V8.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

loser40

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:52:50 pm »
Me again...

The thing you must remember is that the V6 weighs less and will give better driving balance & dynamics and similar performance.

VW has a history, in Europe at least, of supercharging turbo engines... they may add turbo's to this version too at some point.  They can get nearly 300 bhp out of a 2 litre 4 cylinder without batting an eyelid.  What they could get from a twin turbo supercharged 3.2 ( or an enlarged 3.6 ) V6 is anyone guess - and the fuel economy will be stellar too.

M.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:57:26 pm by loser40 »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 06:06:44 pm »
I think Fiat once got 1,500BHP from a 1.5l turbo racing engine!

:o :o :o

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:32:12 pm »
Supercharged Audis are kind of hearkening back to the pre-war Auto-Unions that did battle with the Mercedes Benz W124-125s. Very advanced for their day.

I like this idea better than using V8s, which I consider better suited to American cars.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:50:45 pm »
I think Fiat once got 1,500BHP from a 1.5l turbo racing engine!

:o :o :o

How's that power band? :P

From what I understand, once you have a turbocharger getting silly power/displacement numbers is quite straightforward. Normally you would be limited by how much oxygen you can take in but with an impeller that you can size to whatever you want....the question is no longer "how much air can we get in one downstroke" but rather "how much do you want?"
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Wolfe

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:08:46 pm »
...the question is no longer "how much air can we get in one downstroke" but rather "how much do you want?"

....Either that or "how long do you want the engine to last before it blows up?"

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:14:17 pm »
...the question is no longer "how much air can we get in one downstroke" but rather "how much do you want?"

....Either that or "how long do you want the engine to last before it blows up?"

Why worry? 'ave another. :cheers:

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »

That's what people said about a twin-turbo Bimmer...before they got behind the wheel.  Let's wait to see what the finished product is like.

Why a V8?  The S4 has previously been powered by a twin-turbo V6 and a turbo inline-5.  It's certainly not always been a V8.  And like others have said, a forced-induction six should be less nose-heavy and more fuel-efficient for a given amount of power output.

vdk

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:34:12 pm »
I'm totally down for a biturbo V6 like in the old days... supercharger? uh? Haven't heard of a factory supercharged Audi in a long time...

Mitlov

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 01:03:00 am »
I'm totally down for a biturbo V6 like in the old days... supercharger? uh? Haven't heard of a factory supercharged Audi in a long time...

So do you have any objection to a supercharged S4 besides the fact that you didn't see it coming?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 01:39:12 am »

Did somone say Audi V8?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 07:26:37 am »

Why a V8?  The S4 has previously been powered by a twin-turbo V6 and a turbo inline-5.  It's certainly not always been a V8.  And like others have said, a forced-induction six should be less nose-heavy and more fuel-efficient for a given amount of power output.

It's my opinion Mitlov, you remember opinions right...

I'd like to see it with a detuned version of the current RS4 engine that's why. V8's don't have to have nose heavy handling, look at the current M3 for example.

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:22:07 am »

Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me asking you to explain your opinion.  Opinions can still have reasoning behind them, no?  God forbid that I'm surprised that "Turbo Bob" prefers naturally-aspirated eights to forced-induction sixes and ask you to explain why... ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:25:16 am by Mitlov »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 12:31:14 pm »

Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me asking you to explain your opinion.  Opinions can still have reasoning behind them, no?  God forbid that I'm surprised that "Turbo Bob" prefers naturally-aspirated eights to forced-induction sixes and ask you to explain why... ;)
:rofl2:

Not sure I like turbo power... I might try supercharged next.  :)

vdk

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 04:54:45 pm »

So do you have any objection to a supercharged S4 besides the fact that you didn't see it coming?

What would you like more? 2 turbos or 1 blower?
I'll take the turbos...

Audi's got a heritage of turbo sport models and I believe it would've been nice for them to continue with turbos...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 11:17:01 pm »
I love the sound of the Mini's supercharger...bring it on!