Author Topic: Hey you body builder's ....  (Read 1989 times)

carburator

Hey you body builder's ....
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:24:21 pm »
You know the machine that you where you sit down near the ground with your legs up in the air (be quiet safristi  ;D) and extend your legs ? I think its called the leg press or something.

You know how there is a bar along the top that goes from the left side to the right side onto which you are suppose to pile the weights on . Usually you put some weights on the left side and some on the right side.

My question is...does it really matter if you divide the weights on either side since the bar is connected to the middle anyways ?  I think it doesn't matter if you pile all the weights on one side or the other. It looks better of course if they are evenly divided but it is not like it is going to be working out only one leg because the bar holding the weights is connected to the middle anyways.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: Hey you body builder's ....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:57:28 pm »
It's called a hack squat machine and to ensure smooth operation and movement the weight should be evenly distributed on the carriage.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:43:50 pm »
It's called a hack squat machine and to ensure smooth operation and movement the weight should be evenly distributed on the carriage.
:iagree: Can't see a reason that you would NEED to do it any other way, but I am curious...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 05:52:22 pm »
I use this machine, and for some reason (my OCD?) I always try to stack the plates evenly.  Of course, it makes no difference, but for some reason, I do it...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:01:25 pm »
It is best to divide weights evenly so that it doesn't place unnecessary stress on the frame.  It is not going to kill you to balance out the weights.

carburator

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:04:54 pm »
OK it makes sense for the smooth and proper operation.

What happened to me was I got lazy. There were two 45lbs weights on the right side. and four of them on the left side for a total of six which is what i usually use. I usually put 3 on each side.
But, since I was just too lazy for me to stack them evenly and I just left four on one side and 3 on the other. Then this guy came up to me and told me that I didn't spread them out evenly. I was only off by one.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:31:48 am »
HOLY SMOKES!!!!!  Now look what happened to you.   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl2:

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 03:11:50 am »
Uneven weight is going to make it want to pivot, which is going to increase friction on the runners.  Yes, it should always be even for smooth operation and for less wear on the machine.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 07:55:28 am »
Try driving your car with 10 pounds of air on one side and 40 on the other. You will understand why it matters very quickly. And the tires won't last long either. ;D ::)