Author Topic: Fisker Karma  (Read 2411 times)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Fisker Karma
« on: November 25, 2008, 01:16:05 am »

Saw this on the news tonight.  Designed by the guy that designed the BMW Z3 and Aston Martin DB9 (!!!), this is a new, premium, plug-in hybrid expected to come to market late next year (read: before the Chevy Volt) and get 50 miles per charge, or 100mpg equivalent for most drivers.  And it still does 0-60 in under 6 seconds!

Price is projected at USD $80 000 for the Karma, but they say they're working on a $40 000 vehicle as well.

My question is, if a relative unknown like this Fisker chap can put together a brilliant-looking, plug-in hybrid, why the hell can't a company with the resources of GM do it?  The Volt should have been here years ago...

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Fisker Karma
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:35:45 am »
This car was at the Detroit show last year......
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:07:53 am »
Price is projected at USD $80 000 for the Karma, but they say they're working on a $40 000 vehicle as well.

My question is, if a relative unknown like this Fisker chap can put together a brilliant-looking, plug-in hybrid, why the hell can't a company with the resources of GM do it?  The Volt should have been here years ago...

Watch "Who killed the electric car":  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489037/

You won't find all the answers and you might dispute those you do find but it's certainly illuminating nonetheless.

One could say:  Fisker's Karma ran over GM's dogma.   :rofl2:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:09:26 am by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:19:34 am »

GM have to make a car that will work in places that are NOT Southern California on a nice day... and thats difficult with electric cars.
and an old saw.    Any engineer can design a water pump for a Rolls Royce but it takes a good engineer to make one for a Chevy (and have it cost only $5).
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:41:57 am »

Any engineer can design a water pump for a Rolls Royce but it takes a good engineer to make one for a Chevy (and have it cost only $5).

Very true Tpl.  :iagree:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 09:27:54 pm »
Now would you say the car's got a  ;D kind of smile or mustaches are back in fashion?  :rofl2:

The reason the big 3 are so behind in bringing a working production EV to the market is the same as  the former soviet communist party couldn't get around to saw a pair of jeans. Their bureaucratic structure is too clumsy and inertial and now they have a depression and the unions to sink them down together with the R&D team.
Tesla with no experience in cars whatsoever has brought an economically viable and very well running sports car in only a few years. It took BMW about a year to make 500 production ready Minis . Allegedly both used AC Propulsion for the drivetrain, even tho Tesla never confirmed it.
So after all it is very much doable if they can lease a lab exhibit for a mere $850, where some of it is insurance cost. It seems a few years from now we will be able to go to a Nissan dealership and buy an EV for less than a equivalent gas car is sold today, sans the batteries, but "batteries are not included". IIRC Nissan says their cost of Li-ions is around 5-10k. Add retail mark up and you get a 10 thou car (without an engine) plus up to 15 grand worth of batteries which comes to 25k in total. Now if batteries are leased on their lease you would pay the same as you'd spend on gas anyway so in the end of equation there is a clean 10k car. If you ask me this model is way wiser than one of Agassi's. Time will tell however..
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:46:44 pm »
There is no way they can hit that price point, the last Fisker I saw was $200K+

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:57:19 pm »
^^^^Agreed.  When I spoke to a rep there, I asked what kind of hybrid power, weight targets, if a pure EV, recharge times etc...  And all they could tell me was that is was "secret" but that I would be "impressed" when it came out.

What that meant to me was "We have no idea how we're going to do this, but it should be pretty cool if we ever do"