Author Topic: Honeymoon Suggestions (Asia)?  (Read 1686 times)

baumer00

Honeymoon Suggestions (Asia)?
« on: May 29, 2008, 12:38:37 pm »
So our big day is in September in Toronto but we're also going to Hong Kong in November for another reception/chinese banquet for her relatives in HK.  We've got 3 weeks to spend in Asia, the first week will be in Hong Kong as will the last day or so, so we've got 12-13 days of actual honeymoon that we need to plan. 

We're thinking of doing Bangkok, Cambodia (Siem Reap) and one or two other places, I want a beach destination so I was thinking of Phuket, Koh Samui, Bali (Indonesia) or Langkawai (Malaysia).  Has anyone here been to any of those places and do you have any tips or picks for hotels to check out.  I'm hoping to spend less than $400/night but am willing to spend more for the right beach destination.

Thanks.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Honeymoon Suggestions (Asia)?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:21:34 pm »
Those look like great places. September in Asia isn't too too-bad in terms of hot weather. I have been told that Air Canada offers all-u-can-fly within 3 months in Asia, take as many trips to all the destinations for the bundled price, might worth checkin into.

baumer00

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:38:15 pm »
I wish Air Canada offered something like that, unfortunately they are not offering it right now, nor is Cathay Pacific offering their all-Asia pass, so airfare will likely play a part in our decision of where to go.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:06:04 pm »
Hmmm..maybe you could time your trip with an F1 race or some type of motorsport race at an Asian track?  :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:59:13 pm »
My sister did three months in SE Asia, loved every minute of it.  Now, she was doing the cheap, live-on-the-beach-and-drink-all-day thing, but she absolutely loved Phuket, as I recall.  Bangkok is probably worth checking out, too.  Wherever you end up, enjoy!  Gorgeous part of the world...

And congratulations!  :D

baumer00

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:00:47 pm »
Hmmm..maybe you could time your trip with an F1 race or some type of motorsport race at an Asian track?  :)

Don't think she would go for it and it's not really something that I would be interested in.  I'm still trying to convince her to rent a scooter while in thailand - she thinks we'll kill ourselves.

baumer00

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:02:43 pm »
My sister did three months in SE Asia, loved every minute of it.  Now, she was doing the cheap, live-on-the-beach-and-drink-all-day thing, but she absolutely loved Phuket, as I recall.  Bangkok is probably worth checking out, too.  Wherever you end up, enjoy!  Gorgeous part of the world...

And congratulations!  :D

Thanks for the kind wishes.  Bangkok and Cambodia will be the cultural portion of the trip (for her), so I'm trying to find a tropical beach type of place for me.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:53:10 pm »
I spend 3 winters touring SE Asia so I've been to Bali, Kho Samui, Phuket, Siem Reap, etc but it was all in the 90's so a bit dated. I'm also more of a $5.00 room person, as I was gone for months at a time.

Really enjoyed wherever I went though. Bali is sort of the Australians version of Hawaii, so very touristed but still a beautiful place. Very Hindu, which is interesting. Great crafts/shopping.

S. Thailand also very touristed, don't know if things are quieter now with the Muslim separatist issues down there. Great clear warm water, nice beaches in both places and both Thailand and Bali are very well organized. Bangkok is a very big city, much like London is for England. I liked getting away from the crowds in the ferries, and if they havn't filled in the canals yet, blasting through the narrow canals in a long tail boat powered by a car engine on a gimbal is cool.

Vietnam might be another place to consider, I was there before tourism really started, but no doubt everything is organized now with the beach resorts, etc. Culturally it is also quite interesting with the Chinese/French/American history there and there is lots to see on day trips as the country is basically a long narrow beach/paddy/mountain.

Malaysia also has it's share of interesting things, never spent beach time there though.

What else? Food in Thailand utterly rocks for me, I could spend a winter there just eating. Vietnam is very good, Malaysia ok, Indonesia pretty workmanlike for the most part.

Might be a bit hot in that area still in Sept.