Author Topic: 09 Camry VS 09 Sonata  (Read 9767 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: 09 Camry VS 09 Sonata
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 05:38:44 pm »
 :iagree:

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 05:57:26 pm »
I bought the Sonata in 06, and would buy it again head-to-head with the Camry. I have had zero issues, and my friend who purchased on 05 Camry has had his in the shop on average at least 5 or 6 times with niggly very-un-Toyota-ish problems. He told me the other day, he wished that he had swallowed his pride and gone the same route as I did. He probably got a lemon, which isn't fun no matter what you own - nevertheless, the Sonata would still be the car of choice. I sure wish they had included the iPod jack in the first release.  :(
JWW

Mitlov

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 10:53:06 pm »
Mitlov - BTW, have you bought a 3-4 year old pre-owned premium car recently and experienced first hand the costs incurred ('cos I have & I don't regret it), or are you just presuming that the myth that premium cars = trouble is true. 

If you buy wisely you really can end up with a great owning & driving experience (and a much nicer interior and fit & finish) for the same total capital cost outlay as a "transportation appliance", even if you do have to pay a few extra bucks a week for gas & insurance.

Wow, that's quite the straw man argument there.  I didn't say premium cars have higher maintenance costs.  I said German cars do.  And for the record, I said "higher maintenance costs," not trouble, which are two entirely different things.  Cashing out big bills for scheduled maintenance and wear-and-tear items, because German parts are damn expensive, is not "trouble," but it's certainly "higher maintenance costs." 

And yes, I own a four-year-old German car--one of the very cars you mentioned  ;)  As my signature notes and my avatar depicts, I am the happy owner of a 2004 Jetta 1.8T 5MT.  It has not broken down or left me stranded, but the running costs are far higher than the Civic and the Legacy I've owned in the past.

I don't regret getting my Jetta one bit.  But denying it has higher running costs than, say, a Corolla or four-cylinder Camry is like denying that a BMW M3 gets worse fuel economy than a Yaris.  Admitting that your car has higher running costs doesn't mean you regret owning your car.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:03:27 pm by Mitlov »

SkiBunny

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 07:28:35 pm »
German cars are pretty expensive to maintain, even with independent shops
Especially because they tend to breakdown more than most and require frequent repair. Ugh!