Author Topic: GTR Dyno-ed! Stunning results  (Read 1436 times)

ghost

GTR Dyno-ed! Stunning results
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:13:19 pm »
Nissan quoted 470hp.
Some rich UK bloke bought one and dynoed it.

Staggering 520hp!

http://japancarblog.com/2008/02/r35-gt-r-dyno-test-kicks-official-hp-in-the-nuts/

barrie1

Re: GTR Dyno-ed! Stunning results
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:00:16 pm »
This is not the 1st car to have this happen at all. The Original Corvette engines were almost always underrated in the Hp dept . I think it had to do with Insurance classifications at the time but even the new Vett engine which is rated around 620Hp is underrated also. I am sure there are others who also do this on a reg basis as well.  :)

Jameel

Re: GTR Dyno-ed! Stunning results
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:51:40 am »
Nice numbers.

Japanese car makers use to do this a lot in the mid to late 90's.  There was a unwritten agreement between all the Japanese manufacturers to state their HP numbers at a maximum of 280HP. It had to do with higher insurance rates in Japan. But that was stopped a few years ago.
That's why all the Japanese sports cars of that era and the same HP quoted (3000GT, Supra, 300ZX, Skyline, etc...).  It's only in NA that the really numbers where stated.

What I don't get is, if you're buying a 627HP Vette or a $90,000 GT-R do you really care about the higher Insurance rates? Or is there a huge premium increase if you break that 500HP mark?