Author Topic: Import STi to Canada  (Read 7992 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Import STi to Canada
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 02:09:42 pm »
Shouldn't you compare apples-to-apples meaning the pricing for the similarly equipped models? If so, you should base the savings calculation on a STi with BBS wheels and Navi for $38,795 (US), versus the Canadian model, which includes both standard, for $44,995 (CAN)? Now if you add the import duties (6.1%) you are looking to compare $41,162 (US) to $44,995 (CAN). It’s still a good chunk of money and it’s only getting bigger when you factor in the rest of the elements – taxes, freight, fees, etc.
I understand the frustration for not being able to buy a base model in Canada, but for the comparison purposes I think we should still compare the appropriate models.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2008, 05:08:42 pm »
Shouldn't you compare apples-to-apples meaning the pricing for the similarly equipped models? If so, you should base the savings calculation on a STi with BBS wheels and Navi for $38,795 (US), versus the Canadian model, which includes both standard, for $44,995 (CAN)? Now if you add the import duties (6.1%) you are looking to compare $41,162 (US) to $44,995 (CAN). It’s still a good chunk of money and it’s only getting bigger when you factor in the rest of the elements – taxes, freight, fees, etc.
I understand the frustration for not being able to buy a base model in Canada, but for the comparison purposes I think we should still compare the appropriate models.

Well only if you want those options. If you just want and STI and don't care about the rims. I personally think the stock rims look pretty good and the gold BBS rims look stupid, they also come in silver but IMO not worth the extra 2k and then there is the extra 1.8k for the nav (I'll stick with my $300 navigon).

Look at it this way if you just want a base STI from Canada its over 52K or 43K imported from the US. Yes the one from Canada has upgraded rims and Nav but they are forced upon you by the manufacture. The similarly equipped US model would be $47500 still over $5K less.

If BBS rims and nav were a 9K options in Canada would you get it?
I definitely wouldn't!!
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2008, 10:40:54 am »
Personally, I want an STI with the 2.0-litre, 8,000 rpm Japanese engine. I also want the sportier Recaros that the Japanese get. Oh yeah, and I'd rather have O.Z. wheels than BBS.

Guess what? Subaru doesn't sell that car here. Boo-hoo for me.  :'(

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 03:01:07 pm »
Personally, I want an STI with the 2.0-litre, 8,000 rpm Japanese engine. I also want the sportier Recaros that the Japanese get. Oh yeah, and I'd rather have O.Z. wheels than BBS.

I rather have your Suburban ;D

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

Now your just being a baby.

If you wanted that car you might be able to import it. It would be very pricey and you may not be able to drive it here in Canada but you could probable still import it if you had the money.

Here is the URL, good luck.
http://www.subaru.jp/impreza/wrxsti/index.html

jromanjr

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 08:41:14 am »

Well only if you want those options. If you just want and STI and don't care about the rims. I personally think the stock rims look pretty good and the gold BBS rims look stupid, they also come in silver but IMO not worth the extra 2k and then there is the extra 1.8k for the nav (I'll stick with my $300 navigon).

Look at it this way if you just want a base STI from Canada its over 52K or 43K imported from the US. Yes the one from Canada has upgraded rims and Nav but they are forced upon you by the manufacture. The similarly equipped US model would be $47500 still over $5K less.

If BBS rims and nav were a 9K options in Canada would you get it?
I definitely wouldn't!!

And this is the point of the whole discussion.