Author Topic: Isuzu US looking for new dealers  (Read 3247 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Isuzu US looking for new dealers
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:15:54 pm »
I laughed when I read this. They are letting their current dealers run dry of product with nothing in the pipeline, tell them to 'hold in there' whilest not giving them a shread of information or dignity, then want to sign new dealers up? Good luck!

EDIT, after reading the article, the $40,000 investment is chump change. And if new product does come, might be a fantastic investment.

Wanted: Isuzu dealers (no joke)

Kathy Jackson  |   |  Automotive News / February 5, 2007 - 1:00 am

LOS ANGELES -- It may be the most downtrodden, underachieving brand in the United States, but that isn't stopping Isuzu from trying aggressively to sign up new dealers.

Huh? A brand whose 227 dealers averaged just three sales per month last year wants more dealers?

Indeed. And not only that, some entrepreneurs are eagerly snapping up Isuzu franchises.

What gives?

Isuzu sold just 8,614 light-duty vehicles in 2006, down from 98,066 as recently as 2000. Last year only 15 of its 227 dealers sold 100 or more units. Some observers reckon that Isuzu Motors America is on the verge of pulling out of the U.S. light-duty market.

"I understand, looking at sales figures, how you could say we're in trouble," says Isuzu spokesman Chip Letzgus. "But we have no intention of leaving the U.S. market."

And he says signing up for an Isuzu franchise is a no-brainer for some retailers.

"It does not require a huge investment," Letzgus says. "And we're very easy to do business with."

Letzgus says the company has identified 40 markets where the brand is not represented or underrepresented. Most are on the east and west coasts and in the Midwest. Isuzu wants to add 40 to 50 dealers.

Letzgus says Isuzu has been getting plenty of bites from prospective retailers since launching the drive for new dealers late last year. Since the beginning of the year, two new dealers have been licensed, and Letzgus says a handful of others are in the process.

Profit opportunity

"Isuzu represents a good profit opportunity for the right dealer," Letzgus says. "It could be a used-car dealer or a dealer without pickups or mid-sized SUVs."

Isuzu has only two products: the five-seat Ascender SUV, based on the Chevrolet TrailBlazer; and the i-series pickup, derived from GM's small-pickup platform.

Rebecca Lindland, of Global Insight's automotive group, had written Isuzu out of her U.S. market forecast after 2009, when GM is expected to kill the Ascender. But she put the brand back in after learning of the new dealer push -- and because Isuzu probably will get a version of the redesigned GM small pickup in 2010.

"They still will only have one model," she says. "I still don't see how they can stay in business unless there are some backdoor deals going on that no one knows about."

Despite the sad-sack sales numbers -- down 29.3 percent in 2006 and off 68.3 percent since 2004 -- Letzgus says Isuzu Motors America was profitable in 2005 and 2006.

Joe Chavara, who owns Ford, Lincoln-Mercury and Land Rover franchises in Orlando, Fla., was the first dealer to sign on.

Another new store will be operated by Phil Petrus in Little Rock, Ark., where Isuzu does not have a franchise.

Chavara has dualed Isuzu with his Lincoln-Mercury store, putting an Ascender in the showroom. He says he has no inside knowledge of plans by Isuzu to expand its U.S. lineup.

"But for us, it's a good fit," he says. "Lincoln-Mercury does not have a small pickup, so one reason was to get the pickups. But our priority is the (Isuzu) service business."

Few demands

Isuzu makes few demands of its new dealers.

Chavara says the only requirements were that he purchase 30 Isuzu vehicles, put up an Isuzu sign and buy parts and tools. The entire investment, excluding the vehicles, was about $40,000. Other new dealers may be asked to purchase a smaller or larger number of vehicles depending on local market potential.

Chavara's dealership sold three Ascenders in January, and he says he's getting an average of $200 from every Isuzu service customer.

"I don't think they'll abandon this market," Chavara says. "I'm willing to risk the low cost of entering with the potential upside. Most of my business will be on the service side."

Petrus, 55, had remodeled a building on auto row in Little Rock, Ark., and was selling used vehicles when Isuzu's district manager dropped by last year. The manager asked Petrus whether he would take an Isuzu franchise. Little Rock had no Isuzu dealer.

"I just laughed," Petrus says. "I thought, 'Why in the world would I want to be an Isuzu dealer?'

He had been a new-car dealer from 1975 until 1991. With his youngest son in college, Petrus decided to get back in business and began selling used vehicles. He says he didn't know much about Isuzu but saw a Rodeo last year and liked it. Petrus bought it and put an ad in the paper.

"Lo and behold, I had two people fighting over it," he says.

Petrus asked them why they wanted the car. They said they had either owned an Isuzu before or knew someone who had. Petrus then bought an Ascender, sold it quickly and began to think about getting the franchise. "I'm sure I'll get kidded about it," he says.

Petrus ordered his first shipment of 25 cars in January. The investment, excluding the cars, was about $65,000. "I was amazed at the investment," he says. "When I had my other stores, I was used to $1 million or so for anything."

'I've put in millions'

That low cost of entry has riled Jim M'Lady, owner of Jim M'Lady Isuzu in Crystal Lake, Ill.

"They're asking new dealers to come in here with hardly any money," says M'Lady. "I've put in millions."

M'Lady is embroiled in a dispute with Isuzu, which says he isn't selling enough cars or advertising the brand. M'Lady, who also owns a Nissan store, sold only three Isuzus last year. He wants to keep the franchise but handle only service work.

The company has informed M'Lady that he must keep an inventory of at least 60 vehicles, sell at least 20 new vehicles a month and spend at least $15,000 a month on advertising.

"This is crazy," says M'Lady, who says he sold more than 100 Isuzus a month in the early 1990s.

The dispute goes to a hearing in April before the Illinois Motor Review Board.

"I don't think it is fair what Isuzu is doing," M'Lady says. "I'm not selling any vehicles because people don't want them. I want to keep it because of the service. But they want me to sell 20 a month.

Letzgus would not comment on the M'Lady situation but says the new dealers are not getting special treatment. He says each must sign the standard franchise agreement.

Letzgus says: "We are looking for our current and future dealers to put an appropriate amount of energy and focus on selling the cars." 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 02:18:43 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline TSXKid

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Isuzu US looking for new dealers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 10:30:30 am »
Good find SirAqua..... Lets sign-up:

AquaTSX Isuzu!
1099 Isuzu Dr GTA Ontario

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 01:41:47 pm by TSXKid »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: Isuzu US looking for new dealers
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:47:47 pm »
Well, so much for that effort...

Isuzu to exit U.S. light vehicle market

Kathy Jackson
Automotive News
January 30, 2008 - 4:39 pm ET

LOS ANGELES -- Isuzu has made it official: It is leaving the light-vehicle market in the United States.

In a conference call today with the board of the U.S. Isuzu Dealer Advisory Council, Isuzu said it will stop selling new vehicles here on Jan. 31, 2009.

" It's very sad," said council Chairman John Galeani, who owns City Isuzu in Jacksonville, Fla. " I've been with them for 20 years, but they are committed to making it as painless as possible for the dealer body."

In a press release this afternoon, Isuzu Motors America said it is leaving because General Motors may discontinue the Ascender SUV and its small-pickup platform.

Isuzu has 201 dealers and sells only two models -- the five-seat Ascender, based on the Chevrolet TrailBlazer; and the i-series pickup, derived from GM's small-pickup platform.

" It has always been our intention to remain in the U.S. market," Terry Maloney, Isuzu Motor America's CEO, said in a statement. " However, we were unable to secure any commercially viable replacements for these vehicles.

" Although Isuzu will cease supplying passenger vehicles in North America, it will continue to stand behind its customers and dealers here for years to come.

" Specifically, Isuzu will continue to honor all product warranties and roadside-assistance programs and will maintain its owner relations call center. Isuzu will be offering all current U.S. dealers the opportunity to continue on as service dealerships for Isuzu."

Roy Greenblatt, who owns three Isuzu stores in New Jersey, said the company has offered generous buyouts.

1. Dealers will receive $1,000 per new car they sold on average for the past four years.

2. They can remain Isuzu service dealers.

3. The company plans to spiff up incentives to help dealers clear out their inventory.

Greenblatt said the company will sign new contracts with dealers who want to stay.

" These are nice deals for the current dealers," he said. " The blue sky isn't much for Isuzu stores. They're paying us more than we could probably get if we sold the stores on our own."

Isuzu sales have slid from 103,937 in 1999 to 7,098 in 2007.

Isuzu signed 13 new dealers in the past year. Those dealers mainly were in the used-car business or had franchises that did not have trucks.

" I think when they signed on the new dealers, they really believed they were going to get new product," Greenblatt said.

Isuzu will stay in the medium-duty truck business in the United States. Galeani has a medium-duty franchise.

" The medium-duty business is big enough for us to be OK," he said. " We'll survive. But this still is no fun. This is a very sad day."

A Japanese failure in the United States is a rare occurrence. The last Japanese automaker to pull out of the United States was Daihatsu, which offered the Rocky small SUV and Charade subcompact in the United States from 1988 to 1992.

But the company never sold more than 17,000 units a year and was forced out of the United States because of voluntary export quotas in affect at the time.

Daewoo, a Korean automaker, quit the U.S. market in 2002.