Author Topic: Mercedes, Audi weigh in on US/Canada price disparity  (Read 3818 times)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Mercedes, Audi weigh in on US/Canada price disparity
« on: October 28, 2007, 02:44:16 pm »
Globe and Mail: Loonie prompts Mercedes rebate
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071027.RMERCEDES27/TPStory/National

Like BMW, Mercedes will be offering rebates for cash buyers, ranging from $750 on B-class vehicles to $7500 on AMG cars.  Of course, if one shops in the US there's even greater savings to be had.  Just like BMW, Mercedes is going at this half assed.  But it's this straight-up :censor: from the Mercedes Canada president that's even more offensive:

"The cars we sell here are cars made for Canada," he said. "The cars in the United States are not made for Canada."

Right.  Canadian cars might have a standard block heater.  I think that justifies the $10 000 price disparity too, Mr. Breitschwerdt.

But they're still doing better than Audi:
Audi Canada joined the parade with a full-page newspaper ad, complete with a letter to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, saying the Ingolstadt, Germany-based car maker is offering the best lease and finance rates in its history.

Great - so I pay a lower interest rate on a higher principle.  In the States, the base cost is lower, so however Audi tries to spin it, the car can be had cheaper.

:thumbdown:

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: Mercedes, Audi weigh in on US/Canada price disparity
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 02:58:32 pm »

"The cars we sell here are cars made for Canada," he said. "The cars in the United States are not made for Canada."

Right.  Canadian cars might have a standard block heater.  I think that justifies the $10 000 price disparity too, Mr. Breitschwerdt.

Ok ok ok. The speedo is in MPH and not KPH. That must account for $9000 of the difference.  ::) :rofl:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 03:27:45 pm »

They really don't have any ideas, do they? ;D

Perhaps they're just reserving that final option of invalidating warranty, though I guess the US arms could always hit back with a reimbursement program like Scoob. Not sure if the Canadian and US arms collude or compete. Maybe a bit of both.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 03:28:47 pm »
I don't think they meant the cars are that different (EDIT: just read the story and think you all are right on the interpretation after all  :rofl2:), I think they meant they're being imported FOR Canada or FOR the US and as such the pricing cannot be identical because of the Euro. Sometimes those Germans can't communicate what they intend to say well in English.

Benz is offering a discount on the B, a car they dropped the price on already for 2008 :thumbup: and is not even available in the US :thumbup:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 03:32:29 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 03:29:44 pm »

Ok ok ok. The speedo is in MPH and not KPH. That must account for $9000 of the difference.  ::) :rofl:

Come on guys.....don't forget the French airbag stickers ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.