Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan four-cylinder  (Read 12915 times)

Offline soj

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 CSX, 1997 1.6 el, 1991 740 Turbo Wagon
Re: CD Article: 2008 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan four-cylinder
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2007, 03:45:08 pm »
When a car first comes out, I find that they either capture my attention and imagination or not.  I'm afraid the new Accord is the latter category.  The styling leaves me cold and the "bigger and better" theme just seems out of sync with the emerging new reality.  No doubt Honda did their marketing homework and the car will probably sell well but I have to wonder where the model bloat train will stop.     

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2007, 03:48:14 pm »
When a car first comes out, I find that they either capture my attention and imagination or not.  I'm afraid the new Accord is the latter category.  The styling leaves me cold and the "bigger and better" theme just seems out of sync with the emerging new reality.  No doubt Honda did their marketing homework and the car will probably sell well but I have to wonder where the model bloat train will stop.     
I agree that this Accord seems bloated but the Civic has grown to fill in the old Accord gap and the Fit 'fits' into the old Civic gap. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Offline soj

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 CSX, 1997 1.6 el, 1991 740 Turbo Wagon
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2007, 03:59:08 pm »
I agree that this Accord seems bloated but the Civic has grown to fill in the old Accord gap and the Fit 'fits' into the old Civic gap. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Right you are, the current Civic is bigger that the first Accord but one still has to wonder where it will all end.  Honda has apparently said as much, the gains resulting from ever improving engine efficiently have largely been offset by increasing vehicle size because that's what the market wants.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2007, 04:01:39 pm »

Right you are, the current Civic is bigger that the first Accord but one still has to wonder where it will all end.  Honda has apparently said as much, the gains resulting from ever improving engine efficiently have largely been offset by increasing vehicle size because that's what the market wants.
They'll keep doing it until the Accord stops selling. By then the Civic will be full sized (and no longer the top selling car in Canada year after year) and the Fit will get a little brother (or sister). It won't stop.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12424
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2007, 04:23:13 pm »

I agree, to a point.  Nissan bloated the Maxima substantially in the last generation, and Toyota has always had the bloated Avalon - but these guys have Altima and Camry, respectively, to fill the mid-size gap.  Honda has bloated the Accord up to roll with the other fattys, but I don't see too many people cross-shopping Civic with Altima and Camry.  Put another way - I don't think the Civic precisely fills the mid-size gap vacated by the Accordalon.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 04:26:24 pm »
Sure it does.

Just like the Corolla is filling in for the Camry.

Sentra for the Altima.

This is exactly whats happening.

Note that we are now seeing a leather trimmed Civic? No surprise there.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2007, 04:38:07 pm »
Note that we are now seeing a leather trimmed Civic? No surprise there.

This may be part of the Acura project, ditch the CSX and move up a notch.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2007, 06:56:50 pm »
This cars consumption is 30mpg city/44 highway EPA. From my own experience with a much smaller car if I add the two together, divide by 2 and multiply by .8 I arrive at the milage figure that I get. The kind you get by just keeping up with the trafic. I suspect that the earlier Accords must have got better figures than quoted in the specs here. Engine efficiency is a function of compression ratio. CVVT I believe allows the CR to be higher but there are no major gains to be had here. Hence the move to hybrids. Weight reduction is probably the area where the best gains can be made, vehicle and human if you will (that includes me). Ever increasing size is certainly not going to help here. Having a large tank may not be a good idea for many. Carting 150 lb of extra weight around is contra-indicated for good milage especially up hill. Maybe filling your tank half way is a good idea if that is feasable.

Just spotted another spec sheet... EPA 26 mpg city/37 mpg Highway.(Canadian) converted from US gallons. Which is right?
If the latter figures are correct an on the road average might be 25.3 mpg.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:02:11 pm by Rupert »

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2007, 12:56:33 pm »
I won't repeat here the laundry-list of things that I don't like about the new Accord as posted in other threads.  I will, however, repeat a question and hopefully get an answer this time:

How is it that the Accord - now by FAR the largest vehicle in its class (if you consider its classmates the likes of Altima, Camry, Sonata and Mazda 6) ends up with the SMALLEST trunk?  Is it specifically geared towards extra-large passengers with extra-small luggage?

This Accord is a whopping 7.5" longer than the trim Mazda 6 Sedan, yet gives up 1.2 cu. ft. of trunk space to the little guy (14 versus 15.2).  Does this make sense to anybody?

Jaeger

:iagree: Even my father-in-law's 2000 Cirrus does better than that. It's 8" shorter ( 186.0 vs 194.0), has a  2" shorter wheelbase (108.0 vs 110.0) but the trunk is larger at 15.7 cu. ft. vs the Accord's 15.0 cu. ft. AND it doesn't have the Accord's luggage crushing goose-neck hinges. A very cheap touch in a supposedly higher-end car IMO.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson