Author Topic: CTC Review: 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT
« on: October 09, 2007, 11:04:18 pm »
Day 1:

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT
Click Image to Enlarge
Interesting weather we have here in Canada, two days ago I had the air conditioning running in the car and in my home; today I have the heat on in the car and just closed up the house nice and tight.  I haven't had a test vehicle with heated seats in a while, or if I have I certainly didn't feel the need to test them in 30 plus degree weather.  The test vehicle for this week is the Dodge Avenger SXT -- with heated seats. More...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
RE: CTC Review: 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:33:28 pm »
James' neighbours will be wondering why he's driving a rental car this week...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: CTC Review: 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 02:16:09 pm »
I'll take mine in red or black...  that colour really does not suit it.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: RE: CTC Review: 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:01:53 pm »
James' neighbours will be wondering why he's driving a rental car this week...

:rofl2:

That Avenger, and many Chrysler vehicles look very fleet style..ie. "cheap".

Cortina

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:38:57 pm »
Dodges build great looking cars. I just can't help thinking they are doing something wrong. I have not seen many threads of people wanting to buy Dodges or even recommending Dodges. Why is that?

Wing: Have you tried sitting in the back and looking out of the rear side window. Can you see anything?

Also how hot does the drink warmer keep your coffee?  If your coffee is cold does the drinks warmer, warm up your coffee a little?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 12:42:57 pm »
Cortina:  Yes I sat in the back and was worried about the way the window slants but I found it fine for seeing out the side window.  You can't see directly beside you but slightly forward and to the side is fine.

I don't drink coffee so I can't help you there, I don't think it will warm your cold coffee though... it can't get that hot or it would burn / melt things you put in there by accident like wrappers and stuff.  It just gets slightly warm / slightly cool.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 01:06:45 pm »
Cortina : with 3 kids, I would love to buy a car like the Charger or Magnum...but Chrysler is staying away from manual transmissions, keeping enthusiasts - including me - at bay.  Even if a stick would only grab 5% of sales, the added exposure in car mags would generate "free" showroom traffic.

The drink cool-warm-ers are just plugged into the HVAC system.  My '01 Passat had that feature...in the glove box.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 02:41:34 pm »
Dodges build great looking cars. I just can't help thinking they are doing something wrong. I have not seen many threads of people wanting to buy Dodges or even recommending Dodges. Why is that?

Go to this link and scroll through the Chrysler section:

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=23

They've burned a lot of people. I know I've been specifically warned against buying Chrysler products by ex-Chrysler owners.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 02:49:33 pm »

They've burned a lot of people. I know I've been specifically warned against buying Chrysler products by ex-Chrysler owners.

That link is just about useless, most of recall are before 2000 ::)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 02:45:55 pm »

I wouldn't make that a blanket statement.  I know 2 PT Cruiser owners who are both satisfied.  I know that is hardly a statistically valid sample but it does show that Chrysler has been known to build the occasional good car. ::)

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 04:03:46 pm »
Design design design. They lack that.

The outside well the charge is good but the avenger looks a bit odd like it's not quite sure what it wants to do. Once inside the fit and finish and just the greyness of it all doesn't make it a great experience. They have what looks like LED reading lights but instead of looking cool they just look odd. It's little things like that which makes it so much  harder to sell those cars to people. Especially when people think your cars will break.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 04:21:21 pm »
I wouldn't make that a blanket statement.  I know 2 PT Cruiser owners who are both satisfied.  I know that is hardly a statistically valid sample but it does show that Chrysler has been known to build the occasional good car. ::)

That's why I said they burned a lot of people, not all people. The PT actually had an above average rating on CR for a while. And even machines with generally bad reputations always have some happy owners, especially if they got one built with extra care, trade off frequently or are mechanically sympathetic (ie follow an annual clearing computer codes/changing transmission oil procedure). I had good luck with an early 80's X-body GM I had for a while, and they were known for nightmarish reliability.

And of course some people have higher tolerances for trouble or like the vehicles for qualities that override reliability. One of my buddies really liked his HD Dodge pickup with the Cummins diesel, although he remarked in passing once he was on his third transmission. When he got another truck he went Dodge again.

I think that's where the domestics have to excel. There's no way they can match the reliability reputation of Hondayota until they earn it back over time, but they can beat them on styling, fun to drive, interior quality, etc, right now. Combine that with their traditionally larger dealer network and they could do well. The Avenger/Caliber/Nitro/Compass level of effort is not enough IMO, if all the advertising and huge discounts on Chrysler products lately is any indication.

Interestingly I remember a time when Chrysler was known for their bulletproof drivetrains, the slant six or the 318 combined with an 3 spd automatic pretty much ran forever. It's not like they can't design and build reliable stuff.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:23:00 pm by PJungnitsch »

avtoller

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 05:04:27 pm »
 :iagree:  Chrysler products were always 1st choice in my family when I was growing up in the mid-'50s to mid-60s.  ;D ;D

Greg B.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 09:54:10 pm »
Interestingly I remember a time when Chrysler was known for their bulletproof drivetrains, the slant six or the 318 combined with an 3 spd automatic pretty much ran forever. It's not like they can't design and build reliable stuff.

Quite true. Up until the early '70s Chrysler was always known for leading the domestic makes in engineering. Unfortunately those days are long gone as are the engineers. Their problem back then was build quality and product planning.

During the financial crisis in the late '70s Chrysler purged itself of much of its engineering staff. Then in the wake of the Daimler takeover at the turn of the century another whole bunch of people left. Given the instability of the company right now I would be wary of any new Chrysler product for a few years. God knows what you're going to get... leftover M-B bits, supplier-designed pieces, or in-house stuff. They seem to be in disarray. Combined with their deisgn idiom which tends to be love it or hate it, and their seeming inability to design a decent-looking interior regardless of price point, I find their offerings (except for Jeep) pretty unappealing.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 11:15:50 pm »

Heated/cooled cupholders??  ??? ??? Geez, that's some engineering! ::)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson