Author Topic: Yaris or Corolla  (Read 9003 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Yaris or Corolla
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 06:22:59 pm »
I would choose Corolla if you plan to use the car for a road trip across Canada.   You'll probably need the trunk space.   If your kids are still small, they'll fit in anything. 
I would disagree
Kids in car seats, their feet are up high, I find when I have the grandkids in the car I have the my seat closer to the steering wheel

Mitlov

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 09:02:46 pm »
I would disagree
Kids in car seats, their feet are up high, I find when I have the grandkids in the car I have the my seat closer to the steering wheel

True.  Kids themselves fit in anything.  Their carseats don't.  Especially not rear-facing, but even modern forward-facing seats can use up a ton of space.

jambo101

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 09:51:01 pm »
Kids are 18 and 14, wife is 300lbs. :-X

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 06:52:14 am »
 ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 09:48:26 am »
Mosty city driving....Yaris

Mostly highway....Corolla  (However check out the Mazda 3 or Honda Civic or Saturn Astra. They are just as fuel efficient in real world driving and drive much better in my opinion.)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 10:02:07 am »
I would wait the month for the '09MY Corolla. Tonnes more value with safety features standard and the car itself newer so probably better structure, larger feeling and driving car designed to compete in a higher segment, more power with likey no decrease in fuel efficiency. Plus, new bodystyle will help resale if you're tired of it in a few years.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Leviathan

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 01:17:34 pm »
2008.5 Mazda3 Sport GX with the 2.0L engine might be something to check out too.

jambo101

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 07:27:46 am »
Mosty city driving....Yaris

Mostly highway....Corolla  (However check out the Mazda 3 or Honda Civic or Saturn Astra. They are just as fuel efficient in real world driving and drive much better in my opinion.)

Do about 50/50 hwy and city,seems to me the Yaris and Corolla are so similar i'll probably end up getting whatever is cheaper,now that the 2009's are coming out there should be a deal on a 2008

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 02:57:34 pm »
Kids are 18 and 14, wife is 300lbs. :-X

You might need a flat bed then!!!
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 05:42:35 pm »
We have the current generation Corolla, as well as the mechanically similar Vibe (same powertrain) in the family.  Overall, the Corolla drives quite well in the city, but tends to get a little bit "floaty" on the highway.  The same goes for the Yaris, which I have driven as a rental extensively.  In contrast, the second generation NA Ford Focus (the model previous to the current one) drove like a champ on the highway.  However, reliability of the Ford is suspect at best, and in that regard, both the Vibe and Corolla have proven to be very reliable choices.  A good buddy of mine has a 2004 Mazda3, and has complained frequently about brake rotor issues, and problems with CV joints... It appears to drive quite well, though clearly reliability is not the same as the Corolla.  In sum, it depends where you priorities are.  If you need a simple grocery getter, the Yaris will suffice.  A more sporting choice may be the Mazda or Focus.  As happy compromise between the two, the Corolla may be what you need. 

Though in view of the fact that the new Corolla is just around the corner, it may make alot of sense to wait an extra month.  At the very least, the current outgoing model will be cheaper...:)

jambo101

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 06:32:22 pm »

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 07:25:25 pm »
Toyota has a site up for the 09 Corolla now: http://www.corolla.ca/en/

Worth checking it out and having a good solid look.  The old Corolla was not on my list at all due to it being completely outdated and lacking on features/value but now I'm considering it as this new version due out any day now looks like a solid contender.  Aesthetically its significantly better in my mind...particularly the interior.  Much more upscale than before.

Either way prices for Toyotas in Canada are down now so the Yaris is a really well priced option ...even better than before but I always figured an extra few thousand with a slightly larger car with better safety ratings (at least Yaris vs Corolla with the Civic vs Fit its harder as they have nearly the same ratings) is worth the extra money.

jambo101

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 04:38:54 am »
I just did a side by side comparison between the two cars and most features are very similar or just a tad longer,larger,wider on the Corolla and we are talking an inch  or so,the main difference that stands out is the price $14k for the Yaris and $21k for the Corolla,I think i  have figured out which car to buy.