Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Mazda5 GT  (Read 17637 times)

gottarondo

Re: CD Article: 2007 Mazda5 GT
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2007, 01:16:13 am »
I recently rented a non-GT version for two weeks. Wonderful vehicle except for:
. slit-like view through the extremely-raked windshield.
. thick, forward-thrusting A-pillars can block view of other vehicles when you make a turn.

Current Honda Civic has the same A-pillar problem  although the windshield is bigger top to bottom so the "slit-like view" effect is not as pronounced.

That A-pillar problem is awfully common, and I'd love to see some accident analysis that assesses the impact of it, especially with respect to pedestrian accidents.  I think most minivans have it, the Rondo does to an extent, and pretty much anything with that seeks an aerodynamic profile.  I can't decide if it is due to the pillar thickness or just the pillar position, being so much further forward than the average (older) car.  I find I can mitigate it by leaning toward the side window as I look forward, thus visually narrowing the pillar. 

Interesting point about the slit-like view.  I thought your comment was going to apply to the rear window!

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2007 Mazda5 GT
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2007, 12:40:46 am »
I recently rented a non-GT version for two weeks. Wonderful vehicle except for:
. slit-like view through the extremely-raked windshield.
. thick, forward-thrusting A-pillars can block view of other vehicles when you make a turn.

Current Honda Civic has the same A-pillar problem  although the windshield is bigger top to bottom so the "slit-like view" effect is not as pronounced.

That A-pillar problem is awfully common, and I'd love to see some accident analysis that assesses the impact of it, especially with respect to pedestrian accidents.  I think most minivans have it, the Rondo does to an extent, and pretty much anything with that seeks an aerodynamic profile.  I can't decide if it is due to the pillar thickness or just the pillar position, being so much further forward than the average (older) car.  I find I can mitigate it by leaning toward the side window as I look forward, thus visually narrowing the pillar. 

Interesting point about the slit-like view.  I thought your comment was going to apply to the rear window!

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The large sloped windshields in vehicles like the Mazda5, Kia Rondo and my Nissan Versa provide a lot more visibility than the relatively thick A-pillars take away. I've driven all of them and found forward visibility excellent - the view to the rear, especially in the Mazda5 was more problematic because of the small rear quarter-windows. These cars need substantial A-pillars not only to provide structural support and rigidity but crush-resistance in the event of a roll-over, a reasonable trade-off IMO.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson