Author Topic: CD Article: Kia Sorento, 2003-2007  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Kia Sorento, 2003-2007
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:30 pm »
Today's Used Vehicle Review:
Kia Sorento, 2003-2007

Kia Sorento, 2003-2007One of the few smaller body-on-frame SUVs, the Kia Sorento also offered an unusual-for-the-segment five-speed and fuel economy that got better with a bigger engine. Chris Chase looks at the 2003 to 2007 models.

More...

Read the article | All The Used Vehicle Reviews

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Re: CD Article: Kia Sorento, 2003-2007
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:47:05 pm »
The difficulty in finding info is true.  I'm a member of a couple of Kia forums, Sorentosite and Kia Forums, both mentioned here.

So far, the car has held up well.  I almost sold it but decided to keep it for another year at least.  It serves my purpose and it's paid for.  ;D

I've had relatively few problems, although the article seems to miss some of the more common ones yet does mention one I wasn't aware of:  a generalized electrical systems problem.

Specifically, here are the problems which I have seen and which might affect any given 2003-2004 Sorento:

1. Drive shaft issue:
-----   Makes a clunking sound on occasion.  Might be a sign of serious failure or it could be normal.

2. Digital Clock failure:
-----   Clock runs fast and eventually fails.  Dealer will fix under warranty.

3. Fuel gauge failure:
-----   Gauge will start jumping erratically before failing altogether.  Dealer will fix under warranty.

4. Dome light does not always come on automatically:
-----   Loose connection which seems to let in moisture.  Intermittent.

5. Headlights burning out quickly:
-----   Kias seem to go through headlight bulbs quickly.  It could be because they double as DRLs but not sure.

6. Faulty coil pack:
-----   One of the 6 coil packs failed in my Sorento.  Dealer fixed under warranty.  This is rather rare, I think.

Other than that, the beast has behaved itself.  Gas consumption is worse than reported but that seems par for the course given the method of reporting in use prior to the upcoming 2008 model year.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 05:57:47 am »
I looked at the Sorento in the Fall of '02 before deciding to go with my '03 Pathfinder Chilkoot. Sorento seemed like a nice vehicle but the whole Kia reliability thing scared me off. Don't know how the Kia would have stood up but I can report that after nearly 5 years and approx 132,000kms I have made exactly 1 repair to the Pathfinder. (internal voltage regulator in the altenator went bad at just over 90,000 km).

Based on that I'd have to second your suggestion about considering a used Pathfinder (pre 05) as an option.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:26:39 pm »
Thanks for the report Random. I am sure it will help many people.  :)

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 11:31:26 pm »
A coworker has a Kia Sorento.  The power door locks malfunctioned, and after thirty seconds of rapid-fire "lock-unlock-lock-unlock", the front right door jammed itself into lock and couldn't be unlocked.  Apparenly the service place had to cut part of the mechanism out to physically remove and replace the jammed lock.  Admittedly, this was covered under warranty, so she had a headache from it and not much more.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 11:32:05 am »
The difficulty in finding info is true.  I'm a member of a couple of Kia forums, Sorentosite and Kia Forums, both mentioned here.

I never noticed you drove a Sorento, random. Thanks for pointing out those other problems.  8)
I used to work here.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

I never noticed you drove a Sorento, random. Thanks for pointing out those other problems.  8)

I guess I don't blow my own horn as much as others around here. :shuffle: :run: ;D :rofl2:

To be fair, those problems have not returned.  Once fixed, they stay fixed, I guess.  The lights, however, seem to be an ongoing problem for some.  I've only had to replace my front lights once so far but that is more than I had to do on any of my other vehicles.

The best things about the vehicle are (in no particular order):

1)  Handling, yes handling.  Tight cornering radius, not too much rolling.

2)  Winter driving.  I don't get stuck, ever.  Of course, good winter tires always help.

3)  Off road, even rough gravel roads seem easier than when encountering the normal problems on paved roads.  Weird but true.

4)  Passenger room.  I can have three adults sit in the back seat in relative comfort.  Take that, Subaru!  ;D

5)  Can take some fairly heavy loads.  In fact, loading my Sorento with passengers and luggage makes for a smoother ride.

6)  Solid construction.  No loose bits, only one annoying rattle in the seatbelt attachment on the B-pillar and that does not show up much.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 12:33:45 pm »
..Oy Random ...Ya forgot to mention HORN FAILURE....!!!! ;) ;D..Blowin' yer OWN ..doesn't that put yer neck OUT..... :rofl:..where's Ma MOTRIN !!! >:(..

SO...NEXT YEAR can we see ya in a nice PORSCHE CAVE_MAN ????....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:37:33 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once