Author Topic: Think Supermodels are REALLY that much different from us?  (Read 7728 times)

Wolfe

Re: Think Supermodels are REALLY that much different from us?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 10:01:56 pm »
I would think it is mostly people 30-40 and over?  Do young women watch/read Dove ads?

Yes... unless their media buyers are pickin' all the wrong publications for them.  My wife is under 30 and I know the Dove ads really resonate with her. 

Ahh... the magic of advertising.   8)

:iagree: I think that younger people are very media/image savvy and an ad campaign that seeks to deconstruct the beauty myth as the Dove commercial does will resonate well with them.

Hal

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 10:39:44 pm »
Younger people do seem to be much more media savvy today. I wonder if an understanding of the message Dove is sending will actually improve body and image consciousness however. Karen Von Hahn had an interesting article in the Globe a few weeks back about the current teen obsession with documenting their lives on MySpace and Facebook - it was entitled "The new teenage hell". In this case, it appears that the emphasis on image and superficial appearance is increasing rather than decreasing.

mdxtasy

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 10:57:34 pm »

That is why Subaru drivers don’t need a Porsche to make up for shortcomings. ;D

That's right.  They just drive ridiculously fast instead.   ;D

Or they fart in your general direction.  Whoosh....and that's not the turbo lady....but it may be the blow off wastegate.  ;)

barrie1

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 11:13:35 pm »
In other words "Short and thick does the trick".  :) :rofl: :rofl:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 07:23:50 am »
Girth.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 07:27:06 am »
 ::)..... TURNER.........now there's a Lil PR**K :P..
Time is to stop everything happening at once

mar1990

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 01:14:22 am »
Younger people do seem to be much more media savvy today. I wonder if an understanding of the message Dove is sending will actually improve body and image consciousness however. Karen Von Hahn had an interesting article in the Globe a few weeks back about the current teen obsession with documenting their lives on MySpace and Facebook - it was entitled "The new teenage hell". In this case, it appears that the emphasis on image and superficial appearance is increasing rather than decreasing.

We were at toys r us this weekend. While perusing the isles with our kids, my wife mentioned to have a look at the bratz sports dolls.  All I can say is that I was absolutely disgusted by what was on the package. "showing the world that it's not just about how you play, but about how hot you look when you win"  :o  >:( .

Had there been a manager or adult "associate" nearby, (or whatever they call them to make them feel important), they certainly would have gotten an earful from me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 08:27:01 am »
..BRATZ wif SPATS.................... :rofl:..

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 08:29:58 am »

We were at toys r us this weekend. While perusing the isles with our kids, my wife mentioned to have a look at the bratz sports dolls.  All I can say is that I was absolutely disgusted by what was on the package. "showing the world that it's not just about how you play, but about how hot you look when you win"  :o  >:( .

Had there been a manager or adult "associate" nearby, (or whatever they call them to make them feel important), they certainly would have gotten an earful from me.

I grew up with Barbies as the popular doll, Mar.  Not much better, really (although I had no use for them).  Some things never change.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 08:37:20 am »
..YOU appear  to be WELL HEELED......got yer winta's ON YET....or ya still wobbling along on the SILLY_TOES 6 inchers !!!!! ;)

mar1990

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 09:02:06 am »
I grew up with Barbies as the popular doll, Mar.  Not much better, really (although I had no use for them).  Some things never change.

So true, but the boundaries keep getting pushed.  In my opinion, bratz looks so slutty.   20-30 years ago, talking Barbie was chastized for saying "I hate Math..." (had to do with getting more girls into the math and sciences).

The previous week, my daughter (9 yr old) was at a seminar, where one of the presentations was body, image and self esteem.  Made for a case in point...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 11:17:43 am »
Seminars fer 9 year OLDS...now that is Krankin' the KLOCK too fast Forward IMHO.......I'd read that young girls HAD the better self image of the 2(3/4) !!! sexes....but lost it as they reache their Mid Teens....WHY...(ad pressure..peer pressure..Estrogen'testosterone Pressure) poor school/home discipline....lack of supervision..LOVE..caring... Family breakups...Illigitemacy...Irreligious society.U tell me...... ???

mar1990

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 12:29:59 pm »
The event was a sports seminar. It was not geared specifically to 9 year olds... Most of the girls were probably in their early teens.  The point of one of the presentations was about the pressure kids are under with respect to unrealistic expections and pressure, etc, etc. 

Watching her play soccer with her peers, I can't disagree with you about self image at their age.  There didn't seem to be much.  All the girls were getting along really well.
You could be right about all the WHY's though.  I don't know the exact reasons, but we are trying are best to keep her well rounded as she gets older and the peer pressure starts.

My point was when you have toys geared to preteens blatently stating this message, I think a boundary has been crossed.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 01:06:42 pm »
Ya need ta Increase the LARD in her diet !!!! ;) :thumbup: :nono: :foil:

mar1990

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 01:27:08 pm »
Ya need ta Increase the LARD in her diet !!!! ;) :thumbup: :nono: :foil:

That just might make her TOO well rounded!!! :rofl: