Author Topic: Total Writeoff; What should I get?  (Read 14618 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Total Writeoff; What should I get?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 11:54:45 am »
I was referring to to the links that you posted and not what happens in Ontario but its very similar.   His vehicle is being paid for by ICBC is that not the case?  To recover the insured depreciated value of his Neon it is between him and ICBC is that not the case?  If he is not satisfied with his payout then he sues ICBC is that not the case?  The only way this lady can be liable for damages is if the damages exceed her policy which is 200K minimum, is that not the case?

Yes, I agree that if he sues ICBC for damages they will represent themselves and not him.  Frankly, if it is a beef over the value of his car only and other expense related issues I believe the rules prevent him from naming the lady in the action.  This is because ICBC has "in law" taken responsibility for covering owned vehicles.  Losses from catastrophic personal injury is another thing all together.

OK, here is the guts of the matter; the court or ICBC doesn't give a damn how much he owes on this Neon.  That was his personal choice. No one forced him to borrow on the car.  If he got himself into a negative equity position the courts and insurers could care less.  Read your policy.  Find the section that states financing costs PRIOR to the loss will be reimbursed.  The rules of the game are all written somewhere by provincial law.  It's not something left to interpretation every time there is an occurrence.

Bottom line for Flash and millions like him is that going into negative equity on vehicles is problematic.  That is why folks when they buy new and finance should buy the waiver of depreciation.  Generally, after 2 years their negative equity position is not too bad, but there again what one buys is a big determining factor.   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 08:42:42 pm by articsteve »

Offline asdf

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 02:53:59 pm »
You can't sue her.  You would need to sue ICBC because in effect they represent her and you.

You talk about "$4000"?  I assume that is the difference you paid originally and what ICBC is offering you.  Is that difference with financing costs?  Redardless, you drove it for more than a year and that 4k will be deemed depreciation.

You have zero legal claim.  Get quotes from dealers on the most overpriced Neons of same year and similar model and present that to ICBC and move on.

If you wanted to hedge your short fall on the car you should have claimed a sore neck and headaches. ;)

I agree that you can't sue the other driver.  I don't think one can sue the insurance company.  As long as the insurance company makes the pay-out at FMV then their obligation is fulfilled.  You just have to keep on top of them to make sure that their version of FMV is indeed fair. 

Let this be a warning to those who are upside down on their loans;  don't total your car :)

avtoller

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 06:04:52 pm »
"Let this be a warning to those who are upside down on their loans;  don't total your car"

That was my point. Neither the other driver nor the insurer have ANY responsibility, legal or ethical, to cover the "upside down" component of the owners financial obligations.

triniexr

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006, 11:59:53 am »
buy my car, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT/STi!!!!!!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 12:09:03 pm »
buy my car, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT/STi!!!!!!
Man…..I can’t believe nobody has gone for that deal. I wish it was September; I would be all over this car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 12:28:44 pm »
Nobody bought it yet.... oh so tempting!