Author Topic: Hyundai Tucson??? HELP  (Read 13793 times)

mdxtasy

Re: Hyundai Tucson??? HELP
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 11:29:47 am »
Unless you need ground clearance (not many do), a wagon as suggested by Quad would be fine.  2WD SUV's aren't really that necessary when a wagon of similar size can be had for the same price.  It will be easier to manouver and be a little more responsive than the sportute.  There are lots of wagons/hatchbacks to choose from including:

Mazda 6
Mazda 3
Subaru Impreza
Subaru Legacy
Toyota Matrix
Volvo V50
VW Jetta
VW Golf
Audi A3
Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
Ford Focus

A 2wd anything is 'more than safe' if you have good tires and a level head.  Driving within the limits of the road conditions is key...because no amount of 4WD, AWD, stability control, ABS, traction control can do anything for the careless.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 11:41:00 am »
Much better list than mine MDX.

If you list price is under 25G I would select the Subaru Impreza.  Comes well equipped and also has one of the best AWD systems on the market.  Can't really be beat.  A couple of members have just bought one.

jedda

Here's another question for ya!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 09:26:23 pm »
I have read on a Canadian review website that the stick handling for the Tucson "sucks."
The report said that the clutch was loose and I think the term flimsy was used.
I have only ever driven standard....

Any feedback on that?

P.S. I have looked at the Mazda 3 and 6...nice cars but I think I need more room. I camp and have a dog.  The extra cargo space is needed. Plus I like the feel of the SUV...higher up.

Okay...I only wish I was dealing with one of you at the dealership. I would at least know that you are being honest with me.  By the way...any of you in Ottawa? And any of you salesman for Hyundai???

Again...thanks.
I'm addicted to the site now.
I value the responses I get.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005, 11:25:13 pm »
I can understand you want to sit higher. 

As far a space goes I really think the Tucson (couldn't find any numbers for trunk size) is in the middle when it comes to space.  It might be slighly bigger than an Impreza/Mazda3 but smaller than a Forester/Jetta and the even larger Legacy/Outback/Mazda6.  The Forester sights higher than most cars, you might want to look at it, it was on our short list. 

The Mazda3 can be a bit small for trunk space but the Mazda6 is huge.  With the seats folded down you have 6 feet of space back there which is the same as a Legacy/Outback, the Forester is about 5 feet, same with Jetta but I think the Impreza is about 6 inches shorter than the Forester.

Another choice if you go with a car is by buying a roof box.  I have a 15cf roof box and its perfect for loading up camping gear.  At a cost of under 500 bucks is an easy purchase.  Most wagons come with roof racks.

How big is your dog?  Unless its a Great Dane I think most cars would offer plenty of space.  The Forester has more head room than the Impreza and Legacy's.

If only travelling with one other person (two people total) you can stuff quite a bit in a small car.  We use to have  Protege5 and with the seats down I was able to stuff inside the car two mtn bikes, all of our camping gear (including chairs), clothes, back packs and food for two weeks. 

Glad to here you like the forum.  Stick around its a great place to hang out and use up your free time. 8)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 10:19:21 am »
Two wheel drive systems with winter tires are manageable in most winter conditions. Where “REAL” awd systems shine are in unexpected conditions and driver error. I am not arrogant to think that my driving skills will compensate for the unexpected. AWD has got me out of bad situations even in summer months.

There is no substitute for a full time all wheel drive system.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 01:53:08 pm »
Jedda, the "drive away" cost for the Hyundai lease include:

Pro-rata rent:  payment for current month, from Contract date to first payment date

Tax on above

PPSA fee

GST on PPSA.

Dealer admin:  Most dealers have one that ranges from $100-$400.

These fees can be managed into your monthly payment so your "drive away" is $0.

I do work for a Hyundai store, but not in the EAST.

The 2wd Tucson is an excellent vehicle for winter, as laspalmas stated.  It has a terrific Traction control and stability control system.  Combined with winter tires it will do you very well.  I drove a V6 auto 2wd all winter last year with the all seasons, and found it acceptable except in deeper snow.  My elantra with snowtires and TC was much more mobile.  I'd personally spend the extra for AWD, I think in the long run it will pay for itself with enhanced resale value.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 05:35:51 pm »
We own a Tucson FWD 4 cyl. manual. The shifting is fine but the engine turns a ton of revs on the highway. 4000 RPM at 130 KPH. While good around town, it gets tiring on long runs.

Otherwise everything is fine.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2005, 05:48:31 pm »
Tucson pricing can't really be beat. It'd be hard to find a decent wagon with similar space and equipment for the same price as a Tucson, whether 2WD or 4WD. A Subaru Impreza is much smaller in feel and cargo space, although I would think it comes closest. A Mazda6 Sport Wagon is fantastic, as is a Subaru Legacy Wagon or Forester, but the MSRP on both of those are above $26,500 easily.

While 2WD and snows will provide good snow/Winter driving, I believe the 4WD system is worth the extra money as well if you: A) Drive a lot, B) Live where there's lots of snow, C) Need to drive up steel inclines. As Neil states, it would help resale should you decide you'd like something else in a year or two.

It is a good idea to take it onto the highway to see how high the engine revs as well - both for noise level, wear on the engine, and fuel economy.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2005, 05:50:11 pm »
4000 rpm at 130 kph? I could not live with that, way too high for me. Does it not have an overdrive gear? Yikes!!
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

avtoller

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2005, 06:37:01 pm »
Goodness, the Yaris automatic is only 2850 at 110 kph and I thought that ws pretty high!  :o :o

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 07:29:23 pm »
The automatic 4cyl Tucson is revving much lower at 130kph, around 3000 RPM if I remember well from my road test, but the manual is revving at 4000. Go figure...

I can say that the stability control works fine. We had our first snow yeasterday and I did my best to loose it (on empty streets..) and the system picked it up just fine.

I put Gislaved winter tires on and they are great. With the traction and stability control, I do not see the need for AWD. You'll take off faster from stop lights but that's it. AWD will probably cost 1L/100 in fuel economy also.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2005, 10:15:01 am »
Anybody know the pricing on the 06 Tucson? Hyundai website is not updated. I saw an ad for the 06 with a base price of $20,600. That's $600. more than the 05.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2005, 11:36:01 am »
Anybody know the pricing on the 06 Tucson? Hyundai website is not updated. I saw an ad for the 06 with a base price of $20,600. That's $600. more than the 05.

Correctomundo.  Increase is across the range.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2005, 11:47:32 am »
Yup NEIL has ta repair the TENTING damage at Edmonton.........see WORK-POLE_IS .ORGY.............. :D...the money has ta come from somewhere...when is the NEW Hyundai TUSCANY wif da FERRARI  V12 comin' Neil...we won't TELL!!!!! :-X
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2005, 07:17:26 am »
Hey Guy, I'm just curious why you didn't pick the V6, especially after a test drive of the four..

This vehicle is for my kids to use. It is mostly for use around town and on short trips. I used to have a V6 Santa Fe and it was a gas guzzler. We get 10.5 L/100 km with the Tucson while I used 13-14 with the Santa Fe. The 4 cyl Tucson is no rocket and this is just fine!

CR-V/Tucson/Rav4

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2005, 04:20:45 am »
Except the Canuck model doesn't have side air bags.  ::)