Author Topic: 2006 Acura TL drop in horsepower??  (Read 9401 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 Acura TL drop in horsepower??
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 01:19:19 am »
http://www.baileycar.com/horsepower.html

Phil Bailey's explanation of new SAE rules to calculate HP. His last sentence of the piece is the best one.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

avtoller

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2005, 10:17:53 am »
"The most direct way for drivers to determine the right amount of horsepower for their driving needs requires no calculations at all - just a test-drive."

What a radical concept!!! Now why didn't I think of that??  ::) ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2005, 10:56:25 am »
"cos ya drive a 105 Brake -My Heart Yaris...!!!?......That wouldn't rip the lining out ma DEPENDS on what a Horse Power is knickers........Give me a HOME wher the BUFFALO mega Ponies ROAM and nary is heard a DISCOURAGING word....the LILLIPUTIANS are attempting a take0VR...I warn ya...I JUST HEARD the SEGWAY is being banned in Toronto...TOO DANGEROUS...WDF!!! will the ENZO be NEXT.......BRing on the ATOM breakers,Bugatti Veyrons and Lotus 7's....I declare a WAR on WIMPS.....STAMPEDE tha MUSTANGS we've gotta Coral this impudence...!!!!! >:( :skid: :nono: :brkhrt:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 01:23:59 pm »
http://www.baileycar.com/horsepower.html

Phil Bailey's explanation of new SAE rules to calculate HP. His last sentence of the piece is the best one.

Tell me about it, that quote was right on. We drove the Audi A4 with 200hp and the TL with 258 and all of us thought the Audi felt stronger where it counted from 2000 to 5000rpm (99% of driving needs).  It was far more responsive even with AWD and had my dad asking where the 258 hp in the TL was lol

tirekicker42

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2005, 05:28:42 pm »
Thank you very much for your input.
Budget being as great as it is, may still make me have to wait. 
If in fact 2007 promises a different looking TL, then I might have to wait and see.

Is there a site that I could go to to get early info on the 2007 ????

Thank you all again, a very informative website!

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +23/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2005, 05:59:11 pm »
I drove a friends new TL and was not impressed with the handling. The TL is a nice car and I like the styling vs. the G35 but I would never pick a fwd car over a rwd.

Acura needs to develop RWD platforms to be a serious contender in the entry level luxury market.

You and me both. For some reason the TSX is fine even in FWD but the TL feels very uninspiring. I have always said that around 200HP is about the limit for enjoyable FWD. Any more than that, and the limitations of FWD start becoming apparent. The TL felt so front heavy, and even though it is sport tuned, it felt soft wallowy in comparison. The TSX feels more button downed, and with a manual transmission, is just way more fun to throw into corners.

In the price range of the TL, the G35 is a way way better car, the G35 is not really a BMW killer, but at least it feels balanced, and seems glad when you toss it into a corner.

I can see people liking the TL because of its looks, and its content for the price, but to me, this car has no place among the Euro competition and the entry level Inf/Lexus clan. If you just want a comfortable cruising car, the TL would probably satisfy.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 08:20:32 pm by RayT »

tsx

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 10:33:22 am »
I think Acura can lead the pack.... it's already one of the best looking car in its class.... just came second to BMW for sales!

Key to make it the benchmark with the next redesign:
- Round the SAE HP ratings to 280-300HP range
- RWD standard with an SH-AWD Option
- Offer the Type-S version that would make more than 330HP
- Match every option by BMW 3 Series and undercut it by $5-7K range
- Because this segment is more performance, it would need 0-60 times under 5.9sec

But what acura really needs is RWD and V8 for the RL, this way other companies will take the brand more seriously!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2005, 11:25:24 am »
I think Acura can lead the pack.... it's already one of the best looking car in its class.... just came second to BMW for sales!

Key to make it the benchmark with the next redesign:
- Round the SAE HP ratings to 280-300HP range
- RWD standard with an SH-AWD Option
- Offer the Type-S version that would make more than 330HP
- Match every option by BMW 3 Series and undercut it by $5-7K range
- Because this segment is more performance, it would need 0-60 times under 5.9sec

But what acura really needs is RWD and V8 for the RL, this way other companies will take the brand more seriously!

:think: What is the point you are trying to make? You are repeating what we just said.

avro206

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 11:38:50 pm »
My brother in-law has one. Very nice car. Not much grunt off the line though.

He let me take it to the track--was a little disappinted by the times.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 12:15:12 am »
I don't think 0-60 times when talking about a TL (or a Lexus, or Infinity either). Why do care what times the TL would get at the track? Besides, it would likely be faster than good 0-60 cars if the race were on a road course.  ??? ::)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2005, 12:12:16 am »
W(wheel, more like REAL) HP Vs. B(brochure) HP. Advertised BHP is just like brochures, very pretty. WHP is a much more direct indication of a car’s performance. Mechanical losses between cars, manufacturers are not the same. Some makes are around 25%, but some makes have more than 30% mechanical losses. And if we factor in the loopholes that they explore to dress up the numbers, the results are very fascinating. Can’t really compare a car’s performance Vs another car just base on printed BHP numbers. Wish that they would just strap the car onto a dyno and print out the real world numbers.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2005, 10:35:44 am »
Initial that's why the Car Rags do head to head testing of them in like groupings...d'oh....!!!!!funny how they still seem to match the Posted HP ratings in the end........!!!! :-X

barrie1

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2005, 11:02:39 pm »
All of the GM engines have been revised in their HP ratings with the new standard moving all of them upwards a wee bit. The 500HP Vette is actually 505HP now with the 500HP Viper being now called 510HP. Almost every Japanese Import  car has been downrated a little bit as they were useing a different formula to determine the HP ratings of all of their cars. They are now all going to use the SAE standard for measring the HP of all engines which will make it a level playing field.  :)