Author Topic: Suzuki AERIO, Good or Bad ?????  (Read 2558 times)

STEELMAN1515

Suzuki AERIO, Good or Bad ?????
« on: October 27, 2005, 09:36:14 am »
My co-worker is looking at buying a 2005 Suzuki Aerio RX Sports model.  He wanted me to get some reaction from out here.  Anyone have any experiences, good or bad ?????

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: Suzuki AERIO, Good or Bad ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 10:29:04 am »
Well first of all, any notion of "Sports" and Aerio together is simply false advertising... tons of bodyroll (soft suspension), small wheels and tall roof... not exactly the best combination for sporty driving. But still, it's a pretty good vehicle and it's worthy of consideration. I don't think there are have been any reliability problems after about 4 years on the market now.

avtoller

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 11:11:36 am »
Where is Ken (Scaerio) when you need him? He recently bought an Aerio and should be able to supply some accurate information. Last I heard, he was enjoying his.  ;)

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 02:40:01 pm »
Ken can give you real life experience, but as far as I know, there have been no major issues.

If your co-worker wants a read on the aerio, here is a link to a MY03 review:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/03aerio_awd.htm

knibby

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:13:43 pm »
check out suzuki-forums.com, there is a page there dedicated to Aerio owners.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 04:20:55 pm »
if u can survive with its looks...besides that theres nothing wrong...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 11:21:42 pm »
I assume you are talking about the 4 door hatch.  Forget the sedan.  it's ugly, and you'd be better off with a Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, or Toyota.

There is no Aerio RX, but there is the SX, which has 15" instread of 14" wheels, a nicer ground effects package, and a spoiler, plus 6 disc CD changer, A/C, power windows, locks, etc...  AWD is also available for the SX, but this saps the engine of any power.  Be aware than used models will probably have the much hated digital dash.

I have the SE, which is pretty basic (It has A/c, single CD player, 14" steel wheels, power windows, but manual locks.  The better ground effects kit, black grille, 15" alloys, and spolier do improve the looks, but I wanted basic transport - $17 995 plus taxes etc. - and $0 down, 0% interest for 60 months was my haggling point for a car a little smaller than a Matrix, but bigger than an Echo 2 door...)  After 5500km, many of these on the 417/40 betweem Montreal and Ottawa, few issues to report.  Bodyroll - yes, sensitive to crosswinds, and I've had the anchor for the front passenger floor mat come loose.  The 155hp engine is pretty quick from 0-60km/h - so it's a great zippy car for the city - and not bad on the highway, but it isn't a rocket.

I bought this car to replace a dead 1993 Volvo 850 GLT which itself was a heavier car with 168hp, so the Suzuki feels about as powerful as the old V...  This past weekend I drove my Dad's 1995 850 while visiting my parents in Newfoundland, and compared to the Suzuki, the 10 year old Volvo's cabin felt dark, cramped, and cave-like.  You sit high in the Aerio like in an Echo, so visibility is great, and rear passesngers benenfit from "theatre-style" seating.  So while I miss the Volvo's weight and handling, I love the Suzuki's airiness...

Cargo room is pretty good too, and the seats fold flat.  When I've come across people who own older versions of the Aerio, they usually rave about how much they like the car. 
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...