Author Topic: Winter tires for my 2005 Hyundai Tiburon  (Read 2688 times)

mcmahonm

Winter tires for my 2005 Hyundai Tiburon
« on: October 26, 2005, 08:18:09 pm »
Well I need to buy winter tires for the first time in a while with the purchase of my new 2005 Hyundai Tiburon SE.

It comes with 205/55/R16's so I went to a few shops in Waterloo, Ontario where I work.  And saw a huge variety of tires and prices.

So here is one of the tires I saw, and spoke to the tire guy.  I have never heard of the tire but I am sure someone here has.

Polar Trax

I drive 60KM of road each day to work, road is a major regional road but snow seems to drift alot and can be deep.

Any suggestions before I go and spend my cash, are welcome

Thanks (the new guy here)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Winter tires for my 2005 Hyundai Tiburon
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 09:08:23 pm »
The easy answer is:
4 16 * 7 steel wheels preferably from the dealer or Tiretrends with the right offset for the car with 4 205-55 16 Blizzak Lm22 ( or whatever this years number is)  Or Hankook Ice Bears or Nokians or whatever. This forum will have many suggestions and many of us do do the changeover each fall and spring....

That assumes you have room to store them over the summer.... dark basements are good.

This will give you 3 good safe winters ( at 60 km each way) or 4 winters at 60 km return and it will preserve the summers for an extra year or two
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

mcmahonm

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:52:33 pm »
Thanks I think I will definitly be getting some snows, had them on the last car but the dealer through them in when I bought it.  So current delemia is seems my car is not listed on many tire sites.  Yes I can look it up buy size so I think I will need to call tiretrends and get a quote. 

Man the world has come a long way, buying tires over the internet  :) So it seems that there are a few options for tires.

GARIT HT
W300 Ice Bear
Winter Carving
Winter Slalom (this is what tthe old car had)

anything else I should look at. come on guys I know you all have opinions.. and I am not a race car driver so I do not need high perf tires for the snow

morty

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 02:31:19 am »
No experience with the Polar Trax. This list you have is good, but I would steer you more towards the H-Rated or better winters. You will find they offer better handling and less of a dramatic change when compared to your stock tires. So, this means I would recommend the Garit HT and Hankook W300 from your list.

Buying tires over the internet does seem a little crazy, but a lot of people seem to like it. Of course it is not for everybody as we cant offer the same kind of service as your local dealer. We just offer good products, honest opinions and competitive prices in a non-hostile environment 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Damn I'm tire..d.