Author Topic: Need help on winter tires for mazda 3 GT  (Read 11426 times)

Offline Hyundaiguy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Need help on winter tires for mazda 3 GT
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:47:21 pm »
I have 2005 Mazda 3 GT, which has 205/55R16 all-season tires. Currently, I'm looking for winter tires and rims. Cost is an important factor so I'm wondering if I can place 15" tire in my car. If so, what is my option as far as tire spec goes? Thanks for your help.

oversteer

Re: Need help on winter tires for mazda 3 GT
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 04:04:03 pm »
You would use 195/65/15 in place of 205/55/16.  The question is whether the 15" wheel will clear the brakes. If the base model of the car comes with 15" wheels and you don't have any brake upgrades as part of the GT package, you should be fine.  Otherwise, you probably have to get 16" rims + tires for winter.

Tiretrends has a selection feature that will give you your options.  For that car I think you would want to get something like a Toyo Garit HT, Pirelli 210, Hankook 300, etc, basically an H-rated tire that will match the handling characteristics.

blackdiamond

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 04:36:31 pm »
Hi Mazda3guy,

I am sorry, but I will have to contradict Oversteer: you can not put 15" on a Mazda3 GT as the wheel won't clear the oversized brake calipers. The lower you can go is 16". I don't remember the exact 16" size, but it is the stock size for the non GT Mazda3. That's what I ran last winter without any issue.

Regarding tires, I have the Kumho KW17 on my Mazda3 GT and I was very happy with them. Other folks have said really good things about the Toyo Garit HT or the Hankook 300. Here, I am with Oversteer: pretty much any H-rated tire will probably do.

Offline Hyundaiguy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 10:15:02 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll have to spend some money on this if I am to have winter tires. BTW, did any GT owners have any problem driving with stock tires over the winter? I mean, should I buy winter tires for my car? I live in GTA.

morty

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 12:19:39 am »
You can definitely not put 15" on the Mazda3 GT. Wont clear the brakes. However, the none GT model has smaller brakes and will take the 15" no problem. 205/55/16 is the way to go.

http://www.tiretrends.com/wheel2/iuc_pview/winterFinder.php?model=3134&year=2005

blackdiamond

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 02:39:55 pm »
Hi Mazda3guy,

if you are wondering whether you should try to run with the RS-A all winter, please have a look at www.mazda3forums.com in the Tire&Wheel section, before making your decision.

chaser

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 06:19:43 pm »
Or you may check www.torontomazda3.com/forum. It's a GTA local forum. There are threads talking about stock tires winter performance.
I've Kumho KW17 (205/55/16) for winter and had no problem with them last winter.