Author Topic: Load Index and Speed Rating  (Read 2644 times)

benwar

Load Index and Speed Rating
« on: October 19, 2005, 09:54:57 pm »
I have a Grand Vitara 2004, the original tires are P235/60R16 99H, I understand that the load index is 99 code (775kgs) and the speed raiting is H (210 Km/h).
The speed limit is always below 120 Km/h. Does it make sense to buy tires with speed raiting S, T, U or H when the standard tires that you can find are Q and supports little bit more than 120 Km/h with the load index 100 (800 Kg) ? And also lower price. ???
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:15:20 pm by benwar »

JD

Re: Load Index and Speed Raiting
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 10:04:32 pm »
No.

Speed Rating is misleading - It does not only cover top speed, but handling, braking and suspension characterstics of the tyre... Your vehicles brakes and suspension were designed for a H rated tyre, and the engineers spent hundereds of hours designing around that.  Don't mess it up to save $50.

You'll likely increase braking distance (dangerous) and hurt handling and performance... Don't be a cheapskate, get the H's.

avtoller

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 10:31:58 pm »
JD is ABSOLUTELY correct here. Don't mess with trying to save a few dollars. Tires are the cheapest bit of safety equipment you will ever have on a car, and by far the most important. Don't skimp. I just bought a new car this week, and I replaced the tires before I even got it home. It cost $300 exchange, but well worth it as the OEM tires have a very poor reputation for wet weather driving - something we get a lot where I live.

canadianexpress

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 03:02:09 pm »
I had a different experience, but maybe it is because of the quality of the tire.  I have an 97 Acura 1.6EL and the original factory was the Michelin XGT 195-55-15  V rated.  This tire was flat out garbage and to add insult to injury, it was almost $200 a tire.  I have since gone to 205-50-15 dunlop SP sport A2 H rated, and what a difference it makes on every surface, wet, dry, & snow.  Just to add sugar on top, it only cost me $115 a tire.

benwar

Re: Load Index and Speed Rating
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 03:19:16 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, your advice was really useful. I will go directly for the H rated tires. ;D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 03:38:34 pm »
Go to H(ell).   >:D

morty

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 01:20:30 am »
Some very good advice...I guess people do listen. As for the Michelin OE on the Acura EL; yes, they were not a very good tire, but still important to maintain the speed rating as braking system and suspension is designed to use that type of tire.

As JD has stated
Speed Rating is misleading - It does not only cover top speed, but handling, braking and suspension characterstics of the tyre... Your vehicles brakes and suspension were designed for a H rated tyre, and the engineers spent hundereds of hours designing around that.  Don't mess it up to save $50.

You'll likely increase braking distance (dangerous) and hurt handling and performance..