Author Topic: Replacement Tires for Kia Sephia  (Read 1936 times)

jumbojones

Replacement Tires for Kia Sephia
« on: October 10, 2005, 05:37:11 pm »
So I bought my 2000 Kia Sephia last November, and I can't really complain about the car, but I can complain about the dealer that sold it to me. I wont get into that though, I'll stick to the current problem at hand.

Yesterday I went to Costco to get new tires because of their current tire sale and told them the size of my current tires on my car. They said that didn't matter and they needed my keys to look at something in my car. The guy came back and said I needed 185/65/14 85H tires and not the 185/65/14 85T BFGoodrich Premier Touring tires I asked for. He explained why I needed the H rated tire, and to be honest I thought he was full of crap, because I have been driving on 185/65/14 85S tires since I bought the car and have had no problems.

So I went home and done some research on the subject and I am getting mixed reviews. I have gone to some tire sites and typed in my car and they have recommended S and T rated tires for me, but then again others don't. So someone please set me straight, do I really need and H rated tire, even though I haven't been driving on them since I've bought the car? Thanks.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Replacement Tires for Kia Sephia
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 08:57:53 pm »
Check the tire recommendations in your manual.  Then, don't go below the OE speed rating.  If the car did indeed come with h-rated tires, you will want those.  Our Subaru drove "okay" with the T-rated tires the PO had installed, but was transformed by the h-rated tires I had put on.

morty

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:17:36 pm »
Tires are a huge part of the suspension and brakes. Downgrade the tires and you downgrade the suspension and braking capability of the car. Costco does this for laibility reasons. Doesn't meet OE specs, so they would rather loose your business then sell you the incorrect tires. Cant fault them for being ethical.

jumbojones

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 10:59:47 am »
I don't fault them at all, I'm just getting mixed responces from tire resellers and don't know who to believe. I got the following today.

Thank you for your interest.
For your car I personally would recommend not going with H rated tires as your car is not a heavy car or an extremely high speed car.
Furthermore a regular tire is longer lasting, and better in snow and rain conditions.
Here are some tire quotes:

Grenadier-$75.00
Toyo Spectrum-$93.62
BFGoodrich Control Plus-$98.00
Michelin Hydro Edge $122.40
Uniroyal Freedom $80.00

**All of these tires are capable of going speeds of up to 180-190 kms
**These prices include everthing except tax.
If you have any further questions, let me know.

morty

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 11:58:51 pm »
If someone says "you dont drive that fast, so no need for _ speed rating" it is misleading. Speed rating isnt about how fast you drive, it is about the construction of the tire that allows it to go that fast. This type of construction also means how the tire behaves at any speed. Stiffer sidewall means better handling and braking. When engineers designed the suspension and braking system they took this type of tire into account. The tire is a huge part of the suspension and braking. Change the tire and you change the handling and braking.

It is obviuosly easier to sell you tires if they say it doesnt matter and quote you something that is cheaper. I guess certain vendors would rather make the easy sale.

jumbojones

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 09:30:10 am »
Thanks again guys, with that being said I have done a little research and found a few tires that are suitible/affordable for my car any recomendations?

BFGoodrich Traction T/A H&V (I'm leaning towards these)
Hankook Radial H406 (OE)
Kumho ECSTA HP4 716

Keep in mind they need to perform well in the snow, thanks.

morty

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 03:36:19 am »
Traction T/A is a wonderful tire. As for snow...no All-Season will do well in the snow. If you are concerned about snow look at getting snow tires. All-seasons are great if you can park the vehicle during snow conditions.