Author Topic: [QUESTION] Would this project be street legal?  (Read 570 times)

Offline xTeeManx

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, 2003 Ford Windstar, 2002 Dodge Dakota, 2002 Chevy Cavalier
[QUESTION] Would this project be street legal?
« on: December 12, 2018, 01:24:45 pm »
Okay so, today in the car my son and I were talking about neat ideas to do, and we came up with one that would be AMAZING, but we have no idea if it would be legal, I'll go into detail, here's the idea;

We want to make a road legal derby car;

1: Strip the interior; door panels, carpets & fabrics, and remove all the seats & seatbelts except for the drivers side.
2. Weld fake exhaust headers onto the hood (Since I dont think its legal to actually have the headers come out of the hood).
3. Remove all of the door windows, leaving only the windshield and rear window.
4. Put a rollcage in.
5. Put a fake gas tank in the back seat area, to replicate a demolition derby tank.
6. Finally; Paint the car like a derby car, with white doors & numbers, sponsors, etc etc.

We'd be leaving the airbags, headlights/tailights, and all of those things in place of course.

Now, the question is, I'm not good with driving laws in Ontario, maybe someone here is, so, if you know about the driving laws, would this idea be legal?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: [QUESTION] Would this project be street legal?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:14 pm »
Not sure about Ontario but that sounds road legal in Alberta if a bit drafty with no windows. I would not put a real metal cage into a street car. More likely to bang your head on it in an accident. You could go fake with pcv plumbing supplies though.