Author Topic: So Who Won - Ford or Bridgestone(Firestone) ??  (Read 2668 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
So Who Won - Ford or Bridgestone(Firestone) ??
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:08:52 am »
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0510/13/C03-347176.htm

It would appear that Ford is the winner here - although there really is no winner at all. These things are always worded so there is no clear cut decision and monies are paid to "get it over with". It was a big deal 5 years ago.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Re: So Who Won - Ford or Bridgestone(Firestone) ??
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:18:07 am »
What does this have to do with winter tires? ;)

This episode was linked to hundreds of injuries and fatalities, and tarnished both Ford and Firestone for a long time.  No winners here.

sterling

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 01:39:47 am »
No winners? What about everyone that got free new tires in Canada (where there was never one incident)?

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 06:55:24 am »
They had to own Explorers to qualify.  Still no winners.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 10:37:43 am »
^ hahahaha

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 10:41:14 am »
What does this have to do with winter tires? ;

Nothing - this area is for all discussions relating to tires and wheels, not just winter tires.  ;)

morty

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 12:37:45 am »
I was disappointed in how both parties handled this situation. I think they were both to blame. Poor vehicle design and a tire that lasted too long. Instead of pointing fingers they should have taught people the importance of maintaing tires and proper air pressure. I think that if people had maintained their tires properly this would not have been a problem. If you run a tire long enough at low enough air pressure, it will explode. On this particular vehicle a tire failure was enough to cause a roll-over.

A lot of people got a good deal. New tires for free! Feel terrible for those that lost their lives. Maintain your air pressure...tires last longer and you keep your family safe.

barrie1

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 12:49:08 am »
My understanding is that Firestone which is Fords 1st cousin thru marriage around 1900 approx was found at fault. The tire was fine but Fords instructions on tire inflation were wrong and this was the cause of the problems with the tire failures. The problem only happened in the Southern US states where the road temperatures are much hoter. Combined with the excessive heat and low inflation the tires were blowing and causing the accidents. Ford had apparently put 25lbs pressure on the door stickers and some folks were doing just that and paying a heavy price for the mistake. GM used many of these tires on their trucks and many models of the cars and never had this problem at all as they were inflated correctly.  :)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 09:41:08 pm »
Yes, Barrie, the Ford and Firestone families were related in marriage, but back in history as you say. Both families were part of the wealthy, country club set in Detroit in the early part of the past century. I suspect that the remaining Firestones own nothing of the tire co as it was sold to Bridgestone some time ago.

And I agree that most of the problems were in the Southern US, and, in most cases, poor tire maintenance was involved. Run 'em 'til they go flat, I say.

A ton of bad press for both companies and the usual buck passing. Millions of dollars changes hands but no real benefit to anyone. Good point, Morty, some kind of public education on tire maintenance paid for by the two companies would have been a good "fine".

I remember being in Spokane, WA about the time in 2000 that the Firestone/Ford Explorer was hot in the press. I had Bridgestones on my 4Runner at the time and some goober in a motel parking lot was trying to tell me my tires were no good and I should get new ones right away. Not the same tire at all.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 01:04:08 pm »
..I deny being in a Spokane Motel...at that time...and NO..she wasn't mY COUSIN...!!!!! I'm takin' the FIFTH ....of Yak Daniels.....Goober...never heard of HIM....... 8)...............I'm a FireStone THRU!!! and THROUGH...!!!!!! :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once