Author Topic: Travel trailer tires  (Read 2733 times)

ford250

Travel trailer tires
« on: September 28, 2005, 09:05:06 pm »
I am looking to purchase new tires for my 5th wheel travel trailer. Presently I have Carslie tires - ST205-75R15 load rated "C".  I am not pleased with these tires.  I have had two blow-outs with them in the last two outings and have little mileage on them. I check pressure before every trip. I was wondering if someone could recommend a better brand of trailer tires.  I have been considering LT load rated "D" tires but I am not sure if I can get them in the same size I require.  I am living in the Montreal area.  Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

morty

Re: Travel trailer tires
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 12:11:46 am »
Sounds like you could be under tired. You could bump up the size and ply rating. If you can fit a 225/75DR15 then it should help. It could also be symptoms of another problem. People often forget to repack their axle bearings. This should be done every season. If not it can cause heat and the axle may seize. Many a trailer has had tires blow out on holidays for this very reason. Have your bearings checked.

ford250

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:43:13 am »
Morty thanks for your reply. I have the wheel bearnings repacked each season.
Will the wheel be ok with a larger tire.Thank you

morty

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 11:44:57 am »
Wheel should be OK. Just check it's load carrying capacity matches or exceeds what the weight of the trailer is. I am almost certain that they would use the same wheel for heavier load rated tires. Double check to be safe.