Author Topic: 2006 Hyundai Azera  (Read 7345 times)

JD

Re: 2006 Hyundai Azera
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 11:13:37 am »
Probably for the better warranty and better build quality, Shnack  ::)  Plus, I am sure they don't have a hard-on for only german made electrican greml... I mean VWs  :D

Sterling - Sorry, didn't read the post correctly...  But you have to realize that the US-spec base Avalon is a stripper model, so you can't really compare a base Avalaon in the US to one in Canada...  That said, I already said I was sure that the base Azera would come in more expensive then a direct US-to-CDN conversion - Likely to do more kit and a little larger profit margin.

With that said, Hyundai has intelligent marketers, they realize that they are targeting perhaps the hardest group to crack... People over 45-50 years old.  These people are going to need a lot of darn good reasons to go by   'a korean car', so I am sure Hyundai is not oblivious to the uphill battle they have in the public opinion arena.

I mean, even this forum suprises me, with many sell-professed 'car fanatics' bashing Hyundai while glorifying cars that, when compared subjectively, have worse quality, features and a higher price.

Case in point - Shnak's suggestion that someone shopping for an Azera should buy a loaded V6 Accord :o  The loaded Sonata features more kit (power pedals for example) then a loaded V6 Accord, with a better ride, nicer interiour and a much more refined and quieter highway ride...  Having a '03 Accord in the family and having tried the new Sonata, I had a problem talking myself out of trading the Accord in on a Sonata.

As for resale, you only get stung with older models, newer Hyundais have a projected resale value well abouve domestics, and just slightly below Honda/Toyota.  If you're trading a car off every 4 years, then you're leasing and this really doesn't matter, and if you're keeping it longer then that, the depreciation between an '06 Accord 4cyl and an '06 Sonata V6 will be roughly the same, as the Sonata is a trim level above the Accord for the same purchase price.

So, with that said, I do agree that Hyundai is in a very, very hard market with this car, perception-wise - But I'd like to think that some of the car-guys on this forum could be a little more subjecting about these cars. :D

« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 11:15:33 am by JD »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 11:28:25 am »
1st, where have I said a single word about german vehicles?

2nd, do you honestly believe that a Sonata or Azera is better built than an Accord?

3rd, people buying Accords, Camrys and Altimas don't care about the warranty because they know they won't need it. So for that reason alone, I don't think the fact that the Azera has a longer warranty than those 3 will be a big deciding factor. Price might, but not warranty.

4th, I think someone is exagerating about the Sonata being better than the Accord. Fact is, a lot of the reviews, if not most of them, say that the Accord is still the car to beat.

5th, you said: As for resale, you only get stung with older models, newer Hyundais have a projected resale value well abouve domestics, and just slightly below Honda/Toyota. Who projected that? Hyundai sales people so that they could offer decent lease rates? I'll wait until I see 2-3 year ols Sonatas selling for 70-75% of their selling price on autotrader like I see Accords and Camrys before saying the new Hyundais will retain their value.

Btw, from the pictures, the interior of the Azera doesn't impress me at all... especially the radio/climate controls units... they really look like they were designed for the Accent or something. And the dash looks to be made of cheap hard plastics. For Accents and Elantras, that kind of interior is acceptable... but it's not when it comes to sedans pushing $30-35-40k like the Sonata and Azera.

IMO, Hyundai still has a good way to go before claiming Lexus-like cars for base Toyota prices... a LONG way to go...

mr_meow

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 11:36:33 am »
isn't it a replacement for  Hyundai XG350?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 11:38:26 am »
No :censor: Sherlock.

a4_tom

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 11:42:51 am »
Yes, its an XG replacement.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 11:56:57 am »
Well, I was thinking the same tho... Hyundai's already in this market with the XG 350 people. And while sales never sizzled, it's not as though they're embarrassing either. The XG was on the market in S Korea years before it came here, so it's no wonder it was behind. As for the Amanti, I actually like the thing! It's a Korean Buick, with much more room (have you tried that rear seat?!) and features than the Buicks of comparable price today.

Anywho, pricing has already been released.

The old loaded XG was $32,995.

The Azera (as detailed in the Wheels section of last Saturday's Toronto Star):
$34,495 for the base car, $37,495 for the higher equipped version. Jim Kenzie remarked that he's surprised that there's no NAVI option, and I would think they would have been wise to include one too, not that the typically older buyers of this car would have a use for it, but still.

http://driving.canada.com/research/viewroadtest.spy?artid=51044 a road test.

When you get up to the top of the line, I'd definitely go with an Avalon at $39,9-43. But at lower levels, the Azera is quite compelling. And probably with some discount possible and lower interest rates.

Oh, and while I don't love the rear shoulder of the Azera in photos, I definitely LOVED the first generation Tiburon (we had 2 SE's in the family) and the Santa Fe is handsome to me as well. Can't wait for the new one!
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 12:59:46 pm »
The boyz that went to the preview say that photgraphs don't do this car justice.

Week or two to go.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2005, 01:45:00 pm »
I've seen the car at the Georgain College show, but unfortunately only a front 1/4 view. Looked pretty good, black on beige interior. The hips looked okay from that angle, but will have to see from a rear 3/4 view - somehow it works on the Allure but it's not as 'hippy' as the Azera. The face looks rather plain and rectangular tho. Not bad, just blah. Lacking something. Still looking forward to it.

wrekk

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2005, 01:57:52 pm »
yeah from the photos the car looks rather bland.

a4_tom

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2005, 07:20:49 pm »
I have seen and sat in one of the press cars in Vancouver, before they head up to Vancouver Island for press launch. Its the gold one with beige leather. The styling looks classy. The proportion is better than Avalon in person. If the Sonata reminds one of an Accord, Azera reminds me of nothing else. The interior quality is impressive, even better than the Sonata although the leather still not as supple as Avalon.

It was unfortunate I didn't have a chance to ask Hyundai Canada staff for a spin. :'(

smainville

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2005, 05:52:02 am »
The front and rear of the Sonata + Olds Aurora bulges, I'll take an Avalon, Maxima or Lucerne over this any day.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2005, 01:36:51 pm »
That's the same link that the original poster used... ???

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2005, 01:47:19 pm »
Shiznaught. Sorry Jimmy, BB et all.

I hadn't read it till now.  :hide: