Author Topic: Wheels/tires stroage  (Read 2628 times)

mis3

Wheels/tires stroage
« on: September 17, 2005, 10:39:23 am »
For the coming winter, I will install my winter tires on stock wheels.

For my summer wheels/tires, I plan to wash them thoroughly and store them in plastic bags.

My question is should I apply something (like wheel wax or regular car wax) to the wheels before storage?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Wheels/tires stroage
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 11:55:44 am »
No need to do that - just store them flat with cardboard in between (or even without the cardboard!!). Should be dry storage but away from heat.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

mis3

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 12:26:09 pm »
I am thinking that the wax will protect the wheel surface better during the few months they are in storage in close bags.

Comments?

sterling

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 01:40:18 pm »
Protect them from what? The air inside the plastic bag?

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 05:57:35 pm »
Protect them from what? The air inside the plastic bag?

Perhaps he doesn't have access to a dry environment big enough to store his tires and does not want to store his wheels with some tire garage.  Assuming he's not a tire guru - after all he is the one asking the question - then he might logically conclude their might be a problem.  Don't forget, if he's using those bags supplied by the garages, they don't seal fully.  They are open at one end to whatever is in the storage environment.

My garage, for instance does get damp and I don't have room inside my house for my summer tires and wheels.  So I store them flat but raised off the ground using pressure treated lumber left over from some landscaping projects.  Each tire/wheel is in its own plastic bag.  So far so good but...
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

robarakira

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 10:55:44 pm »
Just clean the wheels before you store them and keep them in a dry place and all is well!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 11:46:25 pm »
Yeah, what everyone else said, but if your wheels have a clear coat, it's still a good idea to apply a protective coat of wax every now and then.

It's got nothing to do with putting them in storage, per se, but that would seem to me to be a very convenient time to get the job done.

mis3

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 01:17:22 am »
Everytime I wax my car, which is about once a month, I usually wax my wheels as well.   I have a Mercedes and they are famous for brake dust.   I noticed that if the wax, the brake dust came ooff easier at the next wash. 

My wheels are about $5,000 and I am trying to find the best way to store them.  There is no heat in my garage and frankly, I do not know if it is considered dry or moist. 

morty

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 02:34:50 am »
A coat of wax on the wheels definitely wont hurt them. I think the most important thing is to clean them before storage.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 07:37:06 am »
I also wax my wheels when I wax the car. Dust comes right off.
With the wheels off you can do a nice job on them

mis3

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 05:35:07 pm »
With the wheels off, I should probably wax the inside (wheel wall) as well.  Right? 

avtoller

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 06:00:07 pm »
Can't hurt, and be sure to wax the inside of your winter wheels. It will help them shed snow buildup.  ;)

mis3

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 11:02:53 pm »
Good idea.   
I will do both sets of wheels, in and out......