Author Topic: P71 Police Interceptor  (Read 4709 times)

Johnny5

P71 Police Interceptor
« on: February 22, 2005, 10:55:26 am »
I'm in a tailspin about my next car purchase when my lease expires this fall.  I am looking to buy used but have bounced all over the place, car wise.  I have decided on a good highway-driving car.  This is where I come for advice.

Checking out some used Crown Vic's it came to my attention that a used but not abused OPP, P71 Police Interceptor, might be a good deal.  Price is reasonable for a 2001 with ~ 150,000 Kms.  These vehicles have also been fleet maintained and the maintenance records come with them.  Also, on the highway, you get the left lane to yourself!

I know I will have to spend some money to bring the interior up to snuff.  Wrecked  C.V.’s are plentiful though.

Any thoughts or comments on Police Interceptors?

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 01:40:56 pm »
Johnny5, remember that police cars sit and idle for long periods compared to avg car, excessive idling can cause long term damage.  
From little I know, these are fairly reliable cars, the P71 is a HD and performance package, very little options.
Do a google search.
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Exserviceguy

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 02:06:19 pm »
Hi Ho Johnny5
From my days in the trenches at Ford dealerships that serviced police cars, here goes:  There is no such thing as a well maintained OPP cruiser, the only time they saw a repair centre is when something broke.  Dash is right about the idling, in my new job we study idling trends for police cars and they spend 65% of their time idling keeping the donut munchers warm in the winter or cool in the summer.  Ever take a ride along with a cop?  I did once, and the gas pedal only has 2 positions: at idle or to the mat.
If the price is right go for it but include in your first year budget the cost of a trans overhaul and major engine work.
The police inteceptor version of the Crown Vic had a different (substantially stiffer) frame which sometimes made them a little stiff on long drives, and a little rattly as well.
Expect gas mileage in the below 20 mpg range.

Johnny5

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 02:31:22 pm »
I think during wide-open blasts, any carbon build up from idling, would be gone.  

I did not say well maintained, I said fleet maintained: as in fluid changes, tire rotations, warranty work, major repairs etc.  One of the reasons I like these cars is they have rear wheel drive all the performance options standard.

I did a google search and most posts are positive.

Johnny5

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 04:04:09 pm »
Carbon and moisture build up.

Sterling

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 09:44:59 pm »
These things are not performance cars by any stretch of the imagination. Compared to any modern "sporty" car they are slow, don't stop well, don't handle at all, and are miserably uncomfortable inside.

Unless you've got a fetish for whip antennas and strobe lights, forget it.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 09:53:48 pm »
"Used but not abused"....If it's done it's time on the highway you should be OK. But if it's time was done in a general duties detachment there's a good chance that it has jumped quite a few curbs in it's lifetime....And not at a crawl!!!

And forget about the myth that you'll have the left lane to yourself. You'll find more often than not people will slow down to the speed limit in front of you and not bother to move over. Very irritating.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Gibsonguy

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 10:30:43 pm »
I used to want an old police cruiser too. Then I turned 16.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 12:21:47 am »
Hey, a used police cruiser was just fine for the Blues Brothers!
Ron
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Barrie1

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 12:44:37 am »
In London every 2nd Taxi is a used Cruiser. They are ideal for this type of work. This is a hi-milage used car. Pay accordingly for it.

Roadrunner

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:50:15 am »
Do they climb curbs looking for fares?

Gibsonguy

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 01:16:51 am »
At least get one with a few authentic bullet holes. Or maybe a good hearse? They have heavy duty suspensions and upgraded motors, with heavy-duty transmissions, loads of cargo room and they have no  mileage whatsoever.

Johnny5

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 09:19:31 am »
I'm just looking for a rear wheel drive, highway car with good reliability at a decent price point ($7500). A 2001 used, non P71 Crown Vic, is almost twice the price.  A lot of these cars have no maintenance records.  At least with an OPP car, I know oil changes were done.

Any other suggestions for a good 2001 and up RWD hwy car, at that price point?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 10:45:39 am »
Don't let them stiff ya onna hearse..dem bone jarring rides are enuf ta awaken the grateful dead....There must be many cream puff Crown Vics around owned by recently dear departeds who only took them to the curling club or the Moose Lodge...sweep..sweep..me up ta da Moose Club....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Johnny5

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 01:02:35 pm »
Even cream puffs are $14,000.

A used Hearse would give Mama the creeps.

Roadrunner

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 09:27:26 pm »
Don't wholesalers buy up the used police cars at auctions?

Barrie1

P71 Police Interceptor
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 10:55:39 pm »
Not always as they are public auctions where they unload used Gov equipment. We all can have a shot at it. There can be some very good buys. Gotta know your stuff when bidding on this stuff.