Author Topic: Just arrived in Vancouver and want to sell a car.  (Read 2824 times)

Ashworth

Just arrived in Vancouver and want to sell a car.
« on: January 19, 2005, 11:58:20 am »
I am a UK citizen traveling through Canada. Last summer we bought a dodge caravan in Ontario so that we could travel across Canada. It was a fantastic road trip. We are now in Vancouver and looking to sell the vehicle. The question we have is do you need to re-register the vehicle under BC? – If so who registers and how much? Does that also mean I would have to put the vehicle through a safety test as well?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 12:26:23 pm »
I suspect it will be hard to sell in BC if not registered there yet. In order for your buyer to register it in BC, they would have to have the ICBC-required inspection. If it doesn't pass that, it can't be registered in BC until it is fixed enough to pass. I live in BC and I would not buy a vehicle that was not already registered here UNLESS I felt comfortable with the history of the vehicle (or the price was so cheap). That's my take on it. Good luck.  

BTW, welcome to the Forum.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Ashworth

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:07:39 pm »
Cheers for the advice, I thought as much. Is a recent safety cert also req'd prior to the sell?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 01:31:21 pm »
Not sure about that as I don't live in the Lower Mainland area. Someone from Vancouver will probably be able to tell you if you wait. Sorry.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:36:13 pm »
You need to take the car to any one of the certified government inspection garages.  Check your telephone yellow pages, or ask at the closest ICBC office.  You can not get B.C. insurance without this certificate...at least I couldn't when I brought a vehicle up from Florida.
Ron
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Davidm

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 12:38:40 pm »
84 is correct.  It is a quicky visual inspection, they give you a cert, which allows you to register the car in BC.  Without this, selling will be very hard unless you trade it in to a dealer.