Author Topic: New Car  (Read 4030 times)

New_guy

New Car
« on: January 16, 2005, 04:59:36 pm »
Hi everyone, I am new here and I just have a few questions. I am looking into purchasing my first car. I want a cheap car that will go easy on my insurance rates, and I would also like to be able to put some upgrades and stuff into is. I hear that the Honda Civic is a really good car for all of this and I would just like your opinions on this.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
New Car
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 06:15:33 pm »
Well, Civic isn't the most powerful (low torque) and isn't cheap on insurance because they're popular for theft and young people/customizers. It is a decent car though.

To recommend something, some more info is needed. As in price range, body style preference, engine size, other considerations - options etc.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

New_guy

New Car
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 07:08:15 pm »
Well I am only 16 so the price range would have to be very cheap 2000-3000 max. And it has to be cheap on insurance. The engine doesn't have to be to big, and i will take what options I can get.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
New Car
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 08:06:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum, New.  Been lurking a while?

Whereabouts do you live?  Insurance can be killer in certain parts of the country.  Also, insurance companies frown upon any modifications to a vehicle, and you could find yourself in some deep caca if something happens to your modded car.

Nonetheless... your decisions are your own.  What are you thinking of getting?

Brigitte

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
New Car
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 09:20:57 pm »
Careful Bridge he's just learnin' ta work a stick!!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

New_guy

New Car
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 09:39:29 pm »
I have been lurking for a bit. I live in St. Catharines Ontario, I can't remember the name of the company I am with but I can get it if it will be helpful.  

By modifications all I would get is a muffler (a cool sounding one ;) and some neons. Possibly a body kit aswell.

Barrie1

New Car
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 11:04:52 pm »
Thats when they will start to raise the rates is on these body kits as then it will be something else. I think your better off leaving the body stock and getting a good sound system instead. I wouldn't alter the wheel size at all at your age as thats another area of concern. A trick breather or other underhood extra's you can keep to yourself somewhat as they won't see them.

Roadrunner

New Car
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 11:29:46 pm »
Yep. City_ says he wouldn't pull you over with some mods on but I'll bet others would. (given the time of the shift and whether or not he has his daily donut) heh heh
Oh yeh, welcome to the forum New_guy.

(Message edited by roadrunner on January 16, 2005)

Mdxtasy

New Car
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 12:34:23 am »
You are 16...no such thing as going easy on your insurance.  It'll be over 3G for basic PLPD coverage.  I'd save your money and not customize this car....first so that you can take that cash and fix the car when it breaks down and secondly, the customizations will weigh the car down as well as overload the old electricals that your lights will thump with the bass.  You might as well burn the money if you sink it into a car you paid 2G for.

Saint11

New Car
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 01:30:16 am »
240sx shud just fit your budget. tons of parts for this car. tons of potential. im 18. i kinda know what your going through. but, just think, in 4-5 yrs you might not want a souped up car. especially if it is a daily driver.  

but dun worry, 240sx will be fast enuf for ya.  

also 91-93 accord. i can vouch for this car. quite the fun thing to drive sometimes. it was my first car. great resale value too. and ther are also tons of parts for it. insurance won't be too bad either.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
New Car
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 09:57:58 am »
New guy - go to kanetix.com and enter in your information about your driving history and the parameters for your car.

Just make sure you are sitting down and make sure your parents are your best friends because you are so going to need their help to even get insurance.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
New Car
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 11:47:59 am »
St. Kitt's eh? I was there over the week-end visiting a good friend

Yeah, for that kind of coinage your insurance will cost more than the car!

If I were in your boat (and I was there not too long ago and know it's hard) I'd settle of an economical car a few years old with 60K or so on it, and try and stretch the budget somehow. Obviously, if you're in school with no or a PT job and no established credit it's hard to borrow money for much of anything that you'd really 'like'. But when starting out you know you can graduate to something better in short order without losing much on the interim car you buy.  

I'd just pick up an Accent GT/GSi or something like that. Relatively cheap to buy, own, insure, and economical. Not flashy, but I've seen some fancy exhausts and such on 'em and they really don't look half-bad at all. Rather respectable if you ask me.