Author Topic: Recommended used car dealers in Vancouver?  (Read 15546 times)

Mdxtasy

Recommended used car dealers in Vancouver?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 12:10:18 pm »
If you feel your driving skills are subpar....spend the couple hundred bucks on a driving training class.  Plus, a larger car will be tougher to get around and park etc...so if you aren't too experienced in driving.....a larger car will just amplify this deficiency.

Straysheepie

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 04:46:53 pm »
I think I've been a bit intimidated by the things I read in car buying guides that state studies have shown new drivers will be in an accident or two by the end of x number of hours.  I would prefer a smaller/nimbler car actually which is why I keep 'straying' back to Civics/Echos.  It also doesn't help when some people around me tell me I should buy a tank

I've also had the joys of Vancouver driving reinforced when I was test driving a Civic HB and a car across the street from me at a stop sign had his blinker on to turn left (I was going straight and arrived first) waved me to go ahead.  So I did, and then he started turning left at the same time!!  I had to slam on the brakes to keep him from ramming into the side and both the owner and my Mom said I did have the right of way... I think the owner and her husband were a bit thrown off as was I.  I'm working on the assumption I have average driving/parking skills and both will improve with road experience.

On the bright side, I saw an ad for an accident-free 2000 Civic HB at a dealer in Burnaby that I can inquire about today :-)

Saint11

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2005, 09:47:44 pm »
vcr drivers in the snow. thats the problem. 5 cm and   you got more cars in ditches than on the road. everyone is scared to drive in snow! good for me though. lol  

yeh accidents happen. i got into one my 5 month of driving and i have been good ever since. i drove a beater with no airbags or anything and i hit a beater. no one got hurt so its all good. most accidents no one really gets hurt.

Slippers

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 11:44:44 pm »
The Automobile Protection Association website (www.apa.ca)recommends the C. Martino Autocenter at 2055 Clarke dr. (604)255-3558.
I haven't used their services but I might as I'm planning on buying a used car soon.
The APA has been featured on  the W5 tv show.

Spitdriver

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 12:30:55 am »
Straysheepie, I'm new to posting around here, and hope you don't mind if I add two cents. This might be the wrong thread to attach this to, if so, I apologize to all.
In my opinion, you're going through the right steps in the process a sensible buyer will take.  
So far you've resisted buyer fatigue, so stick with it. You've gathered info, tested conclusions, and re-evaluated. Having followed this and the previous thread, one can see the progression.
At this stage, it seems your wants have changed from under $3K and small, to up to $20K small or mid-size, and "safe".
I live in Delta and commute to Surrey. Used to commute to New Westminster, so understand your comments about Vancouver drivers.
It makes sense to be honest with yourself about what you really want and are willing to pay for.  
At that crash site you gave, both the Civic and Echo are average, and one of them (the Echo?) has a black mark for Injuries.
If safety is a high priority, what about a Volvo?
Their safety is above average, and around $15K would get you a late 90's 850 series, which is kind of mid-size. ($3.5K-$7K for early 90's). Somewhere I recall you saying you had a family contact at Regency, they have an 850 listed in the Buy and Sell online. Might be worth a test drive.
(I have no financial interest nor affiliation to anyone in the auto industry, but freely admit to a bias towards Volvos. I drive one, my wife drives one, and my daughter is driving a 78 that we got almost 2 years ago for $1,400. Part of the reason for the bias is their safety and survivability record.)
Hope this is not straying too far from the thread title, but it seemed that as your criteria and budget have evolved, it was worthwhile mentioning.  
Good luck, maybe you already got that 2000 Civic, in which case - terrific.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 04:06:20 pm »
FWIW, the 2001 and 2002 Mazda Millenia have side impact air bags.

http://www.hwysafety.org/srpdfs/sr3601.pdf

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/01millenia.htm

The Mazda Millenia is on my short list. Do a search for Millenia at this forum. Pricing appears to be very reasonable, especially for a near luxury vehicle. Spirited performance with a 210 hp supercharged engine too. ;)  

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Gpw11

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2005, 10:42:40 pm »
"I am a bit confused. How can a car rental company be the one of the highest recommended places?  

Isn't it true that many car rental companies neglect to do oil changes or fudge records of the same. And this simple thing along could be undetectable by an oil change before sale, but a few years down the road will mean serious work?  

Has ICBC done a longitudanal study of Budget cars?"

It's highly reccomended by various jounralists, ICBC, and BCAA.  It also has a very good record with the BBB.  I agree that usually it would be a good idea to stay away from buying a car from a rental company (or any other type of fleet car), aparently Budget's warrenty is outstanding, and they take excellent care of the cars they turn around and sell.  But honestly, I've never dealt with them so I couldn't tell you for sure - it's all heresay.

Straysheepie

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 03:29:32 am »
Just came back from a weekend ski trip, and am pleasantly surprised to see such informative replies! The trip got me thinking about purchasing a 4-door sedan instead of a 2-door car so I can throw luggage in easily... on the other hand, my skis don't fit into my Mom's '04 Corolla trunk so I might have to mount a roof rack in any case, and a 2 door hatchback is still quite roomy.

@ Slippers, thanks for the site and contact, it gives me more leads to follow up on!

@ Spitdriver, that crash test site includes multiple studies conducted by different organizations so it provides a more comprehensive look at the car.  I find that cars generally fare better with the US tests than the ones from abroad, and I'm not sure which to believe.  I'll do some research for Volvos, I know a friend and her family swears by them for safety.

And the 2000 Civic I inquired about had been stolen and had a claim over $2k, so there goes that...

@ Davidy, will have a look at the Millenia, I've looked at some of their later models like Mazda3 and I've been impressed by their design.  I hear Mazda handling is excellent too, even for the Protege.

@ Gpw11, I am thinking of visiting Budget as well.  I know Budget will take care of their cars, but I'm worried some customers may not... which Budget can't really do anything about.

Oh, well, the search continues...