Author Topic: Just bought one  (Read 2595 times)

William_w

Just bought one
« on: January 08, 2005, 04:30:49 pm »
Some of you may be following my car buying adventure I have just bought one.

It was for my wife.  And the main criteria was Automatic and Air Con.  Also, there has to be some warranty left.

So we set out on our search.  First started with a 2001 Kia Magentis, the list price is $7995. I would have bought it, but the dealer was unwilling to deal and unwilling to include saftied and etest on the car.  If saftied and etest is included, he wants $10k out the door.  So I walked.

After that, I have seen the following:  (Price indicated are out the door)

2004 Cavalier 30k km for $13k.  (ex-rental, but fully loaded)

2002 Ford Focus SE Sports Wagon 85k km for 10.7k.  (dealer unwilling to deal, when I was about to give in, the dealer sold the car)  

Than I was solicit by a used car dealer to buy a car off a Dealers only auction.  
http://www.canadiandriver.com/discus/messages/1492/24381.html?1105034996

Last nite, I went to see a 2002 Kia Rio Wagon, 82k km at $9.5k.  The car look pretty rough, but the price was in the ballpark.  I was thinking about returning to take a second look at the car today and do a test drive and see the car during day light.  

But this morning, I checked the online version of the autotrader.  Saw a 2002 Chrysler Neon LE (At a Nissan Dealer as a trade in, with air con, auto, power group) at Cornwall for $7995 + Tax.  Drove an hour to get there, test drive the car.  Everything checks out ok plus the dealer put in New Brakes (with invoices) for safetied.  Offer $9000 out the door and got the car.  

I know I didn't get the best possible deal, but I think I made a fair deal in the sense that I got a clean car within the black book range. ($7,826 net of tax, BlackBook's Low: $6,751.00 to High: $8,251.00)

So Lesson learned from my car buying experience in Ottawa?  Don't buy in Ottawa.  Picking are relatively slim, dealers are not really receptive to negotiate even with a cheque book and credit card in hand.  Everyone charges a Dealer Adminstrative Fee.  And lastly, some place treata customers like idiots and misinform them about the car that they are looking into buying.

Barrie1

Just bought one
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 11:27:29 pm »
Pics would be nice to see. Glad your happy with your purchase.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Just bought one
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 08:59:35 am »
Sounds like you did your homework, William and got the best for all your efforts.  Pics, please!

I wonder why the Ottawa area is like that.  Slim pickings for a used car?  With the popularity of leasing, you'd think there'd be a pantload of them out there.

Sorry if this was discussed in the other thread and I missed it.  I just find the idea of regional differences in the car-buying experience rather intriguing.

Brigitte

William_w

Just bought one
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 09:10:33 am »
Thanks!!!

I haven't taken delivery on the car yet.  It will be driven up to Ottawa on Tuesday by the dealer.  

But here's a link to the dealer's ad.
http://www.trader.ca/VLotsEnlarged.asp?strPic=4142248&strYear=2002&strMake=DODGE &strModel=NEON&strMile=48641&strPrice=7995&vlotNamegif=CornwallNissan/images/log o.gif&trader=1&CAT=1&unitcode=K

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Just bought one
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 10:47:56 am »
Sounds like you were a smart buyer and are happy with what you got. That's all that matters. It looks to be in good condition too. Congrats on your new car!

Sterling

Just bought one
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 01:45:32 pm »
Brigitte, I think it is more likely a case of, "the grass is always greener ..."

I know a number of people that claim that they have to drive an hour out of the city to find "the best deals" at small rural dealerships. I also have a number of relatives living in rural areas who insist on travelling to the city to buy because of selection and to avoid the feeling of being "captive" to the small-town dealer.

Everyone tends to believe that where they live is the "worst" market for buying cars.