Author Topic: Leaky Wheels  (Read 10753 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Leaky Wheels
« on: October 24, 2020, 10:23:37 am »
So, I was hoping putting new tires on the truck would take care of the leaking, but alas, it was not the fix I was hoping for (although it did still need new tires, it drives like a Cadillac again).  So, with TPMS's in the wheels, is there a solution to my problem?  Something I can inject into the valve stem which will seal up the slow leaks in what can only then be the wheels themselves and not the tires.

I had asked them when they put the tires on to make sure to clean the bead surface..."Oh yeah! We do that all the time..." - well, apparently not good enough. 

Local guy used to slather on this black sticky shi# on the lip of the wheel which makes a wee bit of a mess once the wheels start spinning - can't not drive it after all.  He's long since retired and no one bought the shop to replace him.

Or, I can think of two other options, both more costly than if you guys know of a product that will work for thousands less...

Option 1: find a set of 18" takeoffs from a new F150, or;
Option 2: Build and Price time!  ;D Wheels leak...time to trade!  The new one's have Toyota type injection so should be much better...plus WAY better on gas from what I've read. 

So, any suggestions?  ???

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Leaky Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:30:21 am »
If you just had new tires put on take the truck back tot he shop and tell them you’re losing air. Get them to resolve it.

Is it all the wheels that are leaking?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 11:33:24 am »
time to trade... :stick:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 12:06:16 pm »
If you just had new tires put on take the truck back tot he shop and tell them you’re losing air. Get them to resolve it.

Is it all the wheels that are leaking?

Hmmm...should've mentioned I bought brand new takes offs - private sale.  Tire store has no obligation to me...hell when I called to ask about getting them installed there was a pause.  You have to think about it?  :think: Well, you didn't buy them here. No shi#.  You're not facking Costco FFS...why would I pay $1500 when I can get 'em for $600?  ::) No brainer...so I thought.   :'( But we don't make any money off the sale... :'(
Do you make money off tires anyway? I thought the $31.25/tire to install & balance was where the money was... :P

So yeah, they owe me nothing.

time to trade... :stick:

I know, right!?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »
Not the valve in the stem? That would be an easy fix, twists out with a valve tool

Otherwise I've had that black rim sealer stuff used at install on leaky cast motorcycle rims, worked well. Have to clean and seal around the valve stem as well as the rims. Soapy water told where the leaks were

Not sure about the 'fix a flat' stuff you pour in, especially with TPMS sensors

The Vibe wheels were leaking around the bead, they 10 years old and corroded generally so I just got new rims

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 08:18:40 pm »
I'll typically lose 3-4 psi in 6 mths.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 08:59:32 am »
This is enough that it goes from 40-42 to TPMS warning in a week...so 15-20 psi gone.  One wheel is worse than another, the other two seem fine.

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 09:07:16 am »
First, try to find out where they are leaking.

a)  Try spraying the wheels with a detergent spray and see where it bubbles.  If it is around the tire/wheel interface, then you can take it to a tire shop and have them apply a bead sealing compound.  It sometimes takes more than one try to get that to work.

If they are leaking around the valve hole, then you know what to do about that!

If nothing is revealed:

b)  Do the dunk test.  If you don't have have a large utility tub, use a kiddie pool!  Fill it up and dunk the entire assembly in and see where the bubbles come from.  If not as mentioned above - like THROUGH the wheels - than you either have to seal the wheel inside (means taking off the tire and spraying the wheel well with a sealant or clearcoat)

This is going to require patience!  Good news is the cost is low!
CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 10:49:15 pm »
Too cold out for any of that funny stuff now. 

So I did fill them this afternoon...and the lowest was at 27 psi and the other 3 were at 32ish...so, some people still think 32 psi is the magic number (it's what I was always told to have in my tires since I was but a wee lad with my first car...to hell with any other opinion...).  Door card says 40 psi cold.  So I put them all up to that like I normally would.  Should take at least 2-3 weeks now to get that one to drop to 27 again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 11:13:55 pm »
40 cold?

Wow
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 09:51:55 am »
40 cold?

Wow
yea, seems high...but, if that's what it says to use, i guess so?
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 10:00:13 am »
40 sounds high but my GTI is 38 so what do I know.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 10:15:11 am »
Leaky rims are really facking annoying. I'd probably just visit another tire shop, tell them you've got a leak, and let them investigate and resolve. Unless you've got a tire machine and balancer, there's not a hole lot you can do at home. The only thing I'd do before that is double check that the valve stem core itself isn't leaking, because that is something you can resolve at home. Take some soapy water (or spit, if you want) and drop it into the valve stem....if it bubbles it's the valve stem core that's either loose or bad. You can tighten it with a little valve stem tool.
If that's not it....then take it somewhere.

For the record, I run about 38 PSI in the Escalade on ATs....I am not even sure what the door card says, but I prefer the handling with the high pressure. I think it's because they're AT tires with a fairly large sidewall and a heavy truck, high pressure seems to sharpen it up a bit.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 10:18:53 am »
Yeah, take it to a tire shop and get them to fix it. If nothing else, it will be their cross to bear after the first time you take it there.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 12:32:43 pm »
Yeah, take it to a tire shop and get them to fix it. If nothing else, it will be their cross to bear after the first time you take it there.

:iagree:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 03:27:52 pm »
40 cold?

Wow

Uhm..."truck" - not car.   ;D  I don't run 40 in the car...door sticker says 40 on the Truck.  LT tires on 18's - if I went by sidewall...I can pump 80 psi (should check these tires before I say for sure) into those things...take away the smooth no bump ride for sure.

I'ma wait and see if it becomes a regular thing again.  And November's coming, maybe Ford has some smokin' 0% + employee pricing coming.  ;D :P ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 03:32:24 pm »
40 cold?

Wow

Uhm..."truck" - not car.   ;D  I don't run 40 in the car...door sticker says 40 on the Truck.  LT tires on 18's - if I went by sidewall...I can pump 80 psi (should check these tires before I say for sure) into those things...take away the smooth no bump ride for sure.

I'ma wait and see if it becomes a regular thing again.  And November's coming, maybe Ford has some smokin' 0% + employee pricing coming.  ;D [emoji14] ;)
Oh ok..that makes more sense