Author Topic: Out of province car  (Read 3604 times)

Dale

Out of province car
« on: December 11, 2004, 02:14:45 pm »
I'm in Vancouver and am looking at a car that's offered by a private seller here that spent most of it's life in Regina. Other than any body defects which would be obvious are there any other things that should definately be checked on. He's had the full bumper to bumper ICBC check and passed. It's a 2001 Nissan Maxima with every option priced well below what it would be on a lot. Thanks

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Out of province car
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 04:25:20 pm »
The ICBC check is fairly cursory and won't pick up serious mechanical problems. I would have it checked out by an independent mechanic of your choice and at your cost. If the seller doesn't allow you to do that, walk away. The mech. will look at engine, driveline, etc. Good luck.  

BTW, welcome to the Forum.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Ericthejet

Out of province car
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 06:17:10 pm »
Welcome Dale.  I would also suggest along with Ovr's thoughts is to ask to see some maintance records onthe car.  This may help you make up your mind on the car and give you a good idea on how well it was look'd after.  Reg. maintance and stuff like that.  In Ontario we have provincal checks as well but they miss many items which would be more of a concern later on down the road.  IMO the Maxima is a grat car with lots of bang for the buck and they are alos well put together.  Good choice but do check it out first.  Pass along any details if you get some.

Cheers

Dale

Out of province car
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 07:52:13 pm »
Thanks guys. The car's my second choice. I had a BMW 3 series a few years ago and would love to have another but the one I would want is just out of financial reach right now. I'm taking a look at the Maxima this afternoon. I'll let you know.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Out of province car
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 08:34:04 am »
Hope it turned out well for you Dale, but if you have a chance to get it looked at while it's up on the hoist check out the amount of rust. It might not have been undercoated.  

If so car might benefit from being Krowned if you do buy it.

Davidm

Out of province car
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 07:37:24 pm »
Dale, one thing to note - on resale, buyers in BC tend to get pretty freaked by out of province cars.  For sure there should be an "out of province" discount from comparable BC cars.  Just one more thing that makes a sale a touch more difficult in the future.

Dale

Out of province car
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 01:59:16 am »
Yes, I realize there is the "out of province" stigma here. I'm having the car inspected tomorrow. It's already priced 4 to $5000 less than comparable BC cars. And I believe the seller is expecting me to list off the deficiencies and deduct the repair cost from the price, which I will do.
I'm quite comfortable buying used vehicles privately. If you proceed carefully you can save substantial money.  
I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks for the responses. This is an enjoyable forum for a "car guy".

Dale

Out of province car
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 11:40:41 pm »
Well the inspection came back very clean with basically nothing that I didn't already know (minor corrosion on the alloys, fine scratches on body). The "out of province discount" covers that tenfold so I'm happy. I signed a deal with the owner today!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Out of province car
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 11:58:45 pm »
Dale - good for you, sounds like you got a solid one and at a good price. Remember, we need pictures !!!! Congrats.