Author Topic: The time during an accident or close call  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
The time during an accident or close call
« on: December 08, 2004, 12:35:43 am »
maybe this is a stupid topic but for me it sometimes seems like time slows down.

I mean when i was in my recent situation, it seemed like time slow down and i had more time to react;
perhaps it has to do with adrenalin and the intensity of the situation. The worst feeling is when you know you can't do anything about a collision.

Just wondering if anyone has that kindof feeling in similar close calls or collisions.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:54:08 am »
Know what you're talking about, Bhatch. It's similar to being on glare ice, coming up behind a stopped car and you know you are not going to stop, ABS or not, nothing you can do. It seems to take forever to hit that car. It's a very sinking, rotten feeling. I think you are just totally focussed on the situation.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Barrie1

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:59:31 am »
Yes it does but it is a Good Learning Experience as well. Makes you a better Driver from this experience.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 09:26:39 am »
i agree with Barrie...
these are the kind of situations where you will learn and gain experience

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 09:32:12 am »
I have been in a few situations on snow and ice where I have collided with another vehicle. Back in ’88 I rear ended another truck with my F-150 4x4 when her bounced off a snow bank and ended perpendicular across the road in front of me….The look on her face I will never forget as I crashed into her. I had no abs and pumping the brakes…..but I was on ice and could do nothing.

In a similar experience in ’91 I took the ditch to avoid the collision…..no damage to the guy who lost it pulling a boat….but it cost me $2k to fix mine. I choose the ditch now….but you city dwellers do not have that option most of the time.

I had a transport driver fall asleep in the approaching lane of the 401 east of Kingston once. The truck came at us across the grass meridian and at that spit second I decided to accelerate past the estimated point of impact. All that happened is we went though a wave of dirt and grass from the truck. If I had decided to brake…..we would have hit the truck head on. I think go back many times and think about that close call……Wiffy was 7 months pregnant at the time.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 10:25:22 am »
I had 1 really close call when I was 16, came around a VERY icy turn and was going straight (no steering) I remember seeing that on coming car come SOOO slowly it was painfull and we missed by a HAIR

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 11:29:28 am »
That's what your body does to help you deal with a situation. If you ever talk to a cop that has been in a shooting incident they will tell you that they could watch the bullit come out of the barrel of the gun. I find it happens frequently on this job. Like when you're arresting someone at gunpoint everything slows down and you get tunnel vision. Otherwise it would be too difficult to deal with the situation at normal speed!
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 11:37:27 am »
MATRIX
bullet-time

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 11:42:04 am »
Interesting question bhatch. Last winter a buddy and I were driving in his CRV (with ABS) and we were driving down an icy hill. My buddy was overly cautious going about 5-10 kph and yet we still started to slide. at the bottom of the hill were a set of lights with a dodge caravan waiting for the lights to change. We weren't too worried as me did not start slipping and were quite a distance away. Then as soon as the lights turned green we felt the CRV's grip suddenly slip and we were now sliding quite quickly towards the caravan. Again, no big deal, the lights turned green, so the can would probably get out of the way. Nope. Stayed still. My buddy started freaking out, honking the horn frantically, yelling to get the f*ck out of the way. We just plain couldn't stop. Turns out the Caravan was yeilding to an ambulance that had its lights flashing but NOT its sirens. I swear, every time I think about it, it seemed like it was 5 minutes of us sliding, completely helpless not being able to do anything. We eneded up slightly tapping the back bumper of the caravan with no damage. It was kind of funny how we were both freaking out and yet nothing reall happened. But scary as hell when it did happen. We laugh about it today, but my buddy has learned a good lesson from it