Author Topic: VW Brand Pricing Goes More Mainstream  (Read 6421 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
VW Brand Pricing Goes More Mainstream
« on: December 02, 2004, 12:27:48 pm »

With a lot of people bitchin' about how VW is snuffin' something trying to shoot for the stars, this may evoke a 'told you so'. I just hope the pricing comes down on the vehicles, and not the degree of design, engineering, or quality built into them.  

VW drops highest-price position  

By Wim Oude Weernink  
Automotive News Europe / November 29, 2004  

High-volume Volkswagens such as the Polo, Golf, and Passat will no longer be the highest-priced models in their segments.  

Volkswagen is shifting pricing strategies on its mainstream cars to make them more competitive against rivals from Asia and France. VW's policy of taking the premium-priced position was initiated in the 1990s by then CEO Ferdinand Piëch.  

For example, when VW introduces its Brazilian-built Fox in Europe in the spring, the car will be bigger than and priced below the Lupo minicar it replaces. It is part of VW's bid to double its European sales in the minicar segment.  

The Lupo starts at E10,150 in Germany but extras usually increase the car's price to about E12,000.  

"VW brand won't position its cars at the high end of each segment any more," said a VW brand source in Wolfsburg.  

Another source said that the next Passat upper-medium model that will debut in March at the Geneva auto show will have a more competitive entry-level version equipped with steel wheels.  

"It won't get alloy wheels as standard, as initially planned," said the source. "That will save a few hundred euros from the start."  

Industry analysts welcome the new strategy. But they also see risks, especially when many basic designs are shared by VW, Skoda, Seat and even Audi.  

"It is unavoidable that with 50 models for Seat, Skoda and Volkswagen, that there will be some overlap between them," said Maria Bissinger, auto industry director at Standard & Poor's in Frankfurt.  

No 'super Passats'  

Adam Jonas, an analyst with Morgan Stanley in London, said that the move make sense following the recent agreement on a seven-year labor contract between VW and workers in Germany.  

"They need to find to keep plant utilization high, and that does not work with super Passats and Phaetons," Jonas said.  

VW brand's premium-price positioning has sacrificed some market share to French, Japanese and Korean brands, he said.  

"Volkswagen used to have pricing power. But with increased competition from rival brands, which have improved perceived quality," VW's price strategy is under pressure, Jonas said. "Because of that, Volkswagen may not be able to benefit from increased volume."  

VW will have trouble being price-competitive on the Golf. Many parts and systems cost more in the Golf than in competitor models. For example, the Golf's multi-link rear suspension costs more to manufacture than the suspensions in the Opel Astra or Ford Focus.  

"The Golf's exotic rear suspension alone costs E200 to E300 more compared with other lower-medium models," a rival carmaker CEO said.  

VW could boost sales and cut Golf per-unit production costs by offering more variants that share modules, such as the Touran minivan and future Bora/Jetta sedan.  

In 1992, the Golf and Golf station wagon alone sold 957,000 units globally. Last year, that number was 647,067 units.  

At this week's Bologna auto show, the Golf Plus, a high-roof version of the car, will make its debut.  

"It will be positioned between Golf and Touran," said VW brand marketing boss Ludger Fretzen.  

The four-door Bora sedan (called the Jetta in the US) will debut at the Los Angeles auto show in January. The Bora is produced at VW's plant in Puebla, Mexico. It comes to Europe in the autumn of 2005.  

Golf remains a best seller  

The Golf Variant, the model's station wagon version, is due in 2006. It will fill a stable sub-segment that contributes 10 percent of total Golf sales, Fretzen said.  

"When all versions of Golf are on the market, the total volume of Golf-derived models will be higher than in the past," he said.  

In September, the Golf hatchback reclaimed its position as Europe's best-selling car with 415,020 units sold in the first nine months, against 398,585 Peugeot 206s. Opel/Vauxhall sold 267,216 Astras in the same period.  

A revised Polo small-segment car and the new entry-level Fox model will debut at the Leipzig trade fair in April 2005.  

VW has not yet priced the face-lifted Polo.  

But brand sales boss Georg Flandorfer said VW is considering an inexpensive Polo version.  

"We have to accept that some of our customers want to spend less money on their cars," Flandorfer said. "A high-volume producer such as VW has to take this into account."  

The Fox will succeed the slow-selling and expensive Lupo, which sold only 43,000 units in Europe last year.  

"VW had to stop [the] bleeding on the high-tech Lupo minicar," said Christoph Stürmer, an analyst with Global Insight in Frankfurt.  

With an overall length of 3800mm, Fox is bigger than original 1975 Golf. It is also 280mm longer and 80mm taller than Lupo. Fretzen said he expects annual European Fox sales to exceed 100,000 units.  

But VW does not plan to offer a car smaller than Fox in Europe.  

Fretzen said: "Unlike our competitors, we do not need a smaller car than Fox."  

– Wolfgang Eschment contributed
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 12:51:53 pm »
VW has big holes in the market. Where is the $24k-$30 mid sized family sedan? Where are the mini vans? Where are the sub $30k Cute Utes? Where are the $30-$35 family SUV’s, Where the Fack are the Pee Cup trucks?....For Fack sakes….Don’t give us cars you think we want….give us something we want. Wagons fer Folks?

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 01:02:50 pm »
That's because they weren't shooting for the "C" in D-C, they were shooting for the "D". Do they want to be high margin-low volume or low margin-high volume, somewhere in between? As we discussed before they still seem lost.  And it might not be pretty to watch them try to find their way.

BTW Snowy, I can hardly see your lips move when you cuss.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Mdxtasy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 01:16:34 pm »
VW wants high margin high volume...but we all know you can't have your cake and eat it too.  They've had it wrong for so long, it's sad now.  Like Snowball says, what they have given us in the market are niche vehicles.  Low margin cars and low volume too.  Maybe lowering their pricing will increase their volume but it might also lower their margins even more.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 03:07:45 pm »

It's funny, because in Europe they are pretty well high volume and mid-to-high margain.

Phaeton hasn't done well at all, Touareg pretty well all things considered.

The new Golf started off slowly with a very high price in-segment, but once again is Europe's #1 selling car (with a little bit of incentives, but not crazy ones). And this despite numerous new and exciting offerings, and the shift in buying habits to mini-MPV's. Set to sell 600,000 Golf-platform variations (new Golf V, Golf IV, Bora/Jetta, wagons - excluding the Touran) it's basically maintained stable sales in a shrinking and more competitive market segment.

They have two smaller cars than Golf there (the Polo we should have), the small MPV Touran (again, which we should get), large van Sharan, EuroVan-like MultiVan, the Caddy Life (a quasi-commercial/lifestyle vehicle), and many other models with a mulitude of engines and package levels.

We just don't get any of those here. Even in Europe, there's now quite a bit of pricing pressure - people aren't buying the high-priced items they once were just to have the best.  

I think moving into the mainstream pricing will hurt VW's other brands like Skoda, because they are very comparable to the VWs but priced a bit lower.  

Here, I have mixed feelings. Lower pricing is a good idea and I'm sure would push more cars, but it depends on the model line (some are fairly competitive, while others less so) and not at the expense of simply making the cars cheaper. I don't think volume is the simple answer to the company's issues, and I for one am not looking for them to sell as well as Honda or Toyota - although I want VW to compete with them. Very complex. I welcome the change if it's simply a 'price positioning' thing.

Dialtone

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 04:48:21 pm »
Doesn't seem like they're lowering their price at all, they're just offering decontented versions for less $$.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 05:56:56 pm »

Now, now Dialtone... this is new news. Can hardly say that's what's going to happen based solely on the article. It's hard to just 'drop prices' on cars already designed to be sold at higher prices, so yes some standard equipment may become optional, or perhaps new value editions will be created. I'd rather they do that than simply build a cheapie car. Changes haven't even been announced yet, and I'm sure most of it is directed at the European market in particular.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 06:53:21 am »
Whats happening is not a price problem...

i think VW has lost its built quality and thats why its hard to justify the higher car prices...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 09:35:05 am »
Exactly the point I was trying to make….And by using this price lowering scheme to increase sales is evidence that management is facked. No direction and making excuses will sink VW into darkness…..time for some solutions to the problem. Make cars for the people. Going up-scale to compete with your Audi sister will not work.  

(Message edited by snowman on December 03, 2004)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 10:57:28 am »

I disagree, but that's fine :-)

Mdxtasy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 11:06:06 am »
Of course you would.  

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 12:21:41 pm »
expected...

Freezing

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 10:13:27 pm »
VW. Buyer beware.The maintenance cost for VW in Canada is ridiculous high.This is mainly because of the contract/agreement between the dealer and the factory that prohibits the use of parts other than VW. new parts or VW.factory rebuild parts. For instance,the dealer is not allowed to open up or O/H your tranny or install a used one.
They will not install an aftermarket rack and pinion even though the cost is half of a VW.one.
Only VW. new is good enough for them.  
On and on it goes adding up to very expensive repairs.
Stick to our domestic Big Three. When in Canada buy Canadian!!

Barrie1

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 10:24:50 pm »
I certainly will and Thanks for the advice.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 11:04:12 am »

Funny, my dealer advises me to use aftermarket German parts such as brake pads when they're of substantial savings to me, are actually built by the same company, and are the same component, but marketed differently. Bosch, or what-have-you.

Big dealerships make big money. Over the week-end I heard a story of a GM dealer in Montreal ripping off my aunt's father. Has and Impala and he doesn't drive much at all. At 300 kms they did a full servicing on his car including tire rotation. Charged him for verbally letting him know the 'seatbelt' light won't go off unless he's wearing it. At 22K gave him a $1,200 bill for routine maintenance. The guy's 82 years old and more trusting than the new generation of people where 'buyer beware' is the mantra. But that doesn't mean a dealership or anyone (telemarketer, etc) should take advantage.  

My labour rate is $72/hr at VW. I don't think that's excessive nowadays. There are dealerships that are lower priced than others. Hyundais I'm sure are less to maintain than a BMW. I'm sure VW is closer to BMW, but I wouldn't say they're the most expensive - or the least. Depends on where you go too.

Barrie1

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 11:44:31 pm »
$72. an hour is very cheap in to-days market as most of the dealers are over $90.00 per hour. Sounds like your dealer is honest as well as his advice is Money saving as well. Don't like what the GM Dealer is doing to the relative. You should be on the phone calling the GM Hotline on that one. No Company needs Dishonest dealers.