Author Topic: Transmission noise?  (Read 18018 times)

Sterling

Transmission noise?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004, 09:42:38 pm »
"In Ontario every brand name dealership that sells a used car has at least a 30 day unconditional warranty on all parts and labour."

AS, you don't know what you are talking about.

Cut and pasted from the OMVIC website:

Is there an automatic warranty when I buy a used car? What about the Safety Certificate?  
A There are no automatic warranty provisions in Ontario. The Safety Standards Certificate is not a warranty. It just means the car met a minimum set of safety criteria on the day it was examined. This certificate is valid for a period of thirty-six days only.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Transmission noise?
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 11:30:59 pm »
I am not talking about the Safety Certificate.

I was saying, and I am still saying, that every brand name, new car dealer in Ontario has a minimum of 30 days full warranty on what they sell used, providing it is not damaged caused by the buyer.

My son's new car, brand name dealer, has 90 days on all used cars that they sell.

So before you go shooting your mouth off from Alberta, about me here in Ontario, and obsuring the debate with that safety certificate info, which I am clearly not talking about, nor am I talking about non brand name "used" car dealers, list me one BRAND NAME dealer in Ontario that sells a used car and does not warranty that car for at least 30 days.

LIST ONE DEALER.

Having said all that, Gary, what's up?  Where did the car come from and what results have you got?
You gotta finish this thread off.

Sterling

Transmission noise?
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 11:56:14 pm »
I'll try to make it simple for you and remove the part about the Safety Certificate that has confused you:

Here is OMVIC's (that stands for Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council) answer to the question,  Is there an automatic warranty when I buy a used car?
A: There are no automatic warranty provisions in Ontario.

That means that your automatic 30 day warranty does not exist. A given dealer can offer any warranty they want, but it does not exist automatically.

Check it out for yourself at http://www.omvic.on.ca/ or maybe ask your son about it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Transmission noise?
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 12:47:06 pm »
No need to make it more simple.  My challenge to you was to list ONE, only ONE, brand name car dealership that does not include at least a 30 day warranty, at a minimum, on any used car they sell off their used car lot.

You list the name, I call them up to confirm, and then I will concede.

I should have used "policy" rather than "legislation". Man I can't stand it when folks nit pick on words.  As if this was a law forum. The point remains the same; all Ontario brand new car dealers, who sell used cars, offer a 30 day warranty at least.  The companies would not allow their brand names to be associated with dealers that sold used cars under that brand name and then left the customer in the lurch if his car broke an hour after it left the lot.

Try the Ontario New Car Dealers Association if the issue is that important.

So Gary, where are you at?

Garyf

Transmission noise?
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2004, 08:35:51 am »
Hi guys,

Here's the status:
1. To answer your question about warranty, the car came from a Ford dealer with a 30 day 50/50 warranty (I pay 50% for any repairs during first 30 days)
2. Had the tranny serviced at same dealer, car shifts fine, but same noise in park.
3. The service advisor looked at the TSB, but stated it didn't look like a FORD TSB based on the TSB numbering format. I agree with him because I've subscribed to ALLDATA and the Ford TSB numbers are different, and the TSB in question doesn't appear on ALLDATA.
4. The service advisor did not brush me off, we spent a good amount of time discussing it, and we went for a drive together to reproduce the noise. He figured it is a normal noise, and to back it up, he pulled another 2001 Taurus off the lot and we were able to make the same noise with it.

For now I think I've gone as far as I can with the dealer. Next step is to order the full copy of the TSB from the NHTSA web site. Who knows, it may also describe the noise as normal....

I'll update once I get a copy, could be of use to other users.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Transmission noise?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2004, 10:25:10 am »
Well Sterling, it looks like I owe you an apology.

I can't believe a Ford dealer sells a 3 year old Ford off the lot and gives only a 50/50 warranty.  50/50 warranties are meaningless because all the dealer, (this applies to any dealer selling any type of motor/motor sport vehicle), does is add a whole load of unneccessary repairs to the job to effectively negate the cost of his portion of the warranty.

The only percentage repair that is any way respectable is a 100% on labour and a 50/50 of parts.  My son's leading Japanese dealership pays 100% for 90 days on anything.

Some use the declining method; 100% on everything first 30 days, next 30 days is 100% labour /50/50 parts, last 30 days is usually 50/50 on labour/parts

That is one terrible dealership. I now all brand name dealers give at least a 30 day warranty, but to split it 50/50 is scumball stuff.

Gary, the dealer beat you.  A service adviser is there to do 2 things; over sell the customer or to deflect complaints from the customer.  If you didn't get to the "service manager" then you got nowhere.

I would log your issue at the Ford call centre to be official before the 30 days is up and then I would get Phil's book or e-mail him personally in Florida (he returned my E-mail with case law that I am using against Chrysler).

Your TSB won't get you anywhere with them.  You need to find the secret warranty.  Ford has them on trannys.  Find that info and you will be farther ahead.  The daeler knew about the warranty, but they are not going to tell you.

The bottom line is they will do everything not to pay and you need to kick and scream and threaten to get your justice.

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Transmission noise?
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2004, 10:57:34 am »
Gary:

Get a written notice from the dealer saying everything is okay if you can.  If you have trouble later on, you can say you returned the vehicle promptly.  Everything I do, I get in writing. If you can't get it in writing, type a little note to yourself indicating who you talked to, the date, what was said, etc.  Date it, Sign it and file it away.   It is the only way to protect yourself in litigious society.  Showing up with bills, notices and memos to yourself is a lot easier that showing up empty handed if you have to go to arbitration or court.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Transmission noise?
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2004, 11:50:28 am »
Drive the car for six months and sell it.  The depreciation loss will be lower than the future repairs on that car.  Those are not particularly well made cars and I'm willing to wager that you'll be in deep within two years on some major repair.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Transmission noise?
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 01:38:50 pm »
What Johngenx says is sad but true, you will get next to nothing though;

Today, the book is $5200 less reconditioning costs with 63000km.

Next spring it is $4300 less reconditioning costs with 73.000km.

A bitter lesson.  I've been there.

Smainville

Transmission noise?
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2004, 04:49:57 pm »
Gents, I think the 5/100,000 is only on the infamous Focus and Windstar.

Sterling

Transmission noise?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2004, 05:23:07 pm »
The 5yr/100000 powertrain warranty is on all Ford cars and minivans starting at the end of 2001.

Sterling

Transmission noise?
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2004, 05:26:54 pm »
AS, what book are you using? Canadian Black Book online gives $7350-$9090 as current wholesale less recon.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Transmission noise?
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2004, 09:37:01 pm »
I like to drive cars until they reach a ripe old age, but I don't hang onto potential problems.  We had a 1998 E300 turbodiesel that was a terrible car, with all kinds of problems.  I sold it before it was out of warranty, fearing the thousands of dollars that might be incurred had we kept it.  Troublesome cars are just not worth the headaches, and I'll take the deprecation hit before losing my shirt on repairs and time messing about.

With this Taurus, I'd get rid of it.  Remember the guy on the board with the car that made him sick with the HVAC system?  Why bother?  Sell it, be done with it, buy a Toyota and live happily ever after.

I know the tranny might last 10 more years.  But, it might last 10 more minutes too.  With the poor track record those cars have, odds are not in the owner's favour.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Transmission noise?
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2004, 03:24:09 pm »
Sterling, I typed in LX, not SE  

So sorry Gary, I guess you didn't need that.  LOL!

LX is about $2000 less than SE

All in all those cars are in low demand so Gary's car is still probably worth a tad less than 7K (without the noise)

Garyf

Transmission noise?
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2004, 11:33:46 pm »
Thanks for all the advise guys.
We knew the Taurus had only average reliability, but it had excellent crash test results, had plenty of room for our two young kids (and the load of accessories that go everywhere with them!), and it fit our budget. I don't mind getting my hands dirty doing my own repairs, so my only real concern with this model was the transmission, which is why I'm hyper sensitive to any noises which seem unusual.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and my Haynes manual handy!
Thanks,
Gary