Author Topic: Rally of the Tall Pines  (Read 9810 times)

Bigjilm123

Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 12:09:37 pm »
I went to the 2003 Tall Pines Rally, and it KICKED HUGE BUTT!  I had an amazing time...

If you do go, there's a viewing area with BBQs and a helicopter tour and about a billion people standing on the inside of the corner (sorry, don't remember the name of it).  Instead of standing there, walk back up the road about a km (opposite to the direction the cars are going), and get up into the trees.  Much less people, and you can get a better view.

The spot we picked last year was at the end of a straightaway with a sweeping right hander as they went out of site.  Cars were approaching from the top of a rise, and some of them got air under their tires.  Just amazing.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 11:42:07 pm »
Great 1st post, Bigjilm123.  

Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to attending.  Any more spectator info would be welcome.  

BTW, welcome to the forum!  

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 12:20:50 pm »
BUMP...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 01:30:24 pm »
My friend and I went to the Rally of the Tall Pines Saturday.  We missed the morning Iron Bridge stage but managed to see the two afternoon Iron Bridge stages, and the first of two Castledine's Corner night stages.  It rained for most of the afternoon which made for some mucky spectating.  I was wishing for snow the whole time.  We didn't see any crashes but it was a ton of fun nonetheless.  

Pics taken at the Iron Bridge stages with a conventional point-and-shoot film camera:

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 01:39:36 pm »
Crashes would have made it more fun???

Thanks for the "old school" pics Mr T.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004, 01:47:33 pm »
Have you ever watched rally racing on TV, DSW?  The most fun is when a car goes off course and the spectators help it back on to the road.  I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but crashes are a part of motorsport.  

I brought my wife's Fuji digicam with me, but as it was raining most of the day, I did not want to risk ruining a $1500 camera.  So I used my 'old school' Canon instead.  I didn't bother taking any pics during the night stage as they wouldn't have turned out anyhow.

Check this site periodically for TV listings:
http://www.crc-rally.com/CRC/Home/TVSchedule.aspx

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2004, 01:56:42 pm »
Fuji Digicam...doesn't it RAIN in Japan my fair weathered friend??? will the lil pixies get wet!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2004, 02:00:05 pm »
No, I get it Mr. T.  It's the dark side of the attraction to motorsport.  I'm just poking fun.  I always liked watching the CASCAR race on the Vancouver street course as much because of the of the mayhem as the "racing' display.  It just sounds so bloodthirsty.  Like..."I went to see the fights, but a hockey game broke out."

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2004, 02:06:32 pm »
(Mount) Fuji hasn't rained (down) on Japan in quite some time, Saffy.  I'm not sure, but it may have something to do with the shape of the pixies, er, pixels.  Fuji uses octagonal shaped pixels.  

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Rally of the Tall Pines
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2004, 02:23:21 pm »
   Mount Fuji was gettin' fidgetty
  Being snowed octagonally,crystally
  said damn on this
  and pixellatidly pissed
  gave the World a middleing digitally.....