Author Topic: New bmw 3 series soon?  (Read 13867 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 03:51:53 pm »

haha, and I bought the VW for the car and not the brand!  

Actually, they may not be as sporting, but I think they're equally as good in other areas - within the segments they compete. I'd consider the Touareg the BEST SUV on the market, so long as you're not looking for the most interior space possible.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 07:33:23 pm »
Siraqua seems to be having a kind of VW-brainstorm....

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 09:16:38 pm »
Brainstorm or Brainwash?
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 07:46:38 am »
Brainwash would fit it better.
Thx Jscc.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 10:09:37 am »

Hmmmmm... how shall I respond to that???  

Not in a razzin' mood (for a change) so I guess I'll let your comment off easy... this time :P  But next time... well... you'd best watch out!

VW Group defender of the universe... AQUAMAN, over 'n out.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2004, 10:12:06 am »
The Touareg is a real SUV and quite capable. The Reg, with exception of the Hummer family, probably at the top of its class as far as off-road prowess.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2004, 03:39:15 pm »
Oh ok...so this is a true story:  

The best story I can think of about my Grand Cherokee, and it's capabilities, took place in beggining 2004. My dog Jake and I were heading up to do some snowshoeing towards Lonesome Lake, in the Greenwater, Washington area. The mountains had experienced a much lighter than normal snowfall for January/February, but the area had been hit with a snowstorm, followed by rain, then another snowstorm. Needless to say, it was pretty messy.  

When we pulled off of the paved road, the driver of a VW Touareg flagged us down. He explained that it was too icy to go much further, and that he just about slid off the road trying to turn around. Never one to back down from a challenge,  

Now, I am certainly not going to do something that could put me, my dog or my Grand Cherokee in danger, but there are things a man needs to know for himself. Like, how icy is "too" icy. I thanked him for the warning, and was preparing to attempt the climb. Not an overly steep climb, but a long, steady, winding climb nonetheless.  

As I started to pull away, I heard sirens. A Greenwater Aide truck was moving pretty fast up the road behind me. As it passed us, I turned to the driver of the Touareg, and said "He's 2wd, he's not going to make it much farther without chains". Right about then I could hear his tires start spinning on the icy road. With the tires still spinning forward, the vehicle started sliding back at us. I yelled at the VW guy to move, and I jumped on the gas to get out of the way. The front end grabbed, and I was able to move just before he came barreling through where I had been sitting. The aide car hit the ditch and embankment where I was sitting so hard, the front wheels came off the ground a few inches.  

We ran over to make sure the driver and passenger were okay. They were fine. A little shaky, but fine. At that point a Wa. State Patrolman pulled up in his Chevy Caprice with studs on all four wheels. He explained that a truck had gone over the edge toward the top, and knew that there was at least one injury, maybe more. I offered to drive him up to the scene, and before he could answer me a "good ol' boy" pulled up in an old Willys Jeep, chained up on all four wheels. He told the State Patrolman that there was no way I would be able to get up that road since I didn't have studs or chains. The Patrolman kind of rolled his eyes and said "I better ride with him, he's got chains". I agreed, as it was a sure way to get up the mountain.  

We packed as much gear as we could in that old Willys. Back boards, collars and first aid kits. Anything you could think of. When they pulled away, we started to try and figure out how to get the aide car out of the ditch it was in. A few minutes into that process, the Patrolman radioed down asking if the guy with the Grand Cherokee Jeep was still there. They said I was, and he asked if I'd be willing to meet Medic One at the main road, and bring up a Paramedic/Firefighter and more gear. Turns out there were two men injured in the accident. Of course, I got in my Grand Cherokee and headed down towards the main road.  

I picked up Paul, the Paramedic/Firefighter at the main road, we loaded up a ton more gear, and headed up the mountain. On the way up, we passed four other trucks that had either slid off the road into the ditch, or worse yet, one had slid off the road into trees keeping them from going over the side. They all seemed to be making progress in getting freed, so we kept moving up. We didn't talk much, except for when Paul told me to quit "white knuckling" the steering wheel. We both had a nervous laugh as we pulled up to the scene.  

When the State Patrolman saw us pull up, he smiled and said, "glad to see you could make it." I got out, looked at the "good ol' boy" with the chained up Willys and smiled. Paul headed over to where the Nissan Pathfinder had backed off the edge, and flipped, end-over-end, backwards down the slope. The Patrolman said that both guys were in their 60s, were stable, and should be okay. They were both obviously a little shaken up though. As a precaution, they would be strapped to back boards to stabilize their backs and necks.  

Two ambulances had already slid off the road trying to get up to where we were, so the State Patrolman asked if I'd be willing to shuttle one of the guys down the mountain. As I scrambled to get Jake the dog, and all my gear in the front seat, the Medic's started heading for my Grand Cherokee. I folded down the wide side of the back seat, and we slowly slid the patient in. There I am, sitting in my Grand Cherokee, with my dog, and some guy I don't know, strapped to a board. He looked up at me and asked who I was. "I'm Jim, and I guess I'm your ride off the mountain today," I joked. He laughed while I tried to keep Jake from licking his forehead.  

An EMT also named Jim, got in next to the patient, to stabilize his head as we started heading down the mountain. We went very slow; 1st gear, low range, to avoid using the brakes and keep as much traction as possible. The only time we stopped was to ask the driver of an ambulance that had gone off the road if he was okay. We only stopped for a minute, but in that minute we were standing still, my Grand Cherokee started to slide sideways toward the ditch. You see, we were stopped on a part of the road with a slight bank to the left, and the ice was so slick that we started sliding. I told Jim we had to get going or we'd be in the ditch too. I goosed the gas, and turned the wheel a little to the right. As usual, the front end grabbed and pulled us straight up onto the road again.  

As we rounded the last turn towards the bottom of the mountain, I could see another ambulance waiting for us. We pulled alongside the "new" ambulance and everyone started moving real fast to get the patient out of my Grand Cherokee and into his new ride. Jim the EMT thanked me, and they loaded up and drove away.  

As I watched them pull away, I started thinking about the old guy and his Jeep, chained up all fours, and wondered if he was as impressed with my Jeep Grand Cherokee's performance as me. I love my Jeep, it gets me everywhere I want to be!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2004, 03:51:42 pm »
Good story, Multi, thanks for sharing it with us. I had a '93 GC as a co. driver for about a year and found it very competent in the snow/ice.  

Unfortunately, Jake never got to go snowshoeing !!
Where is Greenwater, WA exactly as I am unfamiliar with that name?
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Crolly

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2004, 04:03:34 pm »
That's a great adventure Multi... an event that will linger on no matter what. Thanks for sharing.

X_ouch

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2004, 04:10:49 pm »
I can take my S2000 to the track or auto-x I can have fun with it, and it's all legal. Just because I can go 200km/h doesn't mean I do it!

That's right, buy things you don't need is the way to be cool. Anyways.

You see, I don't get this at all. You guys keep on emphasizing that some people buy a nice car because they like it, ok, so far so good. But then in other posts people constantly :censor: about why japanese cars are much more reliable compare to the price of the vehicles. So what's the deal here? You buy something that you like and at the same time :censor: about its cons.  

If it's about statues, it's even more bs than ever! People who consider buying a BMW3 for themselves don't think about buying a econo box, that's alright. How then can you explain when we see a higher luxurious brand car being sold in some economical car dealerships as a used car?

I've seen them, but they don't last long because usually they are priced cheap.

With the above observation, I can conclude that  
1) It's pretty cold in Montreal today.
2) You guys didn't read my previous post carefully. In that post I stated "what if you can get 2 cars instead of one?" I wasn't comparing the civic and a corolla with a more expensive and quality-demanding car.  

A similar example like this: http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0405_odd/index1.html

Though I must admit that my example was kinda bad.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2004, 04:35:06 pm »

Multi, that is a well-written description of your incident. Cool story.

Grand Cherokees are superb in the snow and adverse conditions, there's no doubting that. I'd say the Touareg equally or even more so, and if you check the hardware on it, that's hard to dispute as well. If the VW driver said "it's too icey to go much further" he's probably a smart person to realize that no matter what you're driving, it's better to be safe than sorry if you can avoid it. From your story, this sounds to be the case. Of course, some drivers don't pay close enough attention to weather/roads when driving AWD/4WD vehicles or are inexperienced in handling these conditions.

Stroke of luck you were there, and were able to navigate through and help as you did. Should send that one to Jeep ;)  Actually, a few years back I was on the Subaru site and they had similar driver stories on there. It's a good idea. Not sure if they do it now.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2004, 07:38:01 am »
yes, yes yes....
We know now that VW is the best mfgs of the world

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2004, 07:48:59 am »

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2004, 10:35:25 am »
Multi - the scale on that map is large, but I'm guessing you were in the mountains east of Seattle and either N or S of the Interstate. It's rugged country in there. Thanks.

Paradox

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2004, 09:02:38 pm »
Winson said (a ways near the top):
>
> You guys might think I'm weird but I actually
> prefer the current 3 series to this new one.

For the time being, I agree with you Winson.  I was driving down the 401 into Toronto back around 2001 when a still fairly new model 330Ci flew past me, and it was love at first sight.

There's something about the new 3 Series that has put me off.  Maybe it's the way the hood lines wrap all the way down through the grill to the bumper; it's just so...Pontiac (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Then again, I rather disliked the new 5 Series when it first appeared in the show rooms.  But I'm  warming to it now, and the older 5 Series is beginning to look dated.  I remember reading a quote from a BMW executive in C&D when the E46 3 Series first came out, something about how "it is a substantial change from the older model that some find hard to accept, but we (BMW) expect it to hit it's stride in a year or two".  And they were right.

So maybe the 5 and 7 Series will really catch on as more time passes.  And the same will probably happen with the new 3 too.  If that's the way they  work--designing a car not just for today but for a couple of years out from today--that's quite the trick.

Kevin (who looks forward to seeing a 4 Series in the flesh)

Paradox

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2004, 09:25:06 pm »
Golfman posted:
>
> Now to a bigger question: do you think that a majority of people buy
> BMW's (and a lot of other car brands as well) for the wrong reasons;
> i.e., status, and being slavishly influenced by car magazines such as
> 'Car & Driver', who tend to rank BMW's slightly higher than their rivals
> based on their subtle superiority in performance and high-speed handling?

As mentioned in a previous posting, I fell in love with the 3 Series at first sight, and somehow managed to convince my wife (and I still don't believe it worked!) that it was reasonable for us to own one.  Yep, I'd read C&D for years, so I'm sure my attitude was influenced by them, but it was sheer lust for the coupe's lines that resulted in the purchase order.

After we bought the Bimmer, a coworker purchased a new Acura TSX.  Hearing him talk about what it cost and all it came with, I started to think that maybe I had been foolish in paying the bigger dollars for the blue&white roundel.

Then one day that coworker needed me to help him do some car jockying.  I'd owned Hondas for years, and let me say the TSX is one very fine car, I quite enjoyed the ride.  But what I never told him is the favour he'd inadvertantly done for me, 'cause that 5km cruise put into clear perspective the difference between the protractor and the propellor blades.

Kevin (who's quite reassured now he did the right thing)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2004, 09:58:36 pm »
How then can you explain when we see a higher luxurious brand car being sold in some economical car dealerships as a used car?

'Cause they bought lease returns at auction and hope to make $4000 selling a used BMW instead of $1000 selling a new Kia.  One of our Mazda dealers has a steady supply of Mercedes that are the cars of the family that owns the dealership.  They sell their "cast offs" at the dealer.  There is a Pontiac dealership that seems to have a good supply of 2000-2002 BMWs on their used lot.  They sell well, so they buy them at auction for resale.  BMW lease returns can have a high profit margin and are usually well maintained and require little to get them lot-ready.  If you think those luxury cars were traded on base Civics and KIA's, you're mistaken.

If it's about statues, it's even more bs than ever!

I am a little fuzzy on this one.  Statues?  In Edmonton we have a statue of Wayne Gretzky in front of the hockey rink.  Can't think of any others around my parts.  Do you have many?  Why are we talking about them?

Von_khan

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2004, 10:20:41 am »
Comparing a 330Ci to a TSX is rather... ridiculous. Theres a $20K price difference if Im not mistaken.

Comparing it to the G35 coupe might be a better idea.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2004, 11:07:44 am »
Multi, that was a neat story -- it's nice to hear that "Trail Rated" is in fact more than just a marketing ploy.  Conditions like that are almost beyond my comprehension though.  A) no mountains around here  B) while we do get some nasty icy conditions from time to time, for the most part, our winter driving constists of dry, white roads -- white from salt.  When it's a little sloppy, it's usually just slush.  I can appreciate the need for a proper SUV in conditions / activities like you've described.  

From what I've read the Toureg is a very capable off-roader.  Perhaps the one you encountered wasn't as capable because of the tires?  I would imagine if the Toureg is equipped with more highway-friendly tires versus the Jeep's more off-road oriented ones, it would make a tremendous difference, no?

That's right, buy things you don't need is the way to be cool. Anyways.

Nice one X-ouch.  Your usual careful thought processes seem to be working here again.

I'm sure the enjoyment and excitement from driving an impressive sports machine in safe, track situations is strictly because they want to be "cool".  When you grow past your teen years, you'll find that there's a heck of a lot more to life than simply worrying about what's cool or what isn't and who else might be doing what and whether or not that's cool.

Having owned a BMW, I can tell you that I was quite dismissive of the make until I drove one.  The overall driving experience fully lives up to expectations, even at low speeds.  It's smooth, solid and refined.  There are many feelings one gets from driving a Civic that elevates it above a Cavalier... but for better or worse, those same sensations come through in the TSX too (nimble, but not as solid as the German counterparts).  A BMW (and Audi, from my experience) takes the safety and overall solid, secure handling feeling above that of the comparable Honda products.  It's just my opinion, but it is one that is shared by many people (one of my colleagues traded his 3-series for a TL-S two years ago.  He's so bored of it now he can't wait to get another German car).

The benefits of driving a BMW aren't always tangible.  Many people do fall for the marketing -- so be it, it's their money.  But rest assured, if Bimmers were strictly about image, Car and Driver would not constantly rate them so high -- indeed, they'd be more like a Jaguar then (more image than substance perhaps?).  I love my Audi and even though it's new, there are still qualities about my BMW that I miss -- the propeller badge isn't one of them.

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla