Author Topic: Insurance and being impaired  (Read 4272 times)

Duane_of_barrie

Insurance and being impaired
« on: August 22, 2005, 08:07:42 pm »
A good friend of mine has had his driver’s license suspended for impaired driving. Although I don’t agree with his choice here he still remains my friend. I would like to help him sell his vehicle as he doesn’t anticipate driving for quite awhile. He has found the money to get the vehicle out of the “pound”. Now he needs to sell it. How can he get the vehicle insured while not having a license so that potential buyers can test-drive it? I have an excellent driver’s record and low insurance rates as a consequence. Is there anything I can do to help him?

Offline skypoint

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • Give me a turbo or give me death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 08:42:02 pm »
Don't most potential buyers' existing insurance policies (assuming they are insured) provide 3rd party liability on other cars so long as consent s given to drive it?

Or is it just my policy?
Black 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 10:51:34 pm »
If that's true, I'll have to mention it to me dad.  Maybe he'll start letting my borrow his vehicle.  :-)

Barrie1

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 11:44:18 pm »
If he hasen't been convicted yet then he is still innocent until proven guilty. The Insurance should be in effect until his final day in Court when he looses his ticket. I assume there was NO accident involved so they have No reason to pull his Insurance until then. The Police do not notify your Insurance Co, they have to run the search every year to find out unless there is a claim.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 04:21:19 am »
I agree with what Barrie is saying. Even though he loses his licence automatically for 90 days after blowing over the legal limit (I'm assuming here without going into all the legal mumbo-jumbo) I would THINK that he would still have insurance on the vehicle.  

There's nothing wrong with helping a friend out. A good friend is there even when we make stupid decisions. He's in for a rough (and expensive) ride so he'll need you to stick by him.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 09:17:40 am »
I can't see how the insurance would be affected by his suspension, AS LONG AS HE ISN'T DRIVING.

If he were married, his spouse could continue to drive.  The car is still insured, as long as it is a licensed driver doing the driving.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.