Author Topic: 2022 Toyota Camry SE Hybrid Nightshade  (Read 4505 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: 2022 Toyota Camry SE Hybrid Nightshade
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 11:38:03 am »
The absence of hybrid badges on the latest cars (including 2022 Venza from what I heard) likely indicates that Toyota is going to make the hybrid powertrain their default ICE option. Plug-ins will have the badges since it's their current cutting edge technology for a little while.
P.S. I can't see why they wouldn't use orange cables under hood, if only for safety, but they also look cool.

The more efficient LE Hybrid (different battery) still has the badges. And I liked the orange cables too, for the same reasons!

Interesting. They quietly switched Corolla hybrid to Li-ion around 2021, I thought it would be the same trend with the Camry. Li packs are lighter but Ni-MH reportedly perform better in the cold.
My car has a Li-ion one and shows much better mileage when temps are above zero.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 11:40:07 am by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2022, 12:14:48 pm »
I really, really like the ES300h with this powertrain.

I booked the 2022 ES 250AWD for my b-day week in April - job perks  :)  It will be my first time in a ES! The tester will have the premium pkg, a $3,700 option that basically brings the ES up to Camry XLE level (heated steering wheel, nav, wireless charging, rain-sensing wipers, auot-dimming mirror, etc.). And it's in my fave color, silver over black. The 300h starts at $54k.

For 2022, the Camry XLE is only available with the Hybrid drivetrain, a bit of an ES 300h redux for $39k.
Personally, I'd go for the Ultra. With all the options and features, it's optioned similarly to an LS from not too long ago. The 17 speaker Levinson was the first with PurePlay. This with the super quiet interior sounds spectacular.

The panoramic/birds eye monitor on that trim would come in handy, she's a big girl

Nice interior though. I liked that the controls were more logically laid out than our RX, and the heated wheel  elements (IIRC) went all the way around

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2022, 01:41:44 pm »
The absence of hybrid badges on the latest cars (including 2022 Venza from what I heard) likely indicates that Toyota is going to make the hybrid powertrain their default ICE option. Plug-ins will have the badges since it's their current cutting edge technology for a little while.
P.S. I can't see why they wouldn't use orange cables under hood, if only for safety, but they also look cool.

The more efficient LE Hybrid (different battery) still has the badges. And I liked the orange cables too, for the same reasons!

Interesting. They quietly switched Corolla hybrid to Li-ion around 2021, I thought it would be the same trend with the Camry. Li packs are lighter but Ni-MH reportedly perform better in the cold.
My car has a Li-ion one and shows much better mileage when temps are above zero.

Li-ion in the Camry LE, Ni-MH in the SE, XSE and XLE.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2024, 09:03:25 am »
Forgot to update this...

I learned from a Toyota exec that the Nighshade pkg was a last minute add-on for the Canadian market, hence the absence of the heated steering wheel, a feature useless for the y'alls. This was corrected for the following model year, so if shopping for a used Camry, a '22 Nighshade won't have heated steering wheel, but a '23 will.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2024, 09:27:04 am »
I really, really like the ES300h with this powertrain.

I booked the 2022 ES 250AWD for my b-day week in April - job perks  :)  It will be my first time in a ES! The tester will have the premium pkg, a $3,700 option that basically brings the ES up to Camry XLE level (heated steering wheel, nav, wireless charging, rain-sensing wipers, auot-dimming mirror, etc.). And it's in my fave color, silver over black. The 300h starts at $54k.

For 2022, the Camry XLE is only available with the Hybrid drivetrain, a bit of an ES 300h redux for $39k.
Personally, I'd go for the Ultra. With all the options and features, it's optioned similarly to an LS from not too long ago. The 17 speaker Levinson was the first with PurePlay. This with the super quiet interior sounds spectacular.

The panoramic/birds eye monitor on that trim would come in handy, she's a big girl

Nice interior though. I liked that the controls were more logically laid out than our RX, and the heated wheel  elements (IIRC) went all the way around

and as the song says: ..nice ass, shame about the face. ;D