Author Topic: Consumer Reports on average, electric vehicles are less reliable  (Read 2724 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
Re: Consumer Reports on average, electric vehicles are less reliable
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2023, 08:08:12 pm »
.  5-6k is what it should cost for Hyundai Canada to replace a 9kWh pack.

And I should be a movie star. :)

Manufacturers themselves are saying the bottleneck for profit is primarily the battery tech. And they are saying this openly now. Even GM, with a new next generation vehicle/battery platform says they MIGHT be profitable sometime between 2025-2028.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 08:12:13 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2023, 08:17:29 pm »

Manufacturers themselves are saying the bottleneck for profit is primarily the battery tech. And they are saying this openly now. Even GM, with a new next generation vehicle/battery platform says they MIGHT be profitable sometime between 2025-2028.

All their whining is about making governments subsidize the new tech. And governments do, just look at the billions ON and feds are paying to build these battery plants.

And you should be a movie star.  :)

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2023, 08:20:54 pm »

All their whining is about making governments subsidize the new tech. And governments do, just look at the billions ON and feds are paying to build these battery plants.

And you should be a movie star.  :)
Or, all their whining is the truth and they are tempering expectations...with reality.

And I should be a movie star!

But much like battery tech, I think the costs of making me palatable to movie goers would eat up any profits!! LOL [emoji38]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 08:37:14 pm by rrocket »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2023, 12:08:39 pm »
My 2014 Volt saturday Dec 2nd odometer is 193,568 km
Son's 2015 Volt this morning odometer is 240,675 km
Both are still running strong for now.

GM seem to have done a good job on the battery management systems, related to liquid cooling, warming(?) and obviously power circuits. I thought H did too but then again there needs to be statistics, not a couple of media stories.

PHEV's fare the worst in the Consumer Reports study, but they are dragged down by the Pacifica Hybrid, crowned the least reliable vehicle on the market, and I presume by the high-volume Wrangler 4xe's. They name the RAV4 Prime as the very best of everything, yet it's the worst lemon on the market in salt-heavy QC. YMMV.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist