Author Topic: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo Review and Video  (Read 1870 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo Review and Video
« on: November 01, 2022, 09:04:03 pm »
A performance wagon that’s practical, too, the Taycan GTS Sport Turismo is terrific.
Read more...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo Review and Video
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 08:52:25 am »
Fortunately, those pit stops shouldn’t take long, with DC fast-charging capabilities that can boost the 93.4-kWh battery pack from five to 80 per cent in a claimed 23 minutes. More impressive still was the 37 minutes it took during testing to charge the battery from 59 to 99 per cent. Considering the process slows considerably beyond 80 per cent for this or any other EV, that time spent hooked up to a public station was more than reasonable.

I don't know anybody that would consider 23 minutes not long or 37 minutes impressive.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 09:45:45 am »
Fortunately, those pit stops shouldn’t take long, with DC fast-charging capabilities that can boost the 93.4-kWh battery pack from five to 80 per cent in a claimed 23 minutes. More impressive still was the 37 minutes it took during testing to charge the battery from 59 to 99 per cent. Considering the process slows considerably beyond 80 per cent for this or any other EV, that time spent hooked up to a public station was more than reasonable.

I don't know anybody that would consider 23 minutes not long or 37 minutes impressive.

23 minutes isn't terrible.  The key is, how far can you go on that 23 minute charge?  If you can drive 400kms, or 4 hours before your next 23 min charge, then I think it actually makes roadtrips feasible.  We were stopping every four hours for gas on our Alberta/BC road trip.  By the time we fill up with gas, have a bite to eat out of our snack bag, or pop into the C-store to use the RR and top up on snacks, we were probably close to 20 min per stop.

Of course, there's the simple fact the EV chargers are still fairly hard to come by in this country, and the chances of having to wait for one to open up can be quite high. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 10:22:03 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 10:17:51 am »
Now I know one person  ;D

Looks like the range is around 400 km on a full charge so at 80% you are getting around 320 km. Clearly not a road tripping car for everybody.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 10:21:17 am »
Now I know one person  ;D

Looks like the range is around 400 km on a full charge so at 80% you are getting around 320 km. Clearly not a road tripping car for everybody.

I think we're getting to the point where it's starting to look feasible.

Of course, there are so many variables that throw it off.  Currently I think roadtripping would only work with 'ideal' conditions.  Start adding in cold/inclement weather, lineups at charging stations, non-functional charging stations (that's turning out to be a HUGE issue, especially if you're not on the Tesla supercharging network), and it quickly goes from 'this could actually work' to, 'man, I wish I had a gas powered car on this trip'.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 10:38:26 am »
Guys, you have to realize that someone who can afford a Taycan GTS probably has multiple vehicles and one of which would likely be ICE or PHEV, and be able to do typical road trips with short fueling stops.

I get that the times to charge and the distances are not the best currently, but this will almost exclusively be used as a commuter and only shorter local trips.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 10:41:24 am »
Guys, you have to realize that someone who can afford a Taycan GTS probably has multiple vehicles and one of which would likely be ICE or PHEV, and be able to do typical road trips with short fueling stops.

I get that the times to charge and the distances are not the best currently, but this will almost exclusively be used as a commuter and only shorter local trips.

It would still be cool to do a roadtrip in an EV at a fraction of the cost of in an ICE vehicle.  And yeah, this is an expensive car, but like every other tech, eventually it will all trickle down to the mainstream.  I give it another ten years for this type of tech to be accessible to the majority of us.

The Tesla Model 3 and Model Y are already 'kinda' accessible, being priced at the same level as a BMW 3-series, and they seem to have the range to be able to work well on roadtrips.  Yeah, not quite full mainstream yet, but getting there. 

Like I said, we're not quite there yet, where and EV could be a full replacement for an ICE vehicle in every situation, but we're pretty darn close.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 12:11:23 pm »
I think for 2-vehicle households, as people need to buy new vehicles, they will choose a current ICE to keep around and go EV with the other.  In our case, I could see replacing the Outback with something EV and doing the bulk of our local miles on that, while keeping the Pilot around as a secondary/Costco/roadtrip car.